Sign in to follow this  
HSB

Aesthetic paint mods

Hi!

Am after some advice as to two changes I want to make on my '06 323i...

That advice is - should I do the following changes? and if so, is it simple enough to do myself (or who in WGTN should I trouble)?

Have ripped all these photos off the net but yeah appreciate more clued up peoples advice please :D

1. My grill - thinking about going from silver to matte black. Y/N ?

post-51309-0-80875300-1416738959.png

2. Window rims (are oxidised on one side) - am coveting the all black sleek look... is this as simple as I'm making it in my mind?

post-51309-0-89144100-1416738520.png

Grills look good in matte black. Easiest to plastidip as you cN take it off again.

I think the ete lids in that pic look good to. Removing the horrible orange around the light

What look are you after as this is a personnel issue. The all black makes it look gangster like but with a discreet amount of chrome the prestige factor is retained also a nice set of wheels goes a long way to set the look of a vehicle would ditch those orange bits.

I definitely do not have orange bits on my lights!!(gross).

Yip I really do not want it to look thuggish that's what I've been told I'm heading towards....These are the wheels I have, but they are set on black (so a little bit different to this picture).

Posted Image

I like the idea of plastic dip and being able to take off the black - who do I go to for this?

What about the window rims - anyone got tips for this - is it a long process? Or can a panel + paint shop sort it for me?

Genuine black grills from bmw are $87 each...then you can just swap them back. A can of plastic dip is $30 and you have to make it look flash.

Plastidip everything. Get a spray gun for it its like $15. Saves ur index finger

Do the job properly. Plastidip is cheap for a reason.

Orange lights are on the American cars she's taken the photos from online.

Plastidip is alright, been there done that. Much prefer the genuine article from BMW.

The window trims aren't as easy as one might think. To do it properly costs $x,000s from memory.

You can mask off the rest of the windows and roof area and Plastidip it or vinyl wrap. I'd go Plastidip for ease of application but if you do, lay it on thick so it's not a total pain in the ass to take off.

Hey H, i'm doing the same thing with mine :D i tried plastidip on the grille looks ok but not 100% so purchased a gloss black one off the bay, should arrive this week so i let know what it's like, also got smoked indicators of TM $50 bucks, wheels i will paint gloss black over xmas as i'm more than happy with m-sport wheels and save some $$$$$

post-16049-0-85683500-1416895973.jpg

churr for all the responses, appreciate it. i wanted to be able to say "a general consensus is" but you all seem pretty torn between genuine v plasti-dip for grill. because the genuine opt is only $80ish (and not fiddly) i'll get one of those.

however jury is still in deliberation on the window trims.

sure enough I youtubed "plastidip on" and it autofilled window trim for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdj4mlDC_g

has any one tried this technique? it fascinates me that you would leave a considerable gap and then 'peel' it off your paint. my natural thought would be to tape it up right tight to the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDGDx_QFDb0

also this one.... haha bmw ay. :ph34r:

Yep the 'gap'/peel off thing works fine. If you go too close you run the risk of peeling it in a place that you legit want it.

Yep the 'gap'/peel off thing works fine. If you go too close you run the risk of peeling it in a place that you legit want it.

ahh i see. RIP E46? what did you do?

It had bad parents (to say the least, leave it at that) anyway! I think the options for you are plastidip, Spraypainters, shadowline tape/vinyl, and i think genuine shadowline trim. I'm not sure how well plastidip goes with oxidized things but if there's no answer online it wont hurt the pocket too much to do a small test.

It had bad parents (to say the least, leave it at that)

well......shorty street. :lol:

anyway! I think the options for you are plastidip, Spraypainters, shadowline tape/vinyl, and i think genuine shadowline trim. I'm not sure how well plastidip goes with oxidized things but if there's no answer online it wont hurt the pocket too much to do a small test.

did a little research, the oxidiation should have little to no effect so i'm gonna have a go at this: http://www.dipyourcar.com/Emblems/Window-Trim/Grille-Kits/ project time

• Like 1

Ive done plastidip on everything from wheels grills window trim to a whole car with 10 cans.

Leaving about an inch gap then peeling off the excess works well for most things. Especially things like the number badges for example.

For window trim i would mask with 1inch excess then peel off otherwise u might peel off the plastidip on the trim while removing the masking tape.

If u need advice feel free to ask.

And yes, it may be cheap and sometimes not as good as paint or replacing the part but its 100% reversible (key merit imo) and did i mention its cheap?

Looks alright if you spray well and put on enough layers. Like 5+ coats usually.

Ive done plastidip on everything from wheels grills window trim to a whole car with 10 cans.

Leaving about an inch gap then peeling off the excess works well for most things. Especially things like the number badges for example.

For window trim i would mask with 1inch excess then peel off otherwise u might peel off the plastidip on the trim while removing the masking tape.

And yes, it may be cheap and sometimes not as good as paint or replacing the part but its 100% reversible (key merit imo) and did i mention its cheap?

Looks alright if you spray well and put on enough layers. Like 5+ coats usually.

ahh merci qube - i'll take you up on that offer and msg you once i've got the stuff.

i too like the fact that its reversible - before asking on here I was certain i'd have to spray-paint it which i saw going terribly ^_^

sick that looks cool - link ? you purchased it off eBay right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qube I just went to PM you re plastidip-ing and it says you can't receive anymore....ghost?! Hahaha

chrome grill is the best for black cars imo,gives a bit of contrast must admit the wide moustache at the top gives me cause to reconsider.

Qube I just went to PM you re plastidip-ing and it says you can't receive anymore....ghost?! Hahaha

Cant figure out how to delete msgs from inbox on my phone. My msg box is full thats why i cant receive your pm

Email me wonkaa atgmail.com