Sign in to follow this  
pjay

E36 brake booster into E30?

EDIT: LHS Hard line is corroded. New new line bent up asap pls.

Hi team,

Pretty confident my E30 brake booster is shot. Pedal is spongy as hell and goes to the floor when engine on, and can audibly hear air from the booster when pumping brakes while engine is running.

Sounds like this - not my video but audio is exact the same:

Have bled and re-bled brakes and while engine off the pedal is harder.

Anywho - my main question is, has anyone slapped an E36 booster on their 30? And if so, how easy/hard was this? The internet/Google isn't very helpful today and I'm running out of time so thought I'd ask here before going and forking our for a cheap 36 booster: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/brakes/auction-790232192.htm

Cheers,

Edited by Pjay

is the pedal still going to the floor even after the bleed?

Typical e30. They are all spongy like that. Why e36 booster though ?

Just weighing options. Would prefer a 9 year old second hand part to a 20 year old second hand part if they're the same cost/effictiveness.

is the pedal still going to the floor even after the bleed?

I pretty much just have manual brakes at the mo, no power assist. Can audibly hear air escaping from the booster when I'm depressing pedal.

Rip the booster out and push your foot down harder.

Rip the booster out and push your foot down harder.

Have considered booster delete, but considering I haven't done a leg day ever in my life and work in an office 10+ hours a day, I think I need the assistance.

Pedal being soft when engine is running, and harder with engine off would indicate booster is working.

And pedal going to the floor is nothing to do with the booster. You either still have air in the system or a faulty master cylinder

Upgrading to a clio booster has made a huge difference to the brake assistance and feel, that and also a bigger MC and SS brake lines. Worth.

Nevermind, it's a leak in my hardline LHS. So new question:

Anyone have any advice on who/where can bend up some new brake hard lines for my E30 by Thursday. Hoping to drop my car in and pick up as I'm flat out and need new hard lines before a trackday this weekend or I'm out.

Live in West Auckland, work in CBD - so local to one of those areas preferred unless there's a loan car included.

Tried Race Brakes who referred me yo HiTech but can't get the lines out and in today.

Ray to the rescue as usual! I'll pick up the hardlines I need from HellBM today and hopefully hoist up tonight or tomorrow.