Sign in to follow this  
atlantiskiwi

Wow...it's quiet on here.

I miss the meets of the old days.  We used to be able to get 25 Silvias with 20 mins notice just by TXT.  Then that was all ruined by the new crowd that came along with D1NZ mentality.  They expected everyone to be skidding around every corner.  My Mrs even ran a few Mega meets where we had over 100 cars turn up each year from all over the country.  Some mates and I still privately hire Taupo track each year.  But we no longer invite random people as we run an open pit and we must trust the skill of everyone we invite.

For some reason I presumed the ECC meets would all be poorly lowered E class Mercs, 520i's on 24's, MK3 Golfs with roof racks and some stupid bicycle on top.

Am I wrong?  Maybe I should go sometime.  I didn't realise people from here helped run it.

As for Bimmerfest.  Well maybe next year.  Hire Taupo.  Get BMW Club and Bimmersport on board.

Hi, I'm the owner and manager of ECC :)

I run all these 'events' and meets. And rest assured we do get a mix of cars - not only sacked out Mercs. We had 2x Mint E30 M3s, E36 M3s, E46 M3s, a few E90/92 M3s and the of course the M5s as well as M Coupes, Panteras, RS6s, Porsche, GTIs... Most of the above cars stock.

We have a huge mix of people. The next meet is in Albany and with over $1500 worth in prices to give away, no harm in tagging along.

If it's as sh*t as some may presume, always optioned to leave :)

But I keep things in order and wouldn't be able to pull my 130+ car meets without having rules in place for the idiots.

• Like 7

Was thinking about this and realised the reason I never go to meets anymore is because there is no race cars.

I have weekend long meets in the race series. Though I would like to see the older classics parked up.

• Like 1

Does Hampton Downs still offer FREE entry to car clubs on our race weekends ( HRC meets )

Was thinking about this and realised the reason I never go to meets anymore is because there is no race cars.

I have weekend long meets in the race series. Though I would like to see the older classics parked up.

Sick of seeing cars that have just been lowered/slammed on wheels and a decent polish with wanky music playing and hipsters walking around.....boring. I want to see outrageous engine swaps and crazy antics.

Sick of seeing cars that have just been lowered/slammed on wheels and a decent polish with wanky music playing and hipsters walking around.....boring. I want to see outrageous engine swaps and crazy antics.

Like...

201104300708_turan_bodykit.jpg

PLUS

Mk4-Golf-R32-Tuning-05.jpg

???

I'm just planning it now... Just don't tell my Mrs that they don't come like that! So far, I've brought a towbar and a gear shift and some very expensive software... Good start

• Like 3

I think the hater comments in this thread sum up why this forum is quiet.

2c

Back to FB with the "wankers" :ph34r:

• Like 6

I agree, ironic the childish inconstructive and derailing posts being complained about is exact what has been posted here. Happened on the last thread too.

Forums have had thier day in history, they won't be coming back. All the information on everything you want to know is on the internet already, and Facebook provides the social interaction around that information.

facebook has nothing on a decent forum for discussion and information collation and sharing.

• Like 3

I think the problem is the original crew have moved on / changed priorites and are here less often. Those that drop off aren't being replaced as the younger crew are heading to FB instead.

I don't currently own a BMW but still check in here every once and a while

I still think there is a place for a forum, but NZ and BMW's only is too small. Shame there is no car centric forum for grown ups (i.e. no flat peaks, slammed cars etc) specific to NZ.

• Like 2

I think one of the problems, as proven by this thread, we all want something different out of the forum/car shows/etc and since NZ has a small market, it makes it hard for things to survive.

Just look at any music festival over the last 10 years based in NZ if you want to draw a comparision. I will be forever thankful to Bimmersport as it stopped me from going down the path of 19 inch chromies, lambo doors and flashing neon lights.

• Like 4

I disagree that Facebook will replace forums. Maybe for the young folk but not for me!

• Like 3

Facebook won't replace forums / they're just busier with bullshit.

• Like 1

i think that the original bimmersport bought a lot of BMW enthusiasts together at one point in time.That time also coincided with the dramatic decrease in used BMW prices bought about by lots of Japanese imports.A lot of the BMW enthusiasts have moved on and they have been replaced by a younger crowd with enthusiasm for modded cars with an enthusiasm for bmws,as a side interest rather than the main interest.

i think that the original bimmersport bought a lot of BMW enthusiasts together at one point in time.That time also coincided with the dramatic decrease in used BMW prices bought about by lots of Japanese imports.A lot of the BMW enthusiasts have moved on and they have been replaced by a younger crowd with enthusiasm for modded cars with an enthusiasm for bmws,as a side interest rather than the main interest.

you could be on to something there Paul, i think you are right.

One look at BMWCCNZ strengthens your point

though having said that, one could argue that those who have old BMWs that wrench on them themselves are more enthusiast than those with the latest 235i or M6 that has only ever been at the dealer, the owners not dreaming of touching them. I find myself placed in this school of thought

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

Its quiet cause i post on the forums, i have a very low tolerance to baggers and idiots so blame me

• Like 4

I guess the question is - do we try and rebuild the forum to it's original function of a local knowledge base / meeting ground for like minded individuals or just let the rot on social media take its place?

The Fartbook page seems to be populated with cryptic for sale posts and occasional pleas for help with a usually simple problem. Definitely not my thing but useful for he odd bit of kit that comes up for sale.

The original members like Apex, Hybrd, Bellicose, Jamez et al in the main have moved on. Glenn and Hotwire still surface from time to time but not as often as before. The only thing holding the forum back is the knowledge base that were around when it started aren't really here anymore.

I personally don't expect folks to remain tied to the site forever, we all move on to different stuff eventually. It'd be great to see it return to the days of 60-70 posts a day instead of the current 15-20 but I've got no clue as to making that happen!

Bring back the project threads! :D

• Like 1

I guess the question is - do we try and rebuild the forum to it's original function of a local knowledge base / meeting ground for like minded individuals or just let the rot on social media take its place?

The Fartbook page seems to be populated with cryptic for sale posts and occasional pleas for help with a usually simple problem. Definitely not my thing but useful for he odd bit of kit that comes up for sale.

The original members like Apex, Hybrd, Bellicose, Jamez et al in the main have moved on. Glenn and Hotwire still surface from time to time but not as often as before. The only thing holding the forum back is the knowledge base that were around when it started aren't really here anymore.

I personally don't expect folks to remain tied to the site forever, we all move on to different stuff eventually. It'd be great to see it return to the days of 60-70 posts a day instead of the current 15-20 but I've got no clue as to making that happen!

Bring back the project threads! :D

I spend what seems countless hours trying to help with free advise that many have to pay for through my business, i give up most of the time on here cause everyone has an opinion but never done it themselves plus hate the fact i do what i do to bmw for god sake its a bloody car get over yourselves.

Meet me in person and im 1000 times worse but, im honest and will bust my butt to help those in need and dont expect a bloody thing in return

And im sure there's a few that'll take offence to this but the Bimmersports events ive been to ive found people to have their heads well and truly planted up their butt's unless your part of the "in crowed" ive been to a few "caffeine and classic's" park ups and mixed and mingled without an issue expect for the other Beemer ( may not be from on here) guys they wont even look at you,much prefer to hang with my customers and do my own thing.

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 1

I do more wrenching than posting. So I am hopeless in regards to posts. I try to be helpful where I can.

Is some of the stuff I do interesting to others? Maybe, maybe not, should I post stuff in the hope someone may be interested...maybe maybe not. It's hard when you have to take photos download and stuff and you just think to yourself, is this any good to anyone.

I have learnt heaps from this site, and I cant possibly imagine learning anything remotely helpful to me on a social media site unless there is a fundamental change in the way they currently operate. If I don't get what I am looking for on this site...I go to the other forums. Facebook? Hardly.

If we had a clubrooms....now that would be the ticket

To be honest I put it down to a decline in people willing to work on their cars. The [insert ricer suburb near you] lot are all on facebook complaining about cops harassing them in their hondas, and the rest of the car inclined people get their mechanic to do it or do it themselves.

Basically there's not many people left doing decent projects in the driveway, they're either good enough to do it themselves with little help or wanna be jap street racers (glad they're not here) of course it's made more extreme by the fact this is New Zealand and then add to that the small portion of BMW owners and from the BMW owners, those who actually want to do their own car work. That basically leaves us.

Social media will never replace a forum, when I search "E32 IHKA" I get a bunch of forums serviced by highly knowledgeable groups of people, not one social media account. I have asked things on Facebook and got nothing but idiotic replies. Forums are easy to navigate records, and they keep good historical data. Ever tried to find an old post in facebook? It's a nightmare.

Overall though there appears to be a global decline in willingness to work on your own car, even the big international forums are getting quiet with the "old timers" keeping the likes of me around by being able to instantly diagnose a poorly described rattle from the AC unit as a loose blower motor mount and linking me to a 5 year old forum post on how to fix it. That sort of glorious knowledge is why I love a good forum. Sadly it seems that people are scared to even look at an engine. For me, once you know the working principals you can fix it. Of course there are the finer points of how a specific system goes together and how to handle it but in general, if you research things you can do it yourself.

I find the NZ forums to be very helpful, the Americans and Euro guys are pretty much "buy the part that fits" type people, whereas us kiwi's tend to reply with "well, the fitting costs $150 but with a bit of brass, a tap & die kit from repco and a few beersies you can make on for $12" - That sort of workaround, do it from anything is what I love about most NZ forums and that's not just cars - metalworking, fabrication, RC you name it, there's a Kiwi saying "bog it together" and an American saying "just buy a $50 part, spend $75 in shipping and wait for a week"

• Like 3

If it makes you feel any better, I'm young and don't have Facebook and don't see my self as a ricer (I also don't own a car yet... Patiently waiting for the right one...).

Forums are like a long term relationship, after a while its just a rehashing of the same old conversations and routines, it can end up like feeling like you are flogging a dead horse… and when kids come along, then the romance is well and truly dead.

You can’t stay together for the family or blind loyalty, it stifles potential and creativity, and it can make you a very dull, empty and unhappy person. You need passion.

Sometimes it’s best to cut your losses and get out and sample the other low hanging fruit, change is good and exciting.

Read into that what you will.

• Like 1

Forums are like a long term relationship, after a while its just a rehashing of the same old conversations and routines, it can end up like feeling like you are flogging a dead horse… and when kids come along, then the romance is well and truly dead.

You can’t stay together for the family or blind loyalty, it stifles potential and creativity, and it can make you a very dull, empty and unhappy person. You need passion.

Sometimes it’s best to cut your losses and get out and sample the other low hanging fruit, change is good and exciting.

sorry about the divorce

• Like 3

I can understand that, part of the problem is when no one else takes responsibility to help out the new kids so to speak, also harder with the limited cars here, there's likely to be only one or two "experts" for each model so you end up with the same stuff all the time.

On the E32 page on the bimmerforums site I can quite happily give tips about stuff I have previously dealt with meaning the likes of our resident experts shogun, e32fan, gert and tim don't have to, of course they usually give their 2c which is invaluable at times. Also there are quite a few really well put together sites for the E32 compiled by E32 owners so finding a wealth of incredibly detailed information is dead easy.

Being cynical is half the point of the internet. It wouldn't be forum without being worried about pissing of the forum grumpy guts

I don't have the equipment, garage, tools to do all the work on my car, or I would. Being female - lots of people turn you down when you say you want to DIY and what advice is there.

I also work full time and a single Momma doesn't help my 'free time' cause. I spent a long period learning about BMWs through Ray @ HellBM because he was the only one willing to explain things to me and let me have a go.

I now send my cars there for everything, and maybe one day when I'm not working 40 hours a week, and have a nice garage, I'll do it all myself, not just the occasional service and basic things.

I have managed to do all the non-engine components my self (interior overhaul, lights, parking sensors) but not yet confident dealing with the internal engine components.

I love the Project threads on here - facebook lacks a lot of what forums bring.

• Like 3