Sign in to follow this  
darrencnz

My E30 M52B28 Project

Hey people

Thought i'd post some pics of the transplant, pretty happy with how it all went, no major dramas really...

Here's the car...

post-51521-0-59755200-1410587833.jpg

Engine before...

post-51521-0-88628000-1410586981_thumb.j

New motor...

post-51521-0-30230200-1410587056_thumb.j

M50 Inlet manifold conversion...

post-51521-0-44683100-1410587745.jpg

post-51521-0-79386800-1410587326_thumb.j

E36 steering rack...

post-51521-0-04688600-1410587374.jpg

Cleaned up the engine bay, added a VW Golf booster and modified the steering knuckle...

post-51521-0-14077300-1410587170_thumb.j

New motor in...

post-51521-0-46086000-1410587441_thumb.j

post-51521-0-06482500-1410587448_thumb.j

post-51521-0-38512100-1410587455_thumb.j

Lightened the flywheel, new steering arms and tie rod ends, replaces the gearbox and engine mounts, new centre prop bearing and flex coupling, new wheel bearings, new brakes, pads and rotors, new front and rear shocks and replaced the radiator with a 318ti.

New exhaust system next week and sort out the ECU and she'll be right trev....

Edited by darrencnz
  • Like 1

Very nice. Who did your flywheel lightening. And what sort of price did it run you.

Very nice. Who did your flywheel lightening. And what sort of price did it run you.

MS Coombes in Christchurch, they only took a kilo off the rear so it weighs 7kg now. Cost me $90 +GST, i could've removed more but meant setting it up on the rotary table and just cost more money to get another 500 grams if i'm lucky so i didn't bother. There's quite a bit of material you can remove off the starter motor side which is just what i did.

Clutch side, they just faced it off....

post-51521-0-31030800-1410589571_thumb.j

Engine/starter motor side...

post-51521-0-41697000-1410589612_thumb.j

Edited by darrencnz

nice. I am interested in doing this swap myself sometime. Not too difficult is it? What gearbox did you use?

I just used standard 240 5spd, am just at the point now where i have to do something about the trans xmember. it leans the engine/box over around 15 degrees from where it usually is so the standard xmember dont work, im going to custom make one to how i want it.

Its relatively straight forward, but just do ya research and read up on everything, theres not a lot custom fabrication needed that you can do yourself or pretty cheaply.

If you use a 240 from a m40 e30 then you don't need to worry about the engine tilt as the m40 sits on the same angle so box bolts right in with no modification to linkage or cross member.

But looking good, I like that color. Not one you see often.

If you use a 240 from a m40 e30 then you don't need to worry about the engine tilt as the m40 sits on the same angle so box bolts right in with no modification to linkage or cross member.

But looking good, I like that color. Not one you see often.

i didnt know that! Mine was a NZ new factory 5spd so it is the box that was in it. Yeah, everyone comments on the colour too, i'd like some nice black interior as it's factory blue colour... That will be the next mission.

This explains why I haven't seen this cruising round chch in a while, looking good man :)

• Like 1

I used a getrag 260 behind my m52b28, modded the xmember like this.. (standard xmember up front). Uses the standard rubber mountings.

NWQV2QO.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, in hindsight i wish i actually took some time to make one like yours and use the original cross member. I made a new one to suit but if i did what you did, i'd have less hassle with warrants... Will see how we go...

post-51521-0-51482000-1413277556_thumb.j

That is why i did it, everything that is non-standard requires a cert from the engineer=$$$$$$. Mine was a real picky bloke, went through the underside with a fine toothcomb, didnt spot it...

Yours looks like the one i made for my m60 conversion, strong like Russia!!! :) I also combined it with the driveshaft hoop (which I didnt need for the m52 conversion, was not required when I did the conversion back in 2008).

m60.. all 6mm angle/plate.

7tjUd3f.jpg

KshWcWh.jpg

on car

DiPVtc8.jpg

Edited by will
  • Like 1

Ive now made an amatuer mistake.... When i sold the old motor i got rid of the loom as well and forgot (didnt know) i'd need to relay box that attaches near left front suspension strut for the DME and the fuel pump.

I went to start it on Saturday and realised my fuel pump was turned on as soon as i attached the battery, i knew at this point something was up, i turned it over anyway and did nothing at all so i did some research and it appears i am missing that relay box.

Please let me know your thoughts, i understand it has 3 relays, can anyone tell me if i need all 3 or just the main DME and fuel pump one?

The M52 engine loom has all the relays etc necessary to run the motor, all you need to do is splice it into the C101 plug next to the fuse box. Can give you all the details if you need some help.

the 3 bulk head relay should be on its own loom? Have you c101 pin out? sounds like fuel pump is wired to constant?

especially if you are planning to run without a cert, it is a bad idea to use a custom mount, its very obvious.

Even if you do get cert, the gearbox isnt designed to run on an angle, better off using the correct gearbox for the job, M40 G240 or a M5x gearbox

especially if you are planning to run without a cert, it is a bad idea to use a custom mount, its very obvious.

Even if you do get cert, the gearbox isnt designed to run on an angle, better off using the correct gearbox for the job, M40 G240 or a M5x gearbox

The extra angle isnt really a problem.

Have a cert with a m50/g260 combo no problems

not saying you won't get a cert.

Im saying if you plan on running with no cert, then a modified bracket is going to be very obvious

not saying you won't get a cert.

Im saying if you plan on running with no cert, then a modified bracket is going to be very obvious

ohh! yup that's true! I don't think there would be much interest in making m50/260 gbox mounts (solid) would there? I made a set for mine.

ohh! yup that's true! I don't think there would be much interest in making m50/260 gbox mounts (solid) would there? I made a set for mine.

im not a race guy yet, but I'm pretty sure i have read somewhere solid gearbox mounts but rubber engine mounts are not a good combo, everything needs to be the same

im not a race guy yet, but I'm pretty sure i have read somewhere solid gearbox mounts but rubber engine mounts are not a good combo, everything needs to be the same

its a good thing i have solid engine mounts! haha

Edited by jkhan05

Yeah, i may change it and customise my original mount at some point or just wait and upgrade the gearbox and run the standard mount, im not sure just yet...

Getting a warrant for this isn't really a problem for me, and if i really wanted to, i could make an aluminium section to cover it and no-one would be any wiser, if people wanted to get really tech then the engine should be certed too because of the additional capacity and power output but to be honest, i dont really give a f**k...

If manual gearboxes were easier to find i would've just put one in but i didn't want to hold up the whole project just for a gearbox when i had one that would work... It seemed pointless at that point, it also gives me a chance to create a version 2.0

Edited by darrencnz

So she's finally a runner, realised whilst testing everything that the thermostat had stuck closed, probably from being dry for a while. I was waiting to test for the electric fan and noticed it wasnt warming up on the lower hose so i replaced that and everything works a treat.

Also put some black interior in and replaced the ugly blue interior.

post-51521-0-41863700-1417239264_thumb.j

post-51521-0-21135200-1417239235_thumb.j

• Like 2