Sign in to follow this  
sweetm3

M3 Evo 3.2 1997 (HACKAR) Part 2

14 minutes ago, richard said:

ah, normal steel doors empty are about 10kgs.

Left front door, steel (41518230467) = 16.980 kg

Left front door, aluminium (41518188861) = 9.400 kg

So it's 7.5 kg per door, that's meaningful weight, especially so far out from the longitudinal centre of gravity.

• Like 2

even better I'm 13.48 kgs  per door lighter.

still a good deal. Mark.

46 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

...so, are the steel doors going up for sale? 

I've gotta ask, who needs two Estoril Blue e36 doors?

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

Left front door, steel (41518230467) = 16.980 kg

Left front door, aluminium (41518188861) = 9.400 kg

So it's 7.5 kg per door, that's meaningful weight, especially so far out from the longitudinal centre of gravity.

Is that with or without the M logo puddle lights?? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Aluminium Door 13.3kgs with Window regulator attached.

Arrived today,

Clips, fasteners and fuel flap.

Turtle Laboratories door card repair brackets 

And a free tee shirt  ☺️

• Like 1

Didn't know those repair brackets existed, good to know.

Ye not cheap $190nz shipped, but new doors ................. That's why I have also brought  (hopefully)  all new clips, fasteners and grommets.

And I'll  be wearing a Schiedmann  tee at the next coffee meeting  

• Like 1

Hey Brad

Found the rear rotors on ebay, they were custom ordered from Reyland Motorsport for a E46 cost $280gbp.

But they recieve E36 ones. RM didn't want them back, so they were on EB for $140gbp + $20 for shipping.

Still have to install

• Like 1

Ha, I came to post that Brad's post (since deleted) is a perfect example of why you should never load all pics into one post on a forum... for those who missed it the entire OP of this thread was quoted. ???

Hint, hint Mark. ?

And because of the rubbish forum software we use that sends every damn picture in a notification meant that one post resulted in a 12MB download to my mobile. ?

Edited by M3AN

You spend too much time on these forums Dave! ? I deleted my post within .5 of a second... THAT was embarrassing. I think I add a whole new page to the thread lol. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 3:37 PM, sweetm3 said:

Aluminium Door 13.3kgs with Window regulator attached.

Steel Door  20.0kgs with Window regulator attached.

6.7kgs saving per door

There have been some delays, but I'm getting there.

Both new doors close now, I'm guessing I may have to do some minor adjustments to the door windows. Time will tell (after I compare mine to Dave's) ?

Door cards not in yet , as I need to go for a drive 

(More details in the first post)

Have you considered going to plexiglass?

Ye I have looked at the Hard motorsport quarters, it just the fixings,

working with the interior.

Once I get to the point of "no returns" from driver improvement. I may take a harder look at that option. 

Got a mate working on some lighter wheels

On 12/22/2014 at 5:28 PM, sweetm3 said:

Looking up her skirt

Under belly.jpg

Secondary air pump oil leak (gone now)

Emission Non-return valve.jpg

Rod bearings replaced and ARP bolts installed, the old shells had approx 100k on them but looked fine.

100kms rod bearings.jpg

Dismantled the oil pump, no sign off wear. :) 

Don't forget to pack it full with vaseline so it's primed if you don't it may not pick up the oil in the sump. Remove fuel pump fuse or remove coil pack so the car won't fire/start. 

Starting the car for the first time was the most terrifying part, turn the car over for 5-7 seconds approx 6-10 times and breath again :) when you see the oil pressure get to a safe level.(remembering I have an oil pressure gauge installed)   

Oil Pump.jpg

Lower chain tensioner wear, decided while it's open I'll replace it. while waiting for the new part to arrive.

oil chain tensioner.jpg

Below the old and the new, as well as the tool I made for removing and installing the clip shown. A piece of flat bar, shaped as you see to remove, slotted on top to install second picture down.

On the net the DIYs say that the front cover has to be removed. I did mine from underneath, it is tight up there. 

Here's the trick the metal springs/lever is actually two levers separate them and have a look. Put it back together, but.

Leave the low one out 60% but so it's still under the other.  Install the bracket on the pin and manipulate/slide the upper lever into place.  

Once the upper lever is in place you just have to push the second lever up and it's guided into place by the first lever...............  The will make sense I promise 

Oil Pump Tensioner.jpg

Clip holder.jpg

When you dismantled you oil pump did you wire the nut on or secure the nut other than torquing up?

Also did you install an oil pan baffle? Bimmerworld has one which I'm thinking of installing  https://www.bimmerworld.com/Oil-Pan-Baffle-E36-Z3-6-Cyl-All-M50-M52-S50-S52.html

And where did you get your rod bearings from?

cheers

22 minutes ago, Secniv said:

When you dismantled you oil pump did you wire the nut on or secure the nut other than torquing up?

Spot Weld 

Also did you install an oil pan baffle? Bimmerworld has one which I'm thinking of installing  https://www.bimmerworld.com/Oil-Pan-Baffle-E36-Z3-6-Cyl-All-M50-M52-S50-S52.html

Baffle recommended for S50B30, not required for a S50B32 ( my engine)

And where did you get your rod bearings from?

Sorry mate went through my folder ........ no idea ??

cheers

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 3:18 PM, sweetm3 said:

Hey Brad

Found the rear rotors on ebay, they were custom ordered from Reyland Motorsport for a E46 cost $280gbp.

But they recieve E36 ones. RM didn't want them back, so they were on EB for $140gbp + $20 for shipping.

Still have to install

Well went to install my ebay find, I removed rear passenger side after quite a bit of rust-off, and banging away.

Only to find they are E36 hubs but with E46 diameter 328mm............, so if anyone has a set of 996 porsche rear calipers lying round and Rallyroad brackets. 

Crap I'd need another cert ...........  ?

Edited by sweetm3

New Years project has arrived, (photo added)

On 11/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, sweetm3 said:

Only to find they are E36 hubs but with E46 diameter 328mm............, so if anyone has a set of 996 porsche rear calipers lying round and Rallyroad brackets. 

Gave them a de-grease, paint OK, clear coat not so.

Strip them

Paint : Gloss Black

New seals

New Cross over pipes, bleed nipples

RR brackets, are in transit. 

New Pads,  in transit

• Like 1

Couple of photos added and narrative.

M3an front lip splitters arrived Friday. Quickest shipment I've had from Thailand.

Plug for Ebay seller  gften 

Will return yours, at the next coffee meeting. Thanks mate

• Like 1

Mid way through the lock-down and I'm jealous of those with car projects underway.

I did a search of my garage and found 2 sets of  Bushes for the pedal supporting bracket.

Add these to my new black pedal set, I've gota project.

This project all going well should take 1-3 hrs, I stretched it out for 4 days :) :)   (more pictures added)

Slacker

Slacking (Medium).jpg

Edited by sweetm3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well the old C33 give up the ghost. Found myself a CD43 did my due diligence (ye right) installed radio sounds great. Played a single CD fine now for my CD changer...........

Wouldn't you know it, I have a M-Bus not the required I-Bus......  the old US model v Euro

So run a new I-Bus cable and up grade CD changer to match. Roughly $450-500  old school 

Or

Dension lite bt  verses  GROM su3 ........approx the same price   modernised 

What do think ?