Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Headlight Lens touch up?

Hi Grant not trouble with the high beam either they were good but cannot comment on the pre- face lift e39 lights were they glass or still the poly carb? The face lift 2002 530 I had H3,s I think were crap my old sentra had better low beams than it hence the change to the xeons.

You may be correct about the reflectors taking care of the light pattern but if the light has to travel through a degraded lens face then light intensity and quality will suffer and any increase in brightness will only make is worse.

Edited by tim 325

I'll probably just attempt sanding with harsher grit (~800) and go finer, hoping the clear coat will come off. I've already bought some coating I can put after my polishing is complete - probably won't be as good as BMW's one, but whatever. I got a pair of headlights but only really need the left one, so I'll use the right one as an experiment.. hopefully a successful experiment ^.^.

Wanted to avoid buying any knock off headlights/lenses because I wasn't too trusting or sure about their fitment into the OEM ones. I actually don't know whether mine are even OEM as they have the tiny Hella logo on it. Are Hella the OEM suppliers for the e39 headlights?

Gotta take the white angel eye bulb out of my damaged headlight from the 530i and put it into these ones I bought. These came with the gross yellow angel eye bulbs - prefer the white ones way more. The damaged headlights are stilll functioning completely fine but the lens is deeply scratched and the housing has cracks in a few places... guess those cracks can be glued and the lens need to be replaced just to keep a cheap alternative lying around.

I did the wet and dry method on my old 540i and they came up quite well, finished with polycarb polish.

Plenty of products around, I don't know if they are snake oil though ?

http://www.meguiars.co.nz/video/meguiars_headlight_restoration_kit/

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Turtle-Wax-Headlight-Restorer-Kit-1-pack.aspx?pid=283622#Cross

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Rain-X-Headlight-Restoration-Kit-Kit.aspx?pid=330154#Cross

Edited by camera doctor

Yes.

Not sure about that particular car, but sometimes the carmaker doesnt want the supplier logo to be visible without opening the bonnet (legally the manufacturer & type approval markings must be easily visible on the lamp - but BMW dont like it in your face). Aftermarket parts are different though & the manufacturer is able to mark them with a logo. If the Hella logo is visible from outside, you may have aftermarket lamps. In any case, Hella are the only lighting parts I would voluntarily buy or recommend (but I'm a little biased....).

So finally got ONE headlight done. Took literally forever to sand off the original clear coat using 800 grit paper. I think it was 1 hour just to get all the remaining bits of clear coat off probably... After that, went with some 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and final polish, followed by some coating. Here are the results:

BEFORE
10632811_10152780911479161_6777129788042

After 800 Grit Completed (Even'ish Frosting)
15323709049_9ae0d89137_b.jpg

COMPLETED

10432118_10152780911394161_5940971991950

It's not 100% - perhaps need a bit more polish. But is much better than it was and am fairly happy with it. Was going to sell one of them as I only need one - but since both of these are Xenons and my old ones are halogens, might just restore and replace both (and sell my undamaged halogen headlight).