Sign in to follow this  
Bigmor

Run flat tyres - Yes or No

I am a big fan of RFTs having had two high-ish speed rapid deflations of tyres, one run-flat and one not, with much different results. You can't put a price on safety like that.

That's an interesting one, what tyres were they exactly? I've heard of non-rft tyres holding up surprisingly well in similar situations as well, so I'd hope the high end ones at least have enough sidewall stiffness to hold you steady for a bit. Maybe low profile tyres cope better since they have to be stiffer.

I guess that's a risk to take into account.

Also, isn't a non-run flat rooted once you have filled it with the can of spray gunk - so it has to be replaced, even if the tyre can be otherwise repaired?

No that shouldn't happen, the stuff just needs to be washed off. Will just be a bit more work for the tyre shop to spray it off and find the puncture.

The first tyre was a Michelin back in the UK, hit something in the dark on the motorway at 80ish mph. First I knew about it was when I did a 360 spin, no idea how I missed the concrete dividing wall. When I got to the hard shoulder tyre was in bits, flapping about, found what I thought was the hole that started it all.

Had a 19" Bridgestone S001 RFT get a big cut in it at nearly the same speed, and apart from a tiny wiggle and the light come on the dash nothing else to report. Not even sure the DSC warning lit up.

If the goop is water soluble that would be ok, thought it was polyurethane or similar..

Was in a Chrysler 350c , Owner was a reformed legacy turbo owner Ron. Perfect passenger car.

Losing pressure in the rear tyres not so bad, although can't comment on a scooter, they're just following the fronts most of the time.

Fronts are a whole different ball game..

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Which version of Pilot sport do you have and what is the age / tread level.

I have PS3's and find them reasonably quiet , would expect Pilot super sports to be a bit noisy on our shitty coarse chip and also Ps2's a bit noisier than PS3's

P.S. no idea on the goop because I wouldn't have a car without a spare.

The tyre marking just has Pilot Sport ZP with the star symbol. There's about 1mm above the depth marker on the rear and 2mm on the fronts. No idea on age. On city roads they're dead quiet but on open roads I can almost feel the surface noise coming through the body. My last car was an Audi A4 Quattro and ran both Falken and Champiro 19" tyres with practically no road noise so I'm considering trying one of them when it comes time to replace.

Any tyre with only a mm of tread will be noisy on coarse chip, it is an unfair comparison most make coming off tyres that are basically bald and then comparing to a tyre will 8mm of tread.

It was above the marker so 2.5 and 3.5mm depth, but yes, fairly low. When I sold the Audi the tread was a similar depth so the comparison is valid.

• Like 1

My opinion is that RFT are reliable and bit more expensive than regular tyres. On bad roads the ride is just a bit bumpy. The safety at this point is highest priority. So my opinion and answer is: Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Julian Willow