Sign in to follow this  
3pedals

X5 turbo rebuild

The hairdryer on the school bus let go on a road trip yesterday.

Anyone got recommendations for a "spitzen classe" rebuild and if there are opportunities to tweak it in the process.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

380 hp from an a series mini engine !

• Like 1

Im booked up for the next 25 yrs, at-least all the work sitting in the shop gives me that impression lol

I sooooo need a holiday

All sorted should a lot faster now that it has lightened my wallet

Cars and woman all play well on your wallet, but doesn't stop us doing it

• Like 1

Wifes car - must be doubly expensive ??

Wifes car - must be doubly expensive ??

HAhaha

not for me in single with kids plus too many cars plus moneys over rated lol

Given there we no useful replies and this is now resolved can I suggest the moderator remove this thread, it serves no purpose

yes it was entertaining, but not enlightening - no enduring value.

New hair dryer went on last week, clocked up just over 1,000km and the differences are noticeable.

Garrett distributor suggests the cause of failure is "OIL DYSFUNCTION" I suspect this is not the case for two reasons:

1) oil was perfect and service has never thrown up any 'oil contamination' or oil issues in 150,000km,

2) engine responds completely differently with the new hair dryer.

Power is more linear and easier to get of the line in a hurry plus a little bit of stinky smoke on start up which we were putting down to it being a diesel is now non existent - suspect this was the beginnings of seal failure on the turbo.

I suspect the real cause is an issue with the VNT vanes/ actuator/control causing over boost under certain conditions.

So any of you with turbo'd petrol or diesels - if it puffs on start up your turbo seals may be on the way out - get it checked

Edited by 3pedals
  • Like 1

Welcome to VNT Garrett turbos

And for the record seals don't fail they are the secondary cause to the main issue, turbo's leaking oil don't show on start up it needs min 10-15min running to induce enough heat for oil to be burnt in the turbine housing to generate smoke.

For the record very few if any ( my shop does ) turbo shops will tell you whats wrong with your setup its not part of their job i do however cover every detail to pin point to prevent it happening again, i also cover every aspect of a custom build including motor build to get the best from your dollar spent but again very few will cover this.

• Like 1

So the comment about seals is my assumption based on their comments and my observation of no more smoke

The question then is So why did the smoke stop, and;

I specifically requested and they accepted to diagnose the turbo cause of failure. So I would expect them to give a decent answer .

P.S. it's all very good trotting this out now, but some constructive input earlier would have been useful, any one can be a expert after the fact

Edited by 3pedals

Im not trying to be an expert after the fact since you never approached me after i was mentioned to you i don't chase work i have no need to im overload pretty much all year round, ive been building and designing turbos ( yes i actually cast and make my own ) for over 30yrs !

I was merely pointing out some finer details i haven't seen what you had ( again you never asked me you went else where ) despite all this if its a diesel and the turbo isnt performing according to the fuel pump curve it will smoke they rely heavily on all functions to be 100%, in saying that your now sorted and im sure you learnt much so job done.

I went elsewhere because your post says "25 years work ahead of me" which I read as "not interested " so I went to a reputable shop that did it rapidly and provided exceptional service as BM workshop always do.

Note they were not the shop who gave the diagnoses, but they don't agree with what was diagnosed either, so some insight is still sought.

Edited by 3pedals

I also have a sense of humor which goes over many heads, the old story dude if you don't ask you'll never know still your sorted now onward and upwards not looking for shat fight :)

Nor am I so where do I get a decent diagnosis of cause of failure, the rationale being: If there is an underlying issue e.g oil supply then I would like to develop a preventative action to reduce the risk of re_occurrence.

for me to evaluate the issue i needed to see it as it came off the car everything tells a story, i ask the same when i present info for small claims court otherwise its unfair on all parties

That's as much a crock of sh*t as the comments from Alltech, have a nice day playing in your shed and I won't be bothering you at your business.

WOW dude lighten up how the hell can i tell whats wrong without seeing it?

I do alot of work for Alltech and many other turbo shops they are as you say very reputable no one has sabotage your ride you do however sound rather tarnished by the whole deal that has little to do with me,

Have a fantastic day

• Like 3

X5 turbo rebuild - the conclusions or NOT.

So the story started out with a dead turbo and the question was - Who can do a "Spittzen classe rebuild" ---- there was no reply to this question.

Official NZ line

--- "VNT type turbos are deemed non rebuildable" - buy a new one

---Diagnoses of cause of failure " Oil Dysfunction" - what ever that means

Second opinion

--- no obvious signs of oil contamination or failure

--- no damage to turbine shaft

--- looks like bearing wear has allowed the turbine wheels to contact the housing then further rapid damage to bearing and turbine wheel has resulted in failure.

International evidence: VNT type turbos are easily re-buildable.

--- bearing replacement kits available,

---- bearing upgrade kits available,

---- Full rebuild kits available,

---- actuator kits available,

---- turbine wheels and shafts available,

---- complete rebuilt cartridges available,

---- Complete rebuilt turbos available.

Bearings appear to be prone to wear and several parties offer upgrade kits also vanes can stick on "nannied" vehicles

My conclusions for this particular turbo are:

Maybe the previous owner was not so diligent with service and wear may have been accelerated , maybe 150,000km is all one an expect from the plain bearings fitted as at 250,000 they were rooted.

Other than possibly some initial bearing wear due to (non) service by previous owner "OIL Dysfunction" is probably not the primary cause of failure.

Over boost due to sticking vanes may have contributed - purely subjective but based on softer more linear behaviour with new turbo which suggests previous was not functioning correctly.

Most likely cause of failure - bearing wear allowing the turbine to contact the housing resulting in rapid damage to the turbine and bearing - consistent with the experience during failure and the condition of the, oil, bearing and turbine wheels

Path forward:

--- looking at fitting an in line filter and,

--- scheduling removal of turbo at 100,000 km intervals for bearing replacement.

An interesting exercise and lot learned- might even do the rebuild myself ??

There is a You tube clip ((Cordia.com -- complete with kiwi accent - could this be a young crunchy??)) which shows all you need is vice grips, long nose pliers, a screwdriver and a couple of ring spanners and you too can be a turbo rebuild expert !!!!