Sign in to follow this  
Dgtnzd

18, Poor, e30 Obsessed

Hello Bimmersport, I'm an 18 year old building apprentice from Pukekohe. I have had the BMW bug inserted into me and have had 3 since.

My first Bavarian money waster was my first car also, a 320i manual which was unfortunately green stickered (PO Ripped off sticker) a little back story on that:

I brought It for 500 with a torn apart engine (PO thought he was a mechanic and got a bit lost) after a week of having it and piecing it together I came across an engine for 200 off a Facebook page and decided it was easier. So headed to the old mans for a hand and had it swapped in a few weekends, it would of been done in one but the motor was out a different model e30 and looms had to be cut blah blah.

After the run in with the rozzers I parted it out and made my money back, which I regret everyday as it had a mint body and basically 0 rust. After that I went through a mixture of dreary Japanese econoboxes and was yet to find something that tickled my ass the same as the e30.

Sooo I brought another one

post-36805-14137084172383.jpg

1989 318i with a slipping autotragic gearbox and a day left of wof and reg. after looking for an auto box to get it moving again I came across a dreg 1991 318i in Waihi for 300 bucks. A dodgy midnight drive back home I looked over it and found it was a jap import with 0 rust and it made me a little sad to know it was going to be stripped, but the thought of re-vinning it was quickly crushed by the cost factor. This is where my introduction will end but my build thread will start, stay tuned

post-36805-14137094610522.jpg

sounds like a great start, look forward to hearing you progess!

If you dont mind, while not essential, would be good if you can fill out the rest of your profile details, at the very least name and location!

The E30 bug bites pretty hard

Let me know if the photos are of right size and quality

Its a real shame what happens to the majority of these poor e30s.. tough rough life..

Yeh it makes me cry a little inside, makes me want to buy everyone that comes up for sale, I hope I can save both of these, maybe making one a track car but with limited expenses and a baby in the way,trying to save the e30 isn't top on my priority list (and my girlfriends)

Edited by Dgtnzd

Welcome.

I'm looking froward to watching the progress on this.

Just out of curiosity. What is the cost of re-vinning these days?

Decided I'm going to re-vin as there is to much rust in the red one, and the grey one is just to mint to waste, I will post when I find out the total cost

Welcome.

I'm looking froward to watching the progress on this.

Just out of curiosity. What is the cost of re-vinning these days?

$500 ish to go through, and you have to pay that regardless of if it passes or is ready for the scrapper, a pretty big gamble on a $300 E30

$500 ish to go through, and you have to pay that regardless of if it passes or is ready for the scrapper, a pretty big gamble on a $300 E30

Run it through a trusted mechanic or dealer for wof check first. You can't GET a wof but it will highlight any major issues, then decide if recompliance is worthwhile

Run it through a trusted mechanic or dealer for wof check first. You can't GET a wof but it will highlight any major issues, then decide if recompliance is worthwhile

yes that was my intention too, VTNZ here werent interested in doing that but VINZ was, but then ended up selling the car, was a tidy E30 316i manual

Had a wof less then a year ago and no apparent rust, will be sending to a mechanic to have a look over, needs a few small things I've noticed but nothing major. Does 500 include the Rego?

Edited by Dgtnzd

Think the $500 is just the inspection cost, rego is on top. Have heard the average is about $700 but that includes licensing.

You're not Grants son are you?

I'm one of Shane's mates. Your dad helped me arrange a shoot for my mates stag do in a farm up the peninsula a couple years back, think I recall you hooning around on the quad while we blew sh*t up :)

Save all the effing around and shove the XR6 turbo motor that your old mans had sitting around into it ;) you'll probably twist the chassis in half with the torque but hell it'd be fun!!

Oh yeh I remember that one haha was a good day, and funny you say that, when I had my first one and we're doing and engine change we looked over into the garage and saw it sitting there looking for a new home but with no money the idea was crushed haha.

Give it a while til things settle down with your little one then rip into it :)

In all seriousness, welcome aboard. Plenty of guys here that know their stuff with E30s, M50/52, M60, even S50 conversions all done and well documented too.

• Like 1

looks like the number plate has been to hell and back. pretty decent indeed for 3 spot anyway

Didn't mention the brand new tyres it had, or the Mint interior

Think the $500 is just the inspection cost, rego is on top. Have heard the average is about $700 but that includes licensing.

?

Vtnz tauranga was 320 for the inspection then about 200 for plates and 6 month reg. on my e32 being pre 1990 it's dearer if newer. if you are going to to any certable suspension mods then do this before the inspection