Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Welding

I used to weld a bit, doing the usual brazing at school (mine was the best milk bottle carrier!) and later learning a lot by repairing a Land Rover chassis.

I've never welded bodywork and don't intend to start now. Floors, sills, tunnels and the like have all been fair game in the past.

However, I have a masochistic affliction which sees me vulnerable to old, probably rusty, cars. This gets expensive in a hurry if paying someone sort any problem.

So, I'm wondering if I should invest in a welder, except it's been long enough that I don't know what to buy. I saw [url=http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=794932198]this[/u] on TradeMe which looks interesting (and I appreciate there's more needed than what is offered in the listing) but in terms of quality, I have no idea what might be good, bad, or 'OK for home use but you'd not want it in a workshop'.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Personally, I'd be looking for a good quality/brand second hand MIG (gas).

For that price a nice little Lincoln or similar?

You looking for Tig or mig? I would stay away from the Lincoln sp-170 machines and the other various knockoffs. Can get you a brand new 200 amp Tigs/mma machine, comes with Tigs leads, MMa leads and regulator etc. About $1000

For bodywork you will want approx a 180 amp mig, solid wire with gas is best, but gasless wire will do in a pinch. Needs to run a 0.8 or 0.9 solid wire. I have bought cheapy chinese welders off TM and had no problems with them, but spare parts can be a problem.

Try and stay away from anything with a direct connect torch, terrible things

I would steer away from tardeme and let Troy sort you out. I suspect that what he does not know about welders/welding is not worth bothering about... if you visit his workshop you will see what I mean.. ;)

You looking for Tig or mig? I would stay away from the Lincoln sp-170 machines and the other various knockoffs. Can get you a brand new 200 amp Tigs/mma machine, comes with Tigs leads, MMa leads and regulator etc. About $1000

brand? and more details.

Do you work at wrs?

I've got a Lincoln 180c mig welder. It'll be great for the usual rust repairs. It'll only go so far,it is still single phase. When you get to thicker materials but you can all ways get a cheap stick welder for that. Arc welding supplies are good to deal with if you wanted to know more.

Remember to factor in the price of gas. It really does add up. I struggled for awhile with renting bottles from boc (it really is a struggle). But have now moved onto some owner bottles. There are some deals on trademe but I ended up getting a decent price from supagas for a bottle

Edited by Thorburn

I bought one like this on TM (not off this guy), and its been really good. Done lots of ali and stainless very good. There are a mulitue of this type of AC/DC Tig MMA plasma units called "200P" - all the same thing made in china in different cases, and there are other models too from the same manufacturer just different specs. It works really well i lke having the pre post flow, foot switch, pulse mode to get those "stack of dimes" looking welds. I ve bought a supergas argon bottle, dont go disposable bottles.

http://ezitoolswelding.co.nz/products/tig-200p-acdc/

The thing ive never had before is the plasma torch.... Mother of TROY thats fun!! its like owning a light saber!!

Ohhh the hours ive spent hack sawing steel in the vice.. eeee ooor eee ooor eee ooor [change hands] eee ooor eee ooor.... now its whisssssssssst, clunk, done.

• Like 1