Sign in to follow this  
deane30

Unlocking car from inside

Hi all

Watched Seven Sharp last night and there was a story about a couple who got locked inside their brand new Mazda3 for 13 hours as their key fob was out of range. Turns out there was a manual lock/unlock switch on the door which they didn't know about.

Anyway, this got me investigating how to manually unlock my e87 from the inside with no key fob. My wife locked me in and I tried the following with no luck:

1. Pulling lock knob up

2. Pulling door handle twice (note this does work if car is locked using the console switch but not the key fob)

3. Opening boot

4. Using lock/unlock button on centre console

Does anyone have any idea how to unlock car from the inside without having the key fob? Seems kind of dodgy if it can't be done. Obviously if you were getting desperate you could try smash your way out however the gent on TV tried to use his jack and still couldn't smash the window.

Cheers

Dean

What did you have to agree to before the wife let you out?

• Like 2

haha yea I guess the answer is to have your phone on you so you can call for help or go on bimmersport. Seriously though, anyone have any ideas?

When the car is locked with remote, I understand it is deadlocked - like Mondeo's, many Commodores & others are.

When deadlocked - none of those you tied will work.

To get in before, I have opened the bonnet then powered up a relay to wake the car up & activate the window switches, then wind a window down to get in

I'm busy with a magnetic entry swipe system for my E39 ute. If you short 12v+ to fuse 6 or 27, you can get it to open from the inside :)

Keep some crushed bits of porcelain in the car as a last resort. Will shatter the window when thrown with a little bit of strength. I know this works from experience. (I am not a car thief or any kind of thief so don't go there :P)

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

Hypothetically speaking, short of an abduction, under what circumstances would you find yourself deadlocked in your own car without the key at hand?

Only situation I can think of is fetching something from your car and a child accidentally hits the lock button. Which is why I never go into the car without the key in my pocket - I'm THAT paranoid ;)

I can get out of the M3 if its locked. Because i dont have factory alarm it doesnt deadlock without using the key. Pulling the interior handle once will unlock it, and pulling again will open door. Either way, on a modern car, shouldnt there be an emergency boot release? If the seats fold down, climb in boot and use release.

^^^^ Console locking button is dead once the car is asleep.

Don't know for sure but there is probably a relay behind the glove box that could be bridged to switch ign or linking battery to ign fuses to turn on the windows. Obviously would require a conductive device to bridge the circuits though.

P.C. mode off...

Errr... Why were they both in the car, with the doors closed, without the key?

"When they were freed by neighbours about 7.45am the next day, Mrs Smith was unconscious and her husband was struggling to breathe." :blink:

Aha..... hotboxing.

• Like 2

even the e34 could be deadlocked,but it had to be wiith key and you cant lock the drivers door without the key.ie you could lock any other door and just slam it but not the drivers door...had to be locked with key

^^^^^ Same with the E30 too.

What people woman do is lock them in the boot - car already deadlocked.

^^^^^ Same with the E30 too.

What people woman do is lock them in the boot - car already deadlocked.

the boot would have to be already open when you deadlock the car?

My sister has a swift sport... Keyless..

we decided to try.... guess what

you can just pop the lock and get out as usual. tragic.

• Like 2

W205 C-Class i drove yesterday, keyless AND has auto locks.... pull the handle and it unlocks.