Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 Suspension squeak on right side

Noticed something. Whenever I'd get into my car and just kind of fall into the seat, I'd hear the suspension squeak a bit due to the bounce. So I went out and bobbed the car up and down from each corner.

With right being the drivers side:

Front right: Squeaks

Front left: No squeak

Rear right: squeaks

Rear left: no squeak

Could these just be the sway bar bushes or something squeaking? Or can the squeak potentially come from several sources? in which case this thread may be silly.

My rear sway bar links and bushes are only around ~10k kms old.

Or... is all of this just normal and something just needs a bit of wd40? :-)

Perhaps it's the ball joints. On that note, just remembered, I've replaced the following in the last 12 months:

• Rear left ball joint
  • Front left ball joint (I think) + control arm

I don't think the right ball joints have been replaced at all. However, they tested wheel play at my WOF couple weeks ago and there was no play.

Isn't that kinda normal? Unless its abnormally loud. Mine does it but wouldn't really think twice about it. These cars make sooo many horrible noises, you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure them out and sort them (ask me how I know, king of paranoia hahaha), but really its just how they are. E39 quirks :D

Thinking about it, both E39's and E36 I had done that

Edited by rusteee

Oh i'm a victim of that strange E36 Sqeak! P'eeeed off half the time driving the damn thing yet the car handles well, wof standard, and looks the part....except the sqeak haha. I believe it's my ball joint, left side front, installed 30k ago....???? Hmm.

Does it still squeak with the car in park and handbrake off?

Good call. Turns out the squeak is there when the handbrake is engaged. When it's disengaged, no squeak.