Sign in to follow this  
Bigmor

Run flat tyres - Yes or No

Hi There,

I need to buy new tyres for my BMW 135i 2009 and have been reading up on run flat tyres, with most of the information being very negative e.g. Bad handling performance, doesn't last half as long and cost twice as much as normal tyres.

The tyre guy, said I should just put standard tyres on and get a can of instant inflation and repair in case of a flat. As obviously the car doesn't have a spare. This seems like a better option due to the performance improvements and the longer last ability (Cost is not a massive deal).

I am only worried as BMW recommend RUn Flat Tyres and what effect it will actually have on the car, as I saw a trademe listing for tyres that were accidently put on a BMW which required run flat tyres.

Has anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

i had a 120 d It had bridgestones and continentals when i got it,and i had to buy pirelli s one xmas as it was all i could get locally They cost 400 each 205 55 16.They were nicer riding than either the contis or bridegstones,and there was absolutley nothing wrong with them at all except quite harsh riding.I cant tell you how long they would last but i put a lot of ks on that car and the pirellies were fine for wear..Be aware that if you do get a puncture the tyre shop probably WONT fix it. The next pair of Pirellis i bought were just under three hundred each so shop around well in advance of when you actuallyy NEED them.

Had them on my 09 335i and got rid of them , noisy , terrible performance , switched to PSS tyres and got the bmw mobility kit from ecs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul,

Where they run flat tyres? And are you sayin tyre shops won't repair run flats?

Cheers,

yep run flats.I got a puncture one day the runflat indicator cam on while i was doing 100 ks in the outside lane onf SH2.Knowing i couldnt do anything anyway i just kept going, no noise or any other signs of a flat.i had only a k or 2 ax to exit.I stopped as soon as i could once of the motorway,tyre was def soft,had about 20 in it at that point.Pumped it up again at nearest garage was very warm to touch warmer than other front but not really hot.Was losing small ammount each day.When i took it into my normal shop they wouldnt fix it as they said there was no way they could tell if it had been damaged. Looked fine.

So the new owner of my car got a brand new tyre,happened only a few days before i sold it.

Thanks for your feed back guys, so far sounds like ditching run flats is still the way to go. Keen to get more feedback from others that have experienced the difference.

Once again, awesome to get responses.

Thanks for your feed back guys, so far sounds like ditching run flats is still the way to go. Keen to get more feedback from others that have experienced the difference.

Once again, awesome to get responses.

If you get a puncture you will be very thankful for run-flats. Reputable tyre shops won't repair them as they cannot guarantee how they were driven after the puncture and can't guarantee their repair (in case the side wall is damaged) will not be blamed if a repaired tyre does fail. They are covering their ass. All is not lost as long as you are responsible after getting a puncture. Drive slow and only for as long as you need before getting more air into it. Rubber repair plugs you can purchase from places like Repco have been known to work on small nail holes but recommend a tyre shop to do the job properly.

If you get a puncture you will be very thankful for run-flats.

^^^ agree with above, not all punctures can be repaired with gooey can of jelly. With run-flat, you can get to the next town safely.

Run flats can do 50km distance below 80km/h speed after the indicator turns on and getting it repair.

Believe it or not, Team McMillan BMW did the puncture repair cheaper than Beaurepaires. (I had to do it once, that;s how I found out)

My run flats lasted very well, Bridgestone RE50A, 46000km and counting. A bit harsh riding but grips well wet or dry. Though I am keen to try the latest version of Pirelli run-flats, apparently they are the best available all considered.

Had the same problem with my e90, just purchased and noticed the runflats looked a bit tired with min tread so looked into new tyres, went with goodyear f1 asymmetric 2's non rft, leaving for work one morning tyre pressure warning came on had a dirty big screw in my new tyre, no problem getting the tyre fixed, tyre guy told me if it had of been a rft i'd be looking at a new tyre, so for me a flat is not a common thing these days my last flat tyre was the first in about ten or so years.

No problem at all and iv'e done about 1000k's since in the last 2weeks mostly rural/motorway 80-100+kph, the goodyear fitted are a nice quite tyre and hyper did a really great deal $1300 tints and tyres all up drive in drive away :) still looking to find a can of tyre repair found a few forums claiming it ruins your tyre's but most think it's ok just need to clean before puncture repair, hyper sell a repair kit for about $150 i think.

I got my BMW mobility kit for about $160 from team mcmillan. I looked at a continental one for similar money but it looked to be a one shot deal

• Like 1

Anybody got any further comments on this?

I've got the mobility kit and two 6-month old (awesome) RE003s on the back. My front tyres need replacing and I was planning on getting RFTs - however - reading this thread and the costs associated with them, I'm thinking of just getting another set of RE003s for the front.

I'd stick with the RE003s. I've had Re002's before on my E46 328i, they were good tyres

Also would be rather bad to have only 2 runflats. They're much stiffer tyres so it would affect the balance of your car if you only had them in the front.

My E92 335i came with Bridgestone runflats on 19 inch wheels. Horrible, harsh ride quality. Replacing them with Goodyear Eagle F1s was a major upgrade in comfort (as well as grip and cornering feel, especially in the rain).

Edited by Matth5

Thanks for your reply, popped up to Bridgestone this arvo and got the two new front RE003s. Nice to have a complete set now!

If I have a horror story with the tyre-goo tool it may change my mind with RFTs...

If I have a horror story with the tyre-goo tool it may change my mind with RFTs...

Just test drive a car with RFTs first.

My car has 19's so probably a worst case due to the low tyre profile, but I'd describe RFTs as feeling like my car had wooden wheels.

• Like 1

Run-flats have stronger side-walls, designed to be driven 50-80km's after the vehicle sustains a puncture.

Driving 100 odd km's will deteriorate the inside of the tyres sidewall.

Same as a normal tyre, puncture repairs aren't a problem unless they're within an inch of the sidewall or whatever the measurement is.

Usually about an extra $100 per tyre, but the brands reputations speak for themselves.

run flats also usually you can't repair (warrantable) once you have run it with no air. :(

A tyre shop told me that the inside of the wheel rims for RFT's had a special shape and that normal tyres wouldn't seat on them properly. Was I being BS'd? I'm keen to switch from RFT's as the Michelin PS's I have right now are very noisy.

They have some extra reinforcement, however they have no problems running regular tyres.

Some of the earlier generations of RFT had a different style beading which was matched in the rim, however, I believe it was supposed to be compatible with non-rft tyres as well.

Now that more and more cars are coming out of the factory with run-flats and the volumes of tyres in use have gone up, the pricing has come down a hell of a lot. IIRC it is almost at the point where the difference is zero on some brands and tyres.

Ride quality is much, much better on the latest generations as well.

I am a big fan of RFTs having had two high-ish speed rapid deflations of tyres, one run-flat and one not, with much different results. You can't put a price on safety like that.

Also, isn't a non-run flat rooted once you have filled it with the can of spray gunk - so it has to be replaced, even if the tyre can be otherwise repaired?

Thanks for the replies. Most of my driving is open road, coarse seal highway and like I said above, the Mitchelin Pilot Sports on the car right now are very noisy on this type of surface.

If I want to rank low noise ride above performance for this kind of driving, any suggestions as to brands/types of non RFTs worth considering?

Also, isn't a non-run flat rooted once you have filled it with the can of spray gunk - so it has to be replaced, even if the tyre can be otherwise repaired?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks for the replies. Most of my driving is open road, coarse seal highway and like I said above, the Mitchelin Pilot Sports on the car right now are very noisy on this type of surface.

If I want to rank low noise ride above performance for this kind of driving, any suggestions as to brands/types of non RFTs worth considering?

I run pss at the moment, the car has had Bridgestone re11, yoko v103 and conti sports. The PSS has been the quietest tyre with contis second.

Maybe a Perrili p7 ? Mate had these on his Luxo cruiser and the car was extremely quiet.