Sign in to follow this  
m3Dakar

e36 M3 sedan Coilovers experiences?

Wanting to get some coil overs for my m3 get it handling a bit better, wanting to get your feedback on the good/bad etc etc looking at BC or Yellowspeeds at the moment. Any help would be appreciated

I'd start with bushes before coil overs. Thought mine were good untill I pulled them all out. Much tighter now!

• Like 1

+1 for what Justin said. Coilovers are fine if you're forever changing the ride height or if you track at multiple circuits. But they get uneconomic pretty quick IMO once you factor in the cert plate cost. And regardless, if your bushes are poked a set of coilovers won't make any real difference except being a lot harder on the ride quality, and to run a true coilover in the rear requires a whole heap of bracing & reinforcement to stop the damn thing from punching through the strut tower.

Go for a full ball joint & bush overhaul (front control arms, rear trailing arms, subframe, swaybars and diff bushes) then look at a set of H&R / Vogtland / Eibach coils and a set of adjustable Koni / Bilstein shocks. Will probably work out more expensive than throwing medium quality coilovers at it but the results would be exponentially better.

Just my 2c of course :)

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Hey guys, iv already done all the bushed throughout and put in adjustable sway bar into the front had the wheel alignment done 3 times finally right after the 3rd attempt as the guy seemed to think a 318 coupe and an m3 had the same tolerances lol. It handles well but still slightly soft for my liking it has fresh bilstein shocks and springs i got made in Chch. Maybe I'm expecting to much from doing a bit of circuit racing previously in. I do like things Low and fairly firm in happy to sacrifice a bit of comfort for that. Maybe i will try get it up on the hoist again and see if theres anything ov missed

MY bad it is a range not tolerances i just couldn't think of the word at the time.

I will do a bit of homework over the break, most of the springs i have come across don't lower the car enough for me hence why i thought perhaps a coil over maybe a better option.

I have got a few guys who race fairly seriously and are always tinkering and fine tuning with Suspension setups so i may have a talk with them soon and see what they suggest

ive got XYZ on my car seem really good. Also its my daily drive and its a PITA to drive in and out of driveways as i often end up teeter tottering on two diagonal wheels stuck.... and taking a run up endangers the lip.

• Like 3

I am running FK SilverLine Plus X Coilover System. These are adjustable KONI struts (rebound adjustable) with stainless steal bodies. I am using my car on a daily bases and take it to the local track every now and then, and I couldn't be happier with them!!! Overall, very good ride for our post war Christchurch roads, amazing on a highway. They are also very "forgiving" on a track, but still a massive improvement from stock. However I must note I have rebuilt my entire suspension, I am running AKG bushes all around (where available), turner motorsport adjustable rear lower arms, new from lover control arms, and all my other bushes are changed for new Genuine BMW bushes. I have also installed reversed M3 Evo top hats and Z-roadster reinforcement plates for the struts, and White Line sway bars. :))))