Sign in to follow this  
RobD

Dream Drives

Following on from the excellent Pistonheads idea of a Dream Drives route and description, post yours here. City, start point, end point, approximate distance and road quality.

Done one of my dream drives. PCH from San Fran to San Diego.

Only trouble was that it was in a shitty brand new Kia Sorento. And we missed the West Coast BMW Festival at Leguna Seca by one day...

I'm thinking more local, even though I have to agree the PCH is pretty epic! How about your more typical Sunday morning 2 hour round trip type of drive?

I usually go through Clevedon, Down to East Cost road / Hunua etc. Some great roads hiding there and are fairly close.

Start point Christchurch end Kumara Juction pub SH73. Otherwise known as the Arthurs Pass. Road variable from tight hills to wide open straights, forest, viaduct, kias,rivers, snow in colder months.

I know of a few... have done many rally's, like 15 this year and been all over the place.

West coast is beautiful in the South, I come over the crown ranges and headed across and up. Great roads.

But, personally, I love a goat track, bumpy, rough, twisty and challenging with narrow bridges, blind brows and jumps in the mix.. preferably with the road closed.

From Auckland, in a yawn (road) car, you cant beat the good old drive to Kaiaua for fish and chups... that one corner got me in my E30 once.

• Like 1

Definitely the Auckland to Kaiaua route. Another Auckland one is Kahikatea Flat Road from Dairy Flat, all the way to the Kaipara Coast Highway. North along there to Wellsford and then south via SH1. It's about 2 hours and a good mix of roads

In Auckland. Nowhere. Too much traffic.

Late night run of the Rimatuka's South Bound is great. North bound is sh*t though. Has to be at night otherwise there is just too much traffic including heavy trucks just crawling. No strong side barriers though. Road surface is pretty standard.

Masterton to Castle Point on the Coast is pretty good. Stop off at the Mrs friends pub out there for lunch. Road can be a little rough. But you can drive on the beach at the end. Road is very quiet.

Wanaka to Haast is great. DId it on a sunny day in a XK8 convertible Jag. Awesome going through the winding snow capped mountains with the roof down. Hard to keep your eyes on the road as you just want to look around the whole time. Surface was good in the summer. Can get caught up behind stupid hippies in their sh*t cars that are long past needing to go to a wrecker. Hasst going North I found extremely boring and full of camper vans.

Edited by driftit

Did this route a few weeks back.... Invers to Queenstown via that route is quite fun.

post-4315-0-14577100-1417066475.png

Start point Christchurch end Kumara Juction pub SH73. Otherwise known as the Arthurs Pass. Road variable from tight hills to wide open straights, forest, viaduct, kias,rivers, snow in colder months.

Used to travel that when I was a lad to see my mums family for Xmas most years. Loved that drive! Was better now that im older and can drive, took my old 328i through there a few times. Good thing the missus took her sea legs, was having too much fun to slow down! Better take the m3 through one day

Drive from St Albans out through the red zone residential area all the way to New Brighton.Come back, and marvel at the suspension system on an e39.

Chalk one up for BMW...seriously useful cars I think....

Did this route a few weeks back.... Invers to Queenstown via that route is quite fun.

You all should have entered Targa South Island (where the best roads in the world are hidden)..

Caitlins Stage was 45km the most superb high-speed road in NZ, straights, banked corners, valleys, hills.. awesome !

Combine The Utimate Driving Machine and The Ultimate Road Race; enter the next Targa Tour in your BMW and have 160kph limit and use of both sides of the road :)

• Like 3

Haha, I get to drive on all of these roads for work as we have customers everywhere.

Except.. in a Ssangyong Actyon Sport......

Few years back

Living in London, coming up to Xmas and the wife asks "what do you want for Xmas " my usual reply, "a Ferrari would be good thanks" knowing that we are unlikely to get one.

Xmas roles around and there's an envelope. I'm thinking cd voucher, show tickets, clothing vouchers. Open to discover a voucher.

Couple weeks later we head off to Silverstone F1GP track and I get to drive a Ferrari around the track at a reasonable pace.

Haha, I get to drive on all of these roads for work as we have customers everywhere.

Except.. in a Ssangyong Actyon Sport......

Saw a whole bunch of the "race series" 'yongs heading south yesterday afternoon.

Why anyone would race them I have no idea. 2.3l petrol ute with an open diff - No thanks

Saw a whole bunch of the "race series" 'yongs heading south yesterday afternoon.

Why anyone would race them I have no idea. 2.3l petrol ute with an open diff - No thanks

They are an embarrassment to racing.

The fastest one did a 1:31 around Puke. Hahahaha.

The road from Nelson to Golden Bay. Takes you up this mountain roads up through the clouds and back down. Narrow curvy roads with lots of elevation changes, sheer cliff drops next to the road, like a tarmac rally course almost.

Incredible fun. Can put some serious wear on your brakes, I managed to overheat mine by having a bit too much fun...

The coastal road from Dubrovnik(croatia) to Orebic in my high performance sports car.(approx 2hr drive)

Superb cliff highways etc, cruised this route many times.

post-1048-0-29039700-1417727115.jpg

Edited by mr E34