Sign in to follow this  
speedracer.mk5

1990 E30 - Popping out of 2nd gear with a nast grindind noise

Hey guys,

Long-time reader, first time poster. Guys (ladies inclusive), recently got my 1990 E30 320i sorted out for 2K Cup racing this season. What can I say, SO much better than the MR2 I campaigned last season in the 2K cup, torque and handling compared to the MR2, EPIC.

However.............. 5 laps into the first session, the gearbox popped out of second when entering turn 5 (hairpin) and made a nasty grinding noise. Car works well in every other gear, even in second (under load) only). When taking my foot off the accelerator in second, the gearbox makes a nasty grinding noise and pops out of gear.

This being my first BMW, I am understandably confused by this issue............... can someone please advise what/how/why this has happened and the best way to fix the issue?

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Chris

post-51788-0-83908300-1414641367_thumb.j

Get the gearbox rebuilt or fit a second hand unit

Old gearbox with some kms on it, take it racing, almost inevitable it will pack a sad! Could be worse, second gear could be lying on the side of the track somewhere!

love the shopping list btw! ;)