Sign in to follow this  
bradi65

1986 e30 steering rack into 1987 325i ?

Hey guys,

Anyone know if a 1986 e30 318i steering rack will fit into a e30 1987 325i ?

Need it for a WOF :/

Pretty sure it will fit in place and all bolt up correctly, the only difference might be the number of turns from lock-to-lock for the rack. Would still get you a warrant though.

Is it not easier / cheaper to stop the existing rack from leaking?

Pretty sure it will fit in place and all bolt up correctly, the only difference might be the number of turns from lock-to-lock for the rack. Would still get you a warrant though.

Is it not easier / cheaper to stop the existing rack from leaking?

The garage wanted to charge me $500 to pull it out and replace the seals on the rack, i found the 1986 rack for $100 buck so i figured if i can swap it out this weekend and get my recheck done by 28 days then it'll be cheaper and i will have learned a bit of knowledge on swapping the rack since i want to upgrade to an E36 rack ? ( i think thats the one) at some stage. Then hope fully i can rebuild the old one and either sell it or keep for a spear,

Ah, Ok, makes sense. If you are paying someone to do it then yes, can be cheaper to swap in another rack.

Just make sure the one you are getting has no leaks, double-check with the seller.

Ah, Ok, makes sense. If you are paying someone to do it then yes, can be cheaper to swap in another rack.

Just make sure the one you are getting has no leaks, double-check with the seller.

cheers mate hopefully it doesn't have any leaks he said it didn't but it cant be worse than mine squirting fluid out everywhere, just jacked it up this morning so gona try swap it out today.