Sign in to follow this  
JackDatBoi

Leaking Head?

Hey there,

Went to check my oil levels today and noticed a small puddle of coolant near the bottom of the head! I wiped it clean to see if I could locate

the source. I noticed it was leaking out from what looks to be the head - I'm not a car buff! :S

If anyone could put me in the correct direction, It would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

post-17446-0-54920500-1418780709_thumb.j

post-17446-0-39066900-1418780753_thumb.j

Looks like it could be a head gasket, does the car overheat? If you remove the radiator cap and start the car, are there little bubbles forming on top of the coolant? Does the coolant look like it has an oil slick on it? Is there steam coming out the exhaust even after the car is warmed up?

Looks like it could be a head gasket, does the car overheat? If you remove the radiator cap and start the car, are there little bubbles forming on top of the coolant? Does the coolant look like it has an oil slick on it? Is there steam coming out the exhaust even after the car is warmed up?

Cheers mate,

The puddle's been there for months! It's the only time I've noticed it leaking from the head. I've check for smoke a few times and nothing shows up. It started to overheat in traffic over the weekend, but once I started picking up speed, the needle goes straight down to around one quarter.. I've topped the radiator up with water and topped the oil up - seems to be fine! Can't figure it out!

Edited by JackDatBoi

If the temp gueage is going down to 25% I'd be investigating your thermostat and / or the temp sensor. Needle should always be at 12 - though it may be different for E21? (Buggered if I can think of why though)

Head gaskets can let go without sending water into the bore though, so that could still be the problem. I would have expected a little water / oil blending but if the gasket split managed to avoid the oil passages that could explain it.

If your car has a viscous type fan clutch check that too. Climbing temps while stationary / crawling suggests air isn't being pulled through the rad core

If the temp gueage is going down to 25% I'd be investigating your thermostat and / or the temp sensor. Needle should always be at 12 - though it may be different for E21? (Buggered if I can think of why though)

Head gaskets can let go without sending water into the bore though, so that could still be the problem. I would have expected a little water / oil blending but if the gasket split managed to avoid the oil passages that could explain it.

If your car has a viscous type fan clutch check that too. Climbing temps while stationary / crawling suggests air isn't being pulled through the rad core

Thanks for the advice mate! Not 100% sure about the viscous fan clutch - so i'll look into that! Before starting work I pulled into a gas station to show you a picture of what the oil cap looks like when hot - pretty milky :S + I took a shot of the temp gauge and how it sits pretty much every day.

Cheers

Looks like you've got a job to do for the holidays! Depending on how bad it's gotten you might want to add a new radiator to the shopping list. Once they go it's nearly impossible to get all the goo out of the radiator passages. Could also be that the oil & water sludge is causing the thermostat to stick open when it's trying to close, hence the gauge needle reading low.

Park it up and replace the gasket, get the head skimmed & crack tested etc... If you keep driving it like that the sludge can build to the point where the water pump can no longer drive the sludge through the engine and you'll end u with a cracked head and / or a seized engine.

Now would also be the perfect time for an M20B25 conversion :ph34r:

Looks like you've got a job to do for the holidays! Depending on how bad it's gotten you might want to add a new radiator to the shopping list. Once they go it's nearly impossible to get all the goo out of the radiator passages. Could also be that the oil & water sludge is causing the thermostat to stick open when it's trying to close, hence the gauge needle reading low.

Park it up and replace the gasket, get the head skimmed & crack tested etc... If you keep driving it like that the sludge can build to the point where the water pump can no longer drive the sludge through the engine and you'll end u with a cracked head and / or a seized engine.

Now would also be the perfect time for an M20B25 conversion :ph34r:

I'm installing an M20B25 in a year :D I'm saving to move to Norway at the moment, so all my savings are invested in that! I'll pop to my local mechanic and see what he thinks. Thanks for all the advice though! :D

Yep head and/or gasket is gone, the thermostat in these is easy to pull out and clean, just undo the 3 hose clamps and pull it out. If you need new motor i have a spare m10b20 i can sell....

No viscous fan in these, just bolted straight to the pulley.

Yep head and/or gasket is gone, the thermostat in these is easy to pull out and clean, just undo the 3 hose clamps and pull it out. If you need new motor i have a spare m10b20 i can sell....

No viscous fan in these, just bolted straight to the pulley.

aja540i

Cheers mate. I'm seeing my mate who pretty much does everything with the car, so I'll have a chat to him and see what he thinks. How much would the motor be/ would it fit straight on?

Cheers.