Sign in to follow this  
atlantiskiwi

Wow...it's quiet on here.

my first introduction into cars was when i sneaked out of the house and went into town in my mates humber80.

Beaumont st is where it all happened, old zephyrs mk1and2 with big ass V8's, cortinas,old holdens, CF bedford and Transits vans (you youngsters may have to google those).

Diesel on the roads for burnouts, drag racing from traffic light to traffic light.

Then move out to the burbs, all word of mouth, no cell phones txts or computers.

You had to be in the know or know someone.

AH the glory days.

ok, I spent a bit of time on it tonight and most stuff should be working now, the two main wins:

User counter

Gallery

If anything else isn't working, please let me know in this thread.

• Like 2

Seems to be working much better now James. All my login issues are resolved as well :D

I managed to upload some shots into the Gallery - but they are not showing in the "latest Gallery" section on the home page...

Weird, just showing a big blank box for me... anyone else>?

Same here.

Using Chrome if that helps

cant see the pics to the "latest pic" link but your pics are in the gallery

are you guys logged in when on the front page? It will only show you the pics if you are logged in.

It all works for me and I'm using Chrome

Depends, but yeah most mid 2000+ not all, but anything after 2008 I feel wouldn't be all that fun to work on.

The "challenge" IS the fun part:

Got these two in the drive....

15599121129_6782f44c61.jpg

15791700186_3d9aaf167d.jpg

Once they're mated (snigger) together, they'll replace the E39 though :ph34r:

Maybe the forum is quiet, because people are actually doing something instead of sitting on their arses in front of the computer? (That's pretty much how my wife would say it :lol: )

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1

The "challenge" IS the fun part

Certainly agree, I feel like I could tackle many modern cars, but it's a huge barrier to those who've no knowledge. Walked past the Holden dealership the other day and they had a bunch of new commodores in the lot with their hoods up, even with those big wide cars there wasn't a scrap of space and everything was covered by plastic shielding (torx screws the bloody tossers!) I thought getting the intake manifold of the E32 was bad, trying to find the manifold on a 2013 Commodore looked to be a challenge.

Not to say new cars aren't or can't be fun, but I think a lot of the new blood so to speak are being actively put off by the unserviceable nature of modern cars. Most major engine work now is no longer performed, it's quicker and cheaper just to swap the engine. Especially in the smaller Asian cars, why bother tearing it down when you can just chuck another engine in for less than a grand?

• Like 1

the problem with the plastic covers is that under them its f**k ugly. Car makers no longer give a toss about making it all look good, because they just cover it in plastic anyway.

• Like 1

The "challenge" IS the fun part:

Got these two in the drive....

15599121129_6782f44c61.jpg

15791700186_3d9aaf167d.jpg

Once they're mated (snigger) together, they'll replace the E39 though :ph34r:

I approve of this post

Certainly agree, I feel like I could tackle many modern cars, but it's a huge barrier to those who've no knowledge. Walked past the Holden dealership the other day and they had a bunch of new commodores in the lot with their hoods up, even with those big wide cars there wasn't a scrap of space and everything was covered by plastic shielding (torx screws the bloody tossers!) I thought getting the intake manifold of the E32 was bad, trying to find the manifold on a 2013 Commodore looked to be a challenge.

Not to say new cars aren't or can't be fun, but I think a lot of the new blood so to speak are being actively put off by the unserviceable nature of modern cars. Most major engine work now is no longer performed, it's quicker and cheaper just to swap the engine. Especially in the smaller Asian cars, why bother tearing it down when you can just chuck another engine in for less than a grand?

One can draw alot of similarities between the automotive world and the IT world, and this is another. Much cheaper for the manufacturers to make everything modular. Not necessarily cheaper for the consumer, but at the end of the day, they have to suck it anyway. If you have a Hyundai Accent that needs a new engine, you can only put another Accent engine in, its not like you can put a Toyota engine in and call it a day.

Except for alfa engines. They still look sexy

Agree, actually almost anything Italian. Possibly has something to do with the fact one looks at the engine bay a lot more too when they are fixing things...... yes went there.

• Like 1

Except for alfa engines. They still look sexy

Er, nope :P

from

20091112alfa159tb6.jpg

to

wagon%20004.jpg

Funny alphas should be mentioned. Just spent the night in Bruce Stewart's workshop. Some gorgeous cars there.

I was busy getting maggot so not much car talk that night but he's done an amazing job on them. All pre 70s kit though. Absolutely gorgeous.

At the end of the day, a car is a car underneath. Modern or not, you pull it apart and put it back together again.. and modern cars pull apart and go back together a lot better than old ones I find as the parts are not old and crusty.

Nothing to be scared of, I have had pretty much my entire 2006 Megane apart in different stages.. its no different than my old E30's. Something breaks, you google the problem or look it up in a manual, you remove the part, establish if its f**ked or not, order a new pat, fit it... if anything, modern diagnostic tools make it a lot easier, I remember spending the best part of a day trying to get my E30 to idle properly once, ended up swapping out most of the fuel system, was the AFM in the end. With my new car I just plug my scanner in and it pin points quite accurately where the problem is.

And..... duct tape and cable ties work on all cars.

• Like 2

To backup my previous statement or theory about snobs i took my crappy e34 for a drive last sunday around the water front turned around at the top of a certain well known viewing point, sitting there was a nice wee white e36 wearing a Bimmersport sticker cruzed slowly past him he wasn't interested in even making eye contact then again my car tends to blend in with the rusty scenery so easy to overlook.....ya

Crunchy I passed by you once in my e30. You must've been in dreaming about something real special to not chase me in envy haha :P

Crunchy I passed by you once in my e30. You must've been in dreaming about something real special to not chase me in envy haha :P

I must have been stuck in reverse ;)

• Like 1

Use to hear the same aurgments from the Hotrod / Streetmachine boys in the 80's

Reminds me of the old guys at the end of the muppet show.

Please take it in the humor intended.

http://youtu.be/NpYEJx7PkWE

Edited by Neal

Use to hear the same aurgments from the Hotrod / Streetmachine boys in the 80's

Reminds me of the old guys at the end of the muppet show.

Please take it in the humor intended.

http://youtu.be/NpYEJx7PkWE

Them new fangled E34 540i