Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

Friendly valet washed my car including the amp

Took my car into valet on my way overseas and asked for a deluxe car wash. They did an incredibly thorough job, including washing the insides of my stock amp which is now dead. sh*t.

I've been wanting to upgrade anyway, so figure now's a handy time. Here's my design, keen on feedback:

First MiniDSP 2x4 taking balanced inputs from Dynavin FL/RL and doing a 2 way active crossover for fronts, full range for rear (passive crossovers) and one left for the sub.

Second MiniDSP 2x4 doing the same but for the Right channels. Both sub L/R get summed together at the amp.

Then I've got a Soundstream TN4.900D doing my fronts and a PN4.520D doing the rears. Both nice and small amps. Currently have a PN1.650D monoblock doing my sub and love it.

At this stage I've still got the stock speakers, but am buying 4 Stereo Integrity TM65 6.5" drivers. If one either side up front sounds good enough I'll see if the other two fit in the roofspace at the back. Don't think I've seen any wiring diagram mention these speaker locations (most of what I've found is for the Sedan).

Parts I don't have figured out yet are the passive crossovers at this stage... so may ditch the rear set all together. Would like some suggestions on some tweeters for the front too, and possible some mids, although I don't want to go too crazy. No big fibreglassing projects for me though please. Once was enough!

i hope that the 'valet' company is forking out some decent cash after destroying your old gear.

Yeah they said they'd fork out. I got them a quote for a replacement amp at $1800+GST, so far the above design comes to a little over half that.

how the F do you 'wash' an amp that's inside the car???

• Like 1

I really have no idea, the only thing I can think of is the guy washing it was using something pretty high pressure angled in the wrong direction and water ended up inside the car and dripped down to the amp.

Thought of using a ppi dsp 88-R rather than the mini dsp's? Can be imported for less than $400 nz.

Would give you 8 outputs , and three inputs. (4 channel in , 2channel in , 1toslink in.) you can also connect a hands free bt connection and will do audio source switching on in coming call.

Otherwise other gear looking good !

Pretty sure I've got the standard amp from the E39 I parted somewhere in the shed if you're looking for an interim fix :)

Also, sounds like you might have similar water ingress problems to my E39 wagon. Check the tail light seals and pull the bungs out of the wheel well to let any sitting water out before it nukes your airbag compressor. Sounds like a nice setup planned dude!

Thanks for the offer, I've purchased replacement parts now, as the valet have forked out, so they should be here in a couple of weeks. I think I can cope until then!

Will check those thanks!

Edited by jcerecke