Sign in to follow this  
Chalkie

E38 key re-initialisation fails, may be blocked - possible to unblock?

Hi, I can't re-initialise my 1997 E38's key remote function. I suspect my failed attempted have now blocked the key re-initialise function.

Is it possible to unblock that function (e.g. using my CarSoft MI6, or one of the coding tools, or anything else)?

My key is the old 2-button infrared type. It is not key #1, it is key #4 according to I-bus messages. I am following the reinitialisation sequence correctly. The battery is good, the infrared LED and the regular red LED are both visibly working. The regular red LED also blinks slowly when I try the re-initialisation sequence, as it should, but the doors don't lock/unlock as they are supposed to. The central locking works through all other methods. The fuel door locks/unlocks as it should. The key starts the car OK (I know that's unrelated to the remote, but it shows the key is recognised).

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/pbjy/media/E46%20Lock/E39ReInitializingProcedure.jpg.html

Issue began after I removed battery from key for about 30 minutes. Was compounded by a problem with driver's door open microswitch, which is what makes me suspect re-initialisation is now blocked. Driver's door switch now works, and ZKE correctly reports door open/closed status for both front doors.

Any help appreciated! Cheers!

Call in and let me take a look. If you have more than one key...bring them. Ring first (09)2722546

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Hi there, thanks for that, I did get it sorted. I wasn't holding the unlock button long enough in 1st step of procedure, need to hold it until it flashes rapidly, then continue with rest of steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe that's why it won't work on my e36! Will have to retry