Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

'Special Insurance'

I know there is a thread in history on here somewhere about special types of insurance for those cars that are only used 'now and then'..

But I can't find it and don't feel like spending an hour doing it :)
So if someone could link me to it, or answer my question, that would be great!

What are the companies that do 'special' insurance, eg: cars that travel small amount of Ks - but not Classic Insurance which I know some companies do.
And if you know the approx rules/price etc that would be great too.

Cheers!

I use AA classic cover for my e28 .

agreed value

costs about $200-250 a year for 20k cover .

5000km a year

no windscreen cover

normal cars costing about $500-700 depending on value and age etc

Hi all,

New around here and have yet to create an introduction thread - hopefully you can forgive me so I can share my recent experience regarding insurance. Briefly, I'm Sam (Samantha) - Driftits much shorter other half / motorsport mad midgit. Have met a few of you at various events over the last few years. Anyway back to insurance!!

The vehicle I wanted quoted is quite different to the E60 I drive daily but I would assume cover options would be relatively standard.

Classic Cover Insurance (www.classiccover.co.nz) ....Not Just Classic Cover :)

Full Comprehensive Cover, Glass Extension without any excess, Annual Milage Restrictions, Trailer cover (up to $5k), Spare Parts Cover (up to $5k), Repairer selection, first rights to salvage and an extremely polite email conversation with Karen McGregor karen.mcgregor@classiccover.co.nz (Client Support). For a vehicle with a sum insured of $12k the annual premium would be $580 inc GST. This is far more reasonable than what I am currently paying.

Karen also provided me with a list of valuers for Classic and Unique Cars. For heavily modified, Mark Joblin seems to be their recommendation: ccltd@hotmail.com

Classic Cover strongly suggest acquiring an independant valuation to ensure the agreed value is realistic. For vehicles 1989 and newer the policy is an agreed value unless it is found to be more than 20% above market value (in which case they will pay market value). For vehicles up to 1989 the policy is also agreed value however they will only pay the value shown under your 'sum insured'.

Annual Mileage restrictions of 5000kms/3000miles p/a unless otherwise agreed. They say additional milage can easily be added but I did not ask the question if it could be lowered to say 2500kms p/a.

So far I am really impressed with the communication and will likely be changing to Classic Cover after I have arranged a valuation. The whole 'quote' experience has been great!

If anyone is interested in the list of valuers let me know and I'll post it up :)

Still seems reasonably expensive. My car has an agreed value of $33K and for comprehensive cover with glass extension it's $940 per annum. (I'm 34 with no claims)

Hmm.. I haven't 'claimed' anything.. but I did get reversed into and the other ladies insurance she had to pay out for her damage to my car.. This shouldn't hinder it..

I pay $700ish for 3rd Party on one of my cars - if I went under business I would be paying that much for full... I am however under 25.. Still interested to see what the restricted Ks could offer..

Edited by MISS BM

I'm with Swann but it's classic car insurance. Includes $20K agreed cover, track day cover, OE glass cover, roadside recovery and unlimited kms. Just had to show that it is not a daily driver and is garaged. I pay $300 fully comp on a V12 but I am 40.

• Like 2

Hmm.. I haven't 'claimed' anything.. but I did get reversed into and the other ladies insurance she had to pay out for her damage to my car.. This shouldn't hinder it..

I pay $700ish for 3rd Party on one of my cars - if I went under business I would be paying that much for full... I am however under 25.. Still interested to see what the restricted Ks could offer..

Yes sadly there is no distinction between a 25 year old enthusiast who is careful and loves their car and a 25 year old lunatic. All lumped in the same basket unfortunately. Things get cheaper beyond 30. But in my experience there are plenty of incompetent and terrible 30+ year old drivers around to make me question that logic.

Yes sadly there is no distinction between a 25 year old enthusiast who is careful and loves their car and a 25 year old lunatic. All lumped in the same basket unfortunately. Things get cheaper beyond 30. But in my experience there are plenty of incompetent and terrible 30+ year old drivers around to make me question that logic.

Eg: lovely *cough* 40 yr old women who reversed into me at speed because she 'wasn't thinking'

Damn age.

Unfortunately all I can offer my car is a make shift marque/tent or car cover - no garage until I find one!

This classic insurance surely wouldn't cover a car in the yr2000s mark though?

Eg: lovely *cough* 40 yr old women who reversed into me at speed because she 'wasn't thinking'

Damn age. 

Unfortunately all I can offer my car is a make shift marque/tent or car cover - no garage until I find one!

This classic insurance surely wouldn't cover a car in the yr2000s mark though?

I have a feeling there are conditions in respect of age, so that could be an issue but hopefully not for your sake. My best advice would be to use a broker.

Honestly, nearly every motorway journey I make results in aggressive 40-somethings tailgating me.

I have a feeling there are conditions in respect of age, so that could be an issue but hopefully not for your sake. My best advice would be to use a broker.

Honestly, nearly every motorway journey I make results in aggressive 40-somethings tailgating me.

I'm with a Broker.. I will have to try Swann which is under my current NZI/IAG Insurance company pretty sure.

Trial and Test right. At least it's not like a 6L V12 or something I'm driving lol. I could understand then.

I'm with a Broker.. I will have to try Swann which is under my current NZI/IAG Insurance company pretty sure. 

Trial and Test right. At least it's not like a 6L V12 or something I'm driving lol. I could understand then. 

Definitely. And working in the industry (though not motor insurance) I can tell you that although there are "raters" they are just guidelines and prices can be amended to a degree. If the broker is well liked by the insurer in question there is often room for movement. Good luck!

I'm now with Protecta, and i'm not sure what age their Classic insurance starts at, but my '88 didn't meet the criteria, but because they had apparently made a mistake and had accepted coverage ( temporary until all forms were signed etc ), they made the exception to cover it.

Swann starts to ensure from 20yrs onwards from my experience (car age).

Damn, Thank you anyway!

I'm now with Protecta, and i'm not sure what age their Classic insurance starts at, but my '88 didn't meet the criteria, but because they had apparently made a mistake and had accepted coverage ( temporary until all forms were signed etc ), they made the exception to cover it.

Where you with Swann before?

I'm with Swann but it's classic car insurance. Includes $20K agreed cover, track day cover, OE glass cover, roadside recovery and unlimited kms. Just had to show that it is not a daily driver and is garaged. I pay $300 fully comp on a V12 but I am 40.

+1 same same.. $305 for $15k agreed cover, incl track day......

I work for Classic Cover.

As a brief description, we have very recently become able to insure daily driven modern prestige vehicles (that's us - BMWs) under what would have been our classic scheme. Agreed value (within 20% of a reasonable market value), no under 25s, garaged, $5,000 spare parts, nil excess for glass, like-for-like cover etc. If your car isn't garaged, we can now cater to that. Mileage limits are a standard 5,000km, but we have higher limits available.

Generally speaking we only insure drivers over 25, but if you're 24 and have a clean history then there is a chance we can insure with an additional excess.

Cheers

Edited by Top Secret

I work for Classic Cover.

Feel free to email me on dietmar.raath@classiccover.co.nz and I'll be happy to answer any queries.

As a brief description, we have very recently become able to insure daily driven modern prestige vehicles (that's us - BMWs) under what would have been our classic scheme. Agreed value (within 20% of a reasonable market value), no under 25s, garaged, $5,000 spare parts, nil excess for glass, like-for-like cover etc. If your car isn't garaged, we can now cater to that. Mileage limits are a standard 5,000km, but we have higher limits available.

Generally speaking we only insure drivers over 25, but if you're 24 and have a clean history then there is a chance we can insure with an additional excess.

Cheers

Out of curiosity, what are the upper limits for mileage for dailies?

My E30 Convertible 325i is with Swann, $300 P/A, full $10k

But it is your main vehicle (daily driver), so they wont be covering you anyway.

As a brief description, we have very recently become able to insure daily driven modern prestige vehicles (that's us - BMWs) under what would have been our classic scheme.

Cheers

But it is your main vehicle (daily driver), so they wont be covering you anyway.

Really?

Edited by Ahmedsinc

I just finalised my classic car cover with Swann this afternoon. I'm under 25, got the cabrio covered for agreed value $11k with a $300p.a premium and unlimited kms. Happy chappy!

My m3 is with classic cover,(I'm 27) dealt with dietmar with sorting it all out. I pay about 400 with my Kms up'd to 7,000 a year, not that I've been close to 5 yet, spent too much time in pieces making her perfect ! Had no issues when I claimed to have the front end fixed after hitting a hare and only being with them for about 2 months

I just finalised my classic car cover with Swann this afternoon. I'm under 25, got the cabrio covered for agreed value $11k with a $300p.a premium and unlimited kms. Happy chappy!

interesting, i wonder why you got unlimited kms and I didnt, it is your primary car too right?

Nope, it won't be daily driven. (Due mostly to rain!) Should have mentioned that