Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e30 m3 :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-797648681.htm

Looks like a nice example, too bad I can't even remotely afford it.

It also doesn't have the gaudy white steering wheel like this one that has already been mentioned on here somewhere

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-787402177.htm

My goodness that is immaculate. Is anyone actually buying these cars at these prices though?

Is H pattern the standard gearbox? Ie, 1st gear is top left.

I believe that they came with H pattern standard and a few had the 'dogleg' gearbox that everyone seems to want

Is H pattern the standard gearbox? Ie, 1st gear is top left.

They had either one of two Getrag 265 5-speed gearboxes. US models received an overdrive transmission while European models were outfitted with a dogleg version, with first gear being down and to the left, and fifth gear being a direct 1:1 ratio

I believe that they came with H pattern standard and a few had the 'dogleg' gearbox that everyone seems to want

Incorrect.

US and Japanese spec had standard H pattern, rest of the world the "real" dogleg box.

So this has had the dogleg box removed?

Carjam suggests its a Japanese import

Incorrect.

US and Japanese spec had standard H pattern, rest of the world the "real" dogleg box.

There is NO Japanese spec, only Euro and US. Let's not go through this again...

Dog-leg box is more sought after by collectors as it is the more "sporty" option, plus the US spec cars have fugly side markers and other bits to meet US dumb-ass laws that the Euros don't.

Model code for this car is AK05 = M3 (Eur) so should have the dog-leg box. Was sold new in Japan.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Dog-leg box is more sought after by collectors as it is the more "sporty" option, plus the US spec cars have fugly side markers and other bits to meet US dumb-ass laws that the Euros don't.

Model code for this car is AK05 = M3 (Eur) so should have the dog-leg box. Was sold new in Japan.

you know more about them than I do for sure, but if this is US spec why does it have a KM/h speedo? and projectors?

Is it euro spec, even with wrong lights, wrong gearbox etc

would have thought they have a local Jap spec just like on other E30s

link me to the thread that jap spec has been discussed before if you like? search function not working correctly for me

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Spec is possibly the wrong word here, there are two "models" of M3 (not including, Evos, etc) a Euro Model and a US Model. The numbers in the VIN tell you what model it is, in this case AK05, which is a Euro M3.

Then there is the Local Market Code, which in this care is set to Japan, which then determines the speedo figures, handbook language, stickers, etc. that go on the car. So yes there is a Japanese market version (as there is for every major market - UK, Germany, France, etc..), but not a Japanese model would be a better way of putting it.

I need this badly, but what are you meant to do with this car?

Garage it and do 2000km per year?

Or pop that 100,000km and just keep going.....? Then what happens to your $50k m3 that has 150km on the clock? Reckon you;d take a $20k bath? Or they are just going to keep going up?

That is the million dollar question, or in this case the $55,000 question.

I can't see them getting any cheaper any time soon.... unless there is a GFC in which case there might be a few bargains to be had.

Too many "investors" are buying them up, rather than enthusiasts. Prices have really rocketed in the last 12-18months, for the whole E30 M3 market. Lots of poor cars being offered at over the top prices (I'm not saying this is one of them by any means, probably the opposite in this case) to "cash in" on the boom only adding more fuel to the fire.

Grr.

That is the million dollar question, or in this case the $55,000 question.

I can't see them getting any cheaper any time soon.... unless there is a GFC in which case there might be a few bargains to be had.

sounds like the housing market

Too many "investors" are buying them up, rather than enthusiasts.

must be overseas buyers...............................not first time buyers

Prices have really rocketed in the last 12-18months, for the whole E30 M3 market.

.....................................................................................house market

Lots of poor cars being offered at over the top prices

like housing in Auckland

(I'm not saying this is one of them by any means, probably the opposite in this case)

this is a nice car Im not having a dig

to "cash in" on the boom only adding more fuel to the fire.

bloody investors

Grr.

Parallels

Edited by rich
  • Like 1

I need this badly, but what are you meant to do with this car?

Garage it and do 2000km per year?

Or pop that 100,000km and just keep going.....? Then what happens to your $50k m3 that has 150km on the clock? Reckon you;d take a $20k bath? Or they are just going to keep going up?

Would be no way near to most expensive way to drive 100,000km, if anything I would say thats pretty good.

Basically anything 2011 and later costing 50k or more you would be loosing that kind of coin or more for the same milage

^That's true I guess. Feels weird though when if you didn't drive it, it would go up in value. A 2011+ wouldn't.

The other factor would be maintenance, daily drive the M3 and do lots of Kms and it would be quite expensive to keep in that condition (to keep the value going up).

Personally I wouldn't spend that much money on something I couldn't or wouldn't daily drive. I have a drift/skid hack but haven't really taken it out since I got the M3. Kinda glad in some ways that I bought a high mileage car (280+) because any more kms on it doesn't really matter. Sort of like buying anything new and expensive .. I bought an expensive canon dslr and babyed it for a while then realized what's the point in buying expensive nice fancy stuff if you don't get to use it. Then I just treated it like a normal cheaper camera and some of my best shots have been taken that way. And surprisingly enough the expensive stuff is usually built to a higher standard and can handle being properly used!

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't spend that much money on something I couldn't or wouldn't daily drive. I have a drift/skid hack but haven't really taken it out since I got the M3. Kinda glad in some ways that I bought a high mileage car (280+) because any more kms on it doesn't really matter. Sort of like buying anything new and expensive .. I bought an expensive canon dslr and babyed it for a while then realized what's the point in buying expensive nice fancy stuff if you don't get to use it. Then I just treated it like a normal cheaper camera and some of my best shots have been taken that way. And surprisingly enough the expensive stuff is usually built to a higher standard and can handle being properly used!

Pretty much like you M3 originally! no idea what the story is for cameras, but no car on earth is built to sit in a garage, low milage on an old car is much more scary than a well used one, original gaskets etc all perishing 25 years later etc

FFS! You didnt "win" last time . . . .

Japanese new E30 M3's came with the same gearbox as the US spec M3's. Fact.