Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Bridgestone s001

Anyone had much experience with these tyres before and care to share how they find them? How do they compare to re050a's or re002's ?

My neighbour has just fitted them to his R32 golf and is really impressed with them , I was keen on them but they are not available in the sizes I want

Yeah they are only available for my rear tyre size. So thought I'd just run re002's up front and s001's rear.

Two very different tyres in terms of behaviour and feel, would expect this to be a very sub optimal match

What is your experience in tyres?

I probably am already running a 'sub optimal' match then. Currently running:

FL: RE001
FR: RE002
RL: RE002
RR: RE050A

:D

Runs and feels fine to me. Maybe I'm not picky or just haven't experienced an awesome setup yet. :shrug:

I thought the S001's were just the next step up the line in Bridgestone tyres, from the RE002. Didn't think it would make a massive difference if i split them front/rears.

Edited by Arma

Re 002 is  supposedly based on F1 wet technology from about 5 years ago.

I have them all round on my E36 and have not been overly impressed with them for brisk open road driving as they do not cope with surface changes, temp changes and dry / damp / wet transitions  as well as the 050 did

They come into their own when they are hot on a dry day and being caned through corners on a smooth surface. .

The style of tyre trades off medium to high speed precision for ultimate grip - they can feel vague and inconsistent  if not committed , although once fully loaded up feel good.

S001 is a development of the 050 style of tyre which is more a classic European style high performance tyre  ( Conti sport contact,   Michelin PS2/3 & Pirelli rosso) .

Excellent high speed stability, precise turn in  and really good feed back. Trend to slight understeer when pushed hard , but track very consistently

Better in the wet when cold than the RE002 - more feel more stick and more consistent across damp / wet transitions.

Assuming your car is well set up and suspension in good condition - your  proposed combo would give:

-- a loose front end  and a very accurate rear end at medium to high speeds and would be sensitive to rear toe

--  sticky front end and a progressively softening rear end that will start walking when really pushed

Honestly, what qualifies you to make these statements?

For a start it's an opinion not "statements"  which you choose to label them as,

Secondly they are a response to the post - in respect of the query raised in the post  and the expressed opinion - I have plenty of experience and I do my homework.

How about you make a contribution  that benefits the O.P rather than just  being judgemental and bitching

Read back through your posts. You post as though you've fitted just about every tyre ever conceived to your car and have decades of technical experience. Opinions are fine, but there's nothing worse than someone who makes out that they have legitimate technical experience, when in actual fact they don't. No one likes a charlatan. Take that how you will, but my bet is that it's the reality. My constructive advice to the OP is to talk to a qualified professional.
  • Like 1

Complete off-topic, but I for one enjoy reading Ron's posts and hope he'll keep posting despite not being appreciated by everyone...

• Like 7

Complete off-topic, but I for one enjoy reading Ron's posts and hope he'll keep posting despite not being appreciated by everyone...

I agree! There's always some opinion, some statement and some truth, all delivered in a usually negative way... but it's always more helpful than not.

• Like 1

So what did you come up with, Arma? Have recently put semi slicks on, what a difference

Still got RE002's up front, one with 7mm tread, other brand new. Rears, haven't changed yet. Got one RE050A with about 5.5mm tread and RE002 with 4mm. Will wait till those wear out before I change.

I've noticed I lose a bit of traction on [sealed] rural roads at high speed (90-110kph) on like 4th gear more often than I used i.e. traction light flickers slightly when I press the gas at that speed on 4th gear. Doubt I have enough torque to cause wheel spin at this speed - but could just be a sign of my rears wearing out. Figured 5.5mm and 4mm should be ok though. This is not during sharp turns btw. Just very mild curves that can be done at 100ks. Not sure if it is the old spare tyre that I've chucked on the front left - it had over 7mm tread left but is almost 5 yrs old.

Still got RE002's up front, one with 7mm tread, other brand new. Rears, haven't changed yet. Got one RE050A with about 5.5mm tread and RE002 with 4mm. Will wait till those wear out before I change.

I've noticed I lose a bit of traction on [sealed] rural roads at high speed (90-110kph) on like 4th gear more often than I used i.e. traction light flickers slightly when I press the gas at that speed on 4th gear. Doubt I have enough torque to cause wheel spin at this speed - but could just be a sign of my rears wearing out. Figured 5.5mm and 4mm should be ok though. This is not during sharp turns btw. Just very mild curves that can be done at 100ks. Not sure if it is the old spare tyre that I've chucked on the front left - it had over 7mm tread left but is almost 5 yrs old.

FWIW the 3.5mm Falkens that were on the family wagon used to make the traction light flicker often. Replaced them at the start of the month and now the light only flashes when it's nearly at the point of no return. Perhaps the slightly smaller rolling diameter is enough to trick the wheel speed sensors into thinking one or both wheels are breaking loose? Could also be the different friction coefficient of the different patterns on the rear has a similar effect?

My guess is the geriatric tyre on your front left will cause you more trouble with understeer due to being old & hard than anything else. Might pay to drive very softly til you get new ones!

Hey Adeeb, what are the sizes you're running? Are they faccy spec?

cheers

Yup factory spec.

235 45 17's front

255 40 17's rear

Had problems with traction control coming on when the back tyres were nearly gone then I got a flat so put on the spare- so one 2mm tyre and one ~7mm tyre on the back. New rubber and all solved- I'm running the staggered fitment too. So it was the difference in tread depth that was upsetting T/C- but now it's on some of Bridgestones finest, much idiocy must be employed to wake T/C up.

Just looked at the tyres on my latest car and they are Bridgestone S001s, they are run-flats though. I'd guess you'd be looking at non-RFT though right?

Just looked at the tyres on my latest car and they are Bridgestone S001s, they are run-flats though. I'd guess you'd be looking at non-RFT though right?

Yeah not that keen on getting runflats

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they did them in both run-flat and non-run-flat. Seems odd to me that they have both types under the same tyre code.

FWIW they seem to go all right in the run-flat version :mellow:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they did them in both run-flat and non-run-flat. Seems odd to me that they have both types under the same tyre code.

FWIW they seem to go all right in the run-flat version :mellow:

Thought the runflats are suffixed with RFT ?

Run flats should have RSC in a circle on them

Yeah, they have the RSC symbol on the tyre and the RFT written on them, but when I look online for sizes or prices they are all referenced as just "S001" which I thought was a bit confusing, that's all.