Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Faded/peeling paint

Popped across the road from work yesterday evening to get some bread and suchlike, and saw a really tidy-looking Techno Violet E36 in the carpark. Went to have a look, and a bemused owner coming out of the shop gave me a funny look. I'm sure I'd do the same.

We got talking, I mentioned the forum, and he asked about bodywork and paint. Specifically, the bonnet on his car has a couple of areas of fade and a hint of peeling. Catch it now and perhaps it'll be fine?

It got me thinking though - is it practical to spray just the bonnet of a 15 year old car, especially one with a more unusual colour like violet? I suspect it must be done for stonechips and suchlike, but how effective is it?

Any suggestions for someone who'd do a really good job?

not an expert but i would probably imagine that it would need to be "blushed" or "faded" into the side fenders to make it look even. even if you colour match or get paint made from the colour code it wont look the same as the rest of the car due to age/weather blah blah.

must be hundreds of people who do it, not sure about whos good though. someone else might chime in

Body shops certainly aren't uncommon... It's sorting the good from the bad that's needed.

I thought I'd ask as I need to get some work done on the Merc where a wing was replaced and presumably not painted as well as the original job: the lacquer has lifted along the top. It's the only part of the car where this has happened.