Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Cheap painter...

I need to paint a lower front spoiler, rear diffuser, wing mirrors and sun roof. The spoiler, mirrors and diffuser will require little prep but the sun roof needs a few rust spots treated and sealed before painting.

Was thinking of doing the mirrors and diffuser myself but wondered if I might be able to get a good deal somewhere if I get them all done at the same time. Will need to coincide with replacing the headliner so I don't have to remove the sun roof twice.

Any suggestions of someone who can do a reasonable job on a budget?

from my experience with my guy down here (a bit far for you to come I think!) the bulk of the cost is in mixing up the colour to get that right, regardless if they are making 1L or 10L, to physically paint more surface is next to no difference in cost etc.

I guess what that means is why bother trying it yourself, even though i do recommend DIY in most instances!

from my experience with my guy down here (a bit far for you to come I think!) the bulk of the cost is in mixing up the colour to get that right, regardless if they are making 1L or 10L, to physically paint more surface is next to no difference in cost etc.

I guess what that means is why bother trying it yourself, even though i do recommend DIY in most instances!

Agreed. I was happy to DIY small or unobtrusive parts but sunroof and front bumper are out of my league.

I need to get the wing on the Merc sorted too, so if anyone can recommend someone please shout out!

Josh had some cancer cut out of his sunroof by some blokes in Wairau Rd area I think. Looks pretty good.

I'd throw some paint on for ya but the dust out here is just silly. Then there's the bugs....

• Like 1

I have a guy from work that can paint in a booth for a reasonable price if anyone is interested. Pm me.

I have a guy from work that can paint in a booth for a reasonable price if anyone is interested. Pm me.

Troy - I think your mail box is full. :(

do the prep yourself then pay the expert for the match and the paint,get any stone chips etc done at same time.I got rear ended in the 535,and i only paid an extra few dollars to get my stone chips to disapear at the same time

do the prep yourself then pay the expert for the match and the paint,get any stone chips etc done at same time.I got rear ended in the 535,and i only paid an extra few dollars to get my stone chips to disapear at the same time

Agreed.

Try the guys on trademe who offer services. It will be guys who will encourage you to do as much of the prep work, but they have access to painting booths etc and most of them operate directly out of existing panelbeating shops. Easy coin for them.

Ethrty-Andy who is your go to guy down here?

I'm planning for a new front bumper in the next 3 months and want to start planning (also not to keen on doing the prep work myself: read do not know what I'm doing haha)

I'm planning for a new front bumper in the next 3 months and want to start planning (also not to keen on doing the prep work myself: read do not know what I'm doing haha)

Try getting a hold of bellicose on here, haven't seen him around in ages though.

Have seen photos of his work, pretty good quality. IIRC he's lower Nth Isl somewhere

• Like 1

My mate did my old Msport kit for a couple hundy incl paint. He will be doing the ute. He is pretty good and doesn't charge the world. Do you have the paint or the color code? Ill get you some prices

Try getting a hold of bellicose on here, haven't seen him around in ages though.

Have seen photos of his work, pretty good quality. IIRC he's lower Nth Isl somewhere

Lives here in New Plymouth, last time i talked to him he had stopped doing homers, due to the location of his property being close to the Mountain now. He now works in a local panel and paint shop.

I took my E30 Touring down to Graeme Hughes Panelbeaters on Barrys Point Road to have a look at. They said it would be about $600 + GST, and that was taking the paint down the A, B and C pillars to the crease line.

I can't remember the blokes ( owners ) name ( it's not Graeme anymore ), but he was a good dude.

• Like 1

Tried and he never replied... I guess as Blair says he's stopped doing homers.

My mate did my old Msport kit for a couple hundy incl paint. He will be doing the ute. He is pretty good and doesn't charge the world. Do you have the paint or the color code? Ill get you some prices

Thanks. I could probably prep myself but really need to get the engine out to do it properly as the PO made a bit of a half-assed attempt at the bay, so all the black will need to go. Original colour code is 308 Brilliantrot but am thinking about a couple of other possibles - 229 Sebringgrau Metallic and 05-407-1801 Giallo. All OE 8er options. Does your mate do prep as well or just paint?

I took my E30 Touring down to Graeme Hughes Panelbeaters on Barrys Point Road to have a look at. They said it would be about $600 + GST, and that was taking the paint down the A, B and C pillars to the crease line.

I can't remember the blokes ( owners ) name ( it's not Graeme anymore ), but he was a good dude.

Sounds to cheap to be true! Will definitely give them a call.

Love to know a ballpark figure then for full repaint and full prep and repaint.

Graeme Hughs did my e30 roof rust and job. The job turned out quite nicely.

They do take their time on things if your getting it done cheaply but their work is great.

Ballpark jooles your looking at 5k. Thats about the quote I got for the e30 back to mint condition which I think is very reasonible for what your getting. He showed me a nice VW bug he restored and I was very impressed with the work.

Graeme Hughs did my e30 roof rust and job. The job turned out quite nicely.

They do take their time on things if your getting it done cheaply but their work is great.

Ballpark jooles your looking at 5k. Thats about the quote I got for the e30 back to mint condition which I think is very reasonible for what your getting. He showed me a nice VW bug he restored and I was very impressed with the work.

They've got a kickass VW Kombi transporter in there at the moment.

Richard @ Bruce Thompson Motorbodies (he is the owner, must have changed hands at some point and didnt bother to update the name)

Round here in Seaview

You can mention I sent you if you want, Andy from IT Recycla.

I heard that too, but if you do find him i sent some stuff his way back in the day, and he is good.

Always good to support people that give back to the community where possible, even if it costs a little more.

What goes around comes around.