Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

what is this? SPRINTBOOSTER SELECTABLE PROGRAMMING BMW

All it does is mess with the electronic throttle signal, less pedal requests more throttle essentially

So $500 to boost the throttle sensor signal - bargain. A great "performance upgrade" right there, for all those people that can't push the throttle peddle harder..

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

It's the same as the Sport button on an e46 M3

I can't believe people actively sell junk like this.

doesn't make it right

SprintBooster works independently with other modifications, making the car 'feel' Quicker and Faster.
SprintBooster is simple but effective - it makes the car more responsive and thus... more 'fun'!

lol

I would disagree as a "re-map" does exactly that, changing the fuelling, VANOS and ignition maps in the cars ECU which can give increases in torque and power over the factory maps, so there is an actual performance increase.

All this module is doing is taking the signal from the fly-by-wire throttle pedal and amplifiying the signal, basically fooling the car into thinking you have got your foot flat to the floor when it is only 1/4 down for example. Not actually doing anything in terms of performance, just saving your ankle a bit of work. Which is what I am trying to get the seller to admit by trolling his auction, just in case there are people dumb enough to buy this crap.

Again, I would say that is very different to the Sport button in an M3, which does switch to a different set of maps for the engine, gear shift, etc. suspension settings as well as the throttle response (similar to a re-map but on-demand as it were).

• Like 1

I would disagree as a "re-map" does exactly that, changing the fuelling, VANOS and ignition maps in the cars ECU which can give increases in torque and power over the factory maps, so there is an actual performance increase.

All this module is doing is taking the signal from the fly-by-wire throttle pedal and amplifiying the signal, basically fooling the car into thinking you have got your foot flat to the floor when it is only 1/4 down for example. Not actually doing anything in terms of performance, just saving your ankle a bit of work. Which is what I am trying to get the seller to admit by trolling his auction, just in case there are people dumb enough to buy this crap.

Again, I would say that is very different to the Sport button in an M3, which does switch to a different set of maps for the engine, gear shift, etc. suspension settings as well as the throttle response (similar to a re-map but on-demand as it were).

Here you go, some basics on drivers wish

$500 to push the pedal faster.. that's a joke right!?

Is there any actual legitimate use for this?

. Which is what I am trying to get the seller to admit by trolling his auction, just in case there are people dumb enough to buy this crap.

Good on you Jon.

Ummm...where did you get that statement about the sport button on an M3 switching to a different set of maps etc. because I think you are wrong. Anyone else have a definitive answer?

Jon does work for BMW so you'd hope he has an idea or two. There's a tonne of hearsay on the interweb from Sport Mode doing nothing but change throttle response through to Sport Mode activating all sorts of features (stiffer suspension, tighter steering, different maps, etc, etc).

I can tell you that in the E39 auto, Sport Mode does a lot more than make the throttle more sensitive - it completely changes the shift points and makes the shifts harder and faster. No idea whether it changes the maps but I did read somewhere that it selects from a number of preset maps based on your driving style in economy vs sport.

I hated the sport mode in my M5.

Made the steering too heavy for NZ driving. Wtgn to Taupo my wrists hurt the next day.

Throttle was nicer tho.

I thought it injects more snake oil for more power?

• Like 1

I'm talking the E46 M3 sport button. Are you guys talking about the M button? It is a well known fact that on an E46 the sport button does nothing except :

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=123378

Not sure if it's a fact but there's certainly a lot of speculation on the interweb.

All this does is change the voltage curve of the two linear potentiometers (active variable resistors) in the pedal.

You can do the same thing by adjusting the throttle map in ECU or drivers wish as Hans has pointed too.

Non of this has anything to do with engine maps (fuel, ignition etc)

Can't you like... remap a diesel for just a bit more cost and it gives you a decent power increase?

Can't you like... remap a diesel for just a bit more cost and it gives you a decent power increase?

Yes haha, and do the same job at the sprint booster :ph34r:

Terminology is a wonderful thing, have corrected my initial post in this thread.

The visual programming tool in the video Hans posted is a great way of understanding the concepts, shame the bloke talking is not though.

I wish stuff like that was available when I was coding and mapping ECUs for the early electronic controlled diesel FIE, had to do it old school in hex with assembler/disassembler and EPROM blowers. Still a lot easier than working out the mechanical hysteresis of a spring and lever governor assembly though, so it was progress.

Would love to know why you feel a diesel is not as responsive as a petrol though Ron, a lot may depend on your definition of "throttle response"?