Sign in to follow this  
beemwr

M30/35 engine transplant in e30 the best brake booster advice sought?

Tried setting-up with-out a brake booster because there was a lack of clearance with the origunal e30 one. Have tried the Pedal Box set-up doesn't cut the mustard though, scary trying to slow and stop on demand.

Needs to be a booster <100mm radius for clearance of inlet manifold.

Is there a brake booster that can just slot in or with minimal modification?

Just move the standard e30 booster over towards the fuse box and use an e34 brake rod as it is longer. Just cut and rethread to suit, but do the side with the RH thread, not the LH thread, unless you happen to have a LH die...

Or you could modify your firewall and move the booster over to the driver's side using an e36 pedal cluster like I have done in my e30m60, and fit e32 callipers/Audi TT discs and e32 master cylinder. Guaranteed to stop it!

• Like 2

Thanks for your experience and advice Will, (don't have a computer at home takes a few days to check in). We searched a local car-wreckers in the end, no e32 (or other known boosters that have been tried from doing a google search) but ended up with a Saab one; that connected up with the booster reversed into the left hand passenger footwell working good in braking response. Using standard e30 325i rotors and pads which faded quite dramatically). Going to try Resma pads ($60 a set) to counter the brake fade when tested on the track at the weekend past. I use them on our other track car having used the much dearer Feroda race pads which were recommended. Cheers

Pm'd Will

If you use the bigger master cylinder it helps a lot. I have a new one FROM THE E32 part # 34 31 1 156 643 from the 735 and 750i cars. I used this set up when I put an M54 into my E30. Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff

021 449 242

Edited by FIAT 131R

Thanks Geoff, do you have any LSD for the e30 too? Has a 3.43 LSD but not locking seems it might need something a bit taller though with the amount of torque available. I will contact you on the number provided.

I have an E30 medium case 4.27 LSD.

Edited by FIAT 131R

another booster setup that will have grunt and give more space around the manifold

post-3751-0-96055300-1420484097_thumb.jp