Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

'Special Insurance'

NAC quoted $100 per month, pretty happy with that, they are cheaper than AA.

Will do Swann and Club Auto tomorrow to see their rates.

Any other suggestions to try?

When I was in the UK, there was a concept of 'future classic'. No idea if that could apply here, but some brokers will work harder for you than others.

yep they have that here, and thats how swann works.

The key thing is Swann is designed for those cars NOT daily driven.

25 years old is the change over between thier modern classic policy and thier classis policy. Classis appears to be anything over 25 years old, and not daily driven. My E30 has just changed over policies (interestingly same price, appears to be little more than marketing). on both, they are a little bit lenient on the mods, but it depends what kind of mods, and the reason they were done.

Eg, my E34 V12 wagon is as cool as my E30, but a very different car with a different focus, and very modified, they are not interested. Maybe when its 25 years old they may be.

As for the modern classic policy, it is for cars that are unlikely to go out of fashion etc. Eg they will cover convertibles and coupes, also M3, AMG etc. But they arent going to cover a 318i with schnitzer badges or a little 1 series hatchback. not to mention they are daily driven anyways most likely.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

yep they have that here, and thats how swann works.

The key thing is Swann is designed for those cars NOT daily driven.

25 years old is the change over between thier modern classic policy and thier classis policy. Classis appears to be anything over 25 years old, and not daily driven. My E30 has just changed over policies (interestingly same price, appears to be little more than marketing). on both, they are a little bit lenient on the mods, but it depends what kind of mods, and the reason they were done.

Eg, my E34 V12 wagon is as cool as my E30, but a very different car with a different focus, and very modified, they are not interested. Maybe when its 25 years old they may be.

As for the modern classic policy, it is for cars that are unlikely to go out of fashion etc. Eg they will cover convertibles and coupes, also M3, AMG etc. But they arent going to cover a 318i with schnitzer badges or a little 1 series hatchback. not to mention they are daily driven anyways most likely.

Never heard of Swann, might have to ring and see if cover is cheaper than club auto (Ive found that 80& of insurers don't even want to think of insuring a 17 y/o with a v8 Benz) ...Seem weird that their classics policy has the same premiums in comparison to normal modern policy dont you think?..

Edited by benzboy

I've found Prestigio pretty good. You'll have to go through a broker usually but both E30s are insured through them.

Mine is about $500-600 per year, unlimited kms for full cover. Valued at 6k, and they've been informed of the modifications including the engine conversion.

The touring on the other hand is insured under a restoration cover which is cheap as chips. Only downside is the under 25 excess but no one gets away from that.

Unfortunately they wouldn't insure the Subaru (08 WRX STI) because it wasn't going to be garaged. Vero was good in this instance and premium was a few hundred dollars less than State.

• Like 1

I've found Prestigio pretty good. You'll have to go through a broker usually but both E30s are insured through them.

Mine is about $500-600 per year, unlimited kms for full cover. Valued at 6k, and they've been informed of the modifications including the engine conversion.

The touring on the other hand is insured under a restoration cover which is cheap as chips. Only downside is the under 25 excess but no one gets away from that.

Unfortunately they wouldn't insure the Subaru (08 WRX STI) because it wasn't going to be garaged. Vero was good in this instance and premium was a few hundred dollars less than State.

Whats restoration cover? Is it so if the car is off the road in the process of getting restored you are covered if you ding it ect?

Whats restoration cover? Is it so if the car is off the road in the process of getting restored you are covered if you ding it ect?

And earthquake etc

swann do that too

• Like 2

Car is sitting in the garage with no engine. So basically covers it on a trailer from A to B and if it gets stolen or house burns down. I think from memory it may cover specific car parts but I would need to check the policy documents
  • Like 1

NAC quoted $100 per month, pretty happy with that, they are cheaper than AA.

Will do Swann and Club Auto tomorrow to see their rates.

Any other suggestions to try?

Although I no longer work there, give Classic Cover a ring. We do these on a daily basis cover now, and the 'modifications' aren't the slightest issue.

• Like 1

I am with Swann, and at the time I was phoning around, they were the best. I qualified easy, im old, car is old and a 530i gets a nod from them, and she was very good over the phone. I got a quote and even after 2 months after they said sweet, that quote is still fine!

So agreed value 8k, cost me $305.00

and straight from my old email:

Benefits Include:

• Agreed value
  • 24/7 emergency roadside assistance
  • Full glass cover (All glass including headlight lenses)
  • Unlimited mileage (although not intended for everyday/regular use)
  • Your choice of repairer
  • Guarantee on repairs
  • Classic or club event cover (Excess: $750)
  • Laid up cover
  • Multiple vehicle discounts
  • Flexible payment options
  • Total loss salvage options
  • Like 2

NAC are good for mods.

I pay over $100 a month for the Schnitzer. Valued at $10k and have listed wheels only as a mod...

M3. Few minor mods, and an U25 driver, $400 a year for cover a bit over $20k and that has unlimited Ks.

How they price this sh*t up confuses me. Maybe NZI aren't the best in regards to price. Might also go on a hunt for new insurance company.

Did you try that new company called Youi?

^ Youi is a bit of a joke, with my last car (325ci) they were $15 more than State, when I told them that they matched it, but the excess was $2k. Then I said it was unacceptable so they lowered the excess and kept the premium the same. Then I said okay, may as well go ahead, let's organise the contents insurance - they couldn't insure me because I had more than 4 people in the house...

• Like 1

I've now got my E30 with Protecta who have been good to deal with ( through a broker ). It's now on restoration cover, but it was on a limited mileage policy which was very well priced with good terms.

Just started up with Youi.
They've given me the best quote on my E30 out of everyone so far. Being under 25 I was getting quoted 1k p.a everywhere (including NAC who I was already with for my motorbike).
Been quoted 600 p.a with youi for full comprehensive. Also been quoted $10 less per month for my motorbike and they actually cover gear as well. Heard of people with good and bad experiences with youi. Almost seems like it depends who you get. Was on the phone with them for about an hour and the guy actually seemed like a bike/car enthusiast (also putting my dad as a listed driver bought my insurance down $6 per month)

^ That's good. My mate's GF got her insurance with them and they were cheap.

What is your excess?

Thanks for all your help on this one guys!!

I managed to talk directly to the underwriters at ASB, they kept my policy and didn't increase the premium at all. $67 per month for full cover is an awesome result when NAC / ClubAuto were going to be $100 with a $3500 theft excess.

An example of the forum truly helping out :)