Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

Swann Insurance: yay or nay?

I'm pretty apprehensive about anecdotal advice, but I thought I'd put the question out there anyway:

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Swann Insurance?

My insurance is coming up for renewal and I have been thinking about switching to Swann. I've read the policy and nothing jumps out to me as being hugely different to my current AA policy but instead of paying 800ish per year the Swann premium is only 305 with a 12k agreed value.

Too good to be true?

Thanks everyone

Yay, have the Track Day cover also, very supportive.. Great price.. Proof is always in how claims are handled.. no experience yet..

Thanks for finding... Only $330 fully comp and $18.5K agreed cover for the 8 plus track day cover!!

Bear in mind it's classic car insurance though, so they won't insure your daily driver.

Used them many years back for a bike. Seemed quite good to deal with & reasonably priced - but I never had to make a claim.

Yeah thanks guys, I've heard good things from them primarily with regards to pricing and a friend if mine is with them, but I've never heard any stories about any claims.

I'd apply serious salt to any story I get but it'd be nice to know since that's the time you'd need them most.

So I need to send them photos to justify the agreed value, but apparently anything agreed up to 15k if not daily driven has an annual premium of only a spectacular $305

Edited by tidyverty

Have used them for years. No claim experience but very pleasant to deal with. The people I have been dealing with there are into classic cars themselves. Full cover includes glass (mirrors, widescreen, headlights and foggies too I believe). You can get a salvage right extension too. Further discount for additional cars. Yay!

Reviving an old thread after a search. 

After seeking out an insurance broker (One50 Group) they have pointed us in the direction of Swann Insurance. Our premiums are greatly cheaper than with State, with less excess also. Since the last post, has anyone had any hiccups with this provider? Only thing I've come across after reading the "modern classic" policy (e91) is that they use market value. Where as for the "classic car" policy (e30 & e36) it is agreed value. 

Edited by Cammsport
  • Like 1

Still with Swann. Can’t complain. Haven’t had any major incidents which would have required their assistance though. Have agreed value, track extension, salvage rights. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Still with Swann. Can’t complain. Haven’t had any major incidents which would have required their assistance though. Have agreed value, track extension, salvage rights. 

Good to hear.  As for agreed value, did you have to have the car appraised?

Agreed value is in the classic car policy but not the modern classic. 

12 hours ago, Driftit said:

Good to hear.  As for agreed value, did you have to have the car appraised?

Yes, when I took out the cover originally. I have classic cover. Every now and then I review and increase the agreed value. As long as it is in line with the market and nothing outrageous, they will generally accept without much fuss. They will request a new set of pictures every time you do, so they can see the condition of the car.

• Like 1

Holy crap, I just got an agreed value quote from Swann for my M3:

• State (current) - $52pm agreed at 15k (maximum they'll insure it for)
  • Swann - $33pm agreed at 22k with way better options!

I'm moving.

• Like 5

I'm about to move over to them now because my provider isn't interested in insuring my 56 year old morris. 

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

I'm about to move over to them now because my provider isn't interested in insuring my 56 year old morris. 

Why... a single headlight for the X5 will cost more than a complete Morrie rebuild!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Why... a single headlight for the X5 will cost more than a complete Morrie rebuild!

I did mention things along that line. But nah, too cool for them

Just had a very quick chat with a lovely lady and they DO NOT insure cars that are daily driven.

Only for classic/modern classic aka weekend cars.

6 minutes ago, qube said:

Just had a very quick chat with a lovely lady and they DO NOT insure cars that are daily driven.

Only for classic/modern classic aka weekend cars.

Yeah, found that out myself. Will need to insure the M3 and 328 with different groups but Swann is still very attractive for the M3.

How do they determine daily, versus non-daily driven?

My 530i has seen ~6k km in the last 18 months... I wonder how much cheaper than Tower Swann might be.

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

How do they determine daily, versus non-daily driven?

My 530i has seen ~6k km in the last 18 months... I wonder how much cheaper than Tower Swann might be.

I don't know but I said 5-6,000 kms a year and they didn't blink. I did make it clear that it wasn't my DD and that I had another car (which, as above they won't insure).

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

I don't know but I said 5-6,000 kms a year and they didn't blink. I did make it clear that it wasn't my DD and that I had another car (which, as above they won't insure).

That's literally the same situation I am in, actually. I'll give them a call.

Yep My cabby is with them, no claims, in fact i would be surprised if anyone ever has, we dont use the cars, and when we do we are extra 'specially careful with them!

At the time i took the cover out it was my only car, but i prooved that i had an unlimited use company car which they were happy with. of course, now its not my only car. The X5 is insured with ASB which is pretty reasonable cost

Got a fright after I read the above comment about not insuring DD. I ran it past our broker who also rang Swann to confirm. They said they do, but they're just selective with who they insure. There is no mileage cap. 

On 8/25/2018 at 12:18 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

The X5 is insured with ASB which is pretty reasonable cost

I am in the process of moving my insurance from ASB to Classic Cars.

$1400 --> $700 for full cover, cheaper excess, agreed value rather than market value.