Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Can you mate a 5hp30 with an M70?

I guess if I can ever afford to repaint the car, that would be the right time to do the engine swap... For now let's leave it as pie in the sky.

Easiest way to make all of this work is to transplant the electronics from a later model car into yours.

While it is entirely possible to build up a analogue to CAN signal transceiver it is a hell of a lot of work. The main reason is someone (me cause I don't know anyone else in NZ with the ability to do it) would have to dis-assemble the BMW EGS CAN frames and then protocol to understand what we were turning the analogue signals into. Then cross your fingers that all of the sensors and calculated values are in range for the receiver to accept it. This doesn't count for f**k ups that would require a s**t ton of road testing to get everything in alignment. I would then also say it would only be 70%.

As Michael said .. getting it all wired up and working is one thing.... mapping it all properly is where the time is.

The way car manufactures get it mapped out is by attaching a mother ton of extra sensors that capture any variance .. they then use that data to to 'smooth out' or in fill the gaps. That gets most of the heavy lifting done as far as tuning it, then the rest is tweaking.

• Like 1

In other words, can we get a m70 to run off a m73 DME? That way you can pair the EGS and DME with their CAN?

• Like 1

Easiest way to make all of this work is to transplant the electronics from a later model car into yours.

While it is entirely possible to build up a analogue to CAN signal transceiver it is a hell of a lot of work. The main reason is someone (me cause I don't know anyone else in NZ with the ability to do it) would have to dis-assemble the BMW EGS CAN frames and then protocol to understand what we were turning the analogue signals into. Then cross your fingers that all of the sensors and calculated values are in range for the receiver to accept it. This doesn't count for f**k ups that would require a s**t ton of road testing to get everything in alignment. I would then also say it would only be 70%.

As Michael said .. getting it all wired up and working is one thing.... mapping it all properly is where the time is.

The way car manufactures get it mapped out is by attaching a mother ton of extra sensors that capture any variance .. they then use that data to to 'smooth out' or in fill the gaps. That gets most of the heavy lifting done as far as tuning it, then the rest is tweaking.

Wolf (Wokke, not my son!) has found some literature on the 5hp30 that says only engine speed and the gear selection for the cluster display are transmitted via CANbus. That must make things simpler, right? Have asked him if he can share the doc.

I thought it would be more than engine speed and gear selection. I thought engine load would of at least been another (iirc, when I was doing princess's trans it used injection pulse width as load).

Cant remember what gearbox princess has, but there was only a couple of solenoids for gear selection, 1 for torque converter lockup and another for hydraulic pressure (in this case either on or off for low or high pressure, newer ones are PWM). Hydraulic pressure adjusts how hard it shifts.

Probably not as fiddly to do as Micheals was by the sounds of it, but there is still tuning to be done.

Seems like an awful lot of effort for not going to a manual!

• Like 2

Seems like an awful lot of effort for not going to a manual!

Was trying to find out if it's possible without it being an awful lot of effort!

Six speed would be fun but TBH I think a proper GT car should be an auto. I've heard the six speed versions are pretty notchy and hard work... Not what you want when your continent-busting! Although six speed on our roads would no doubt be a good option... If I can find one that'll fit (and I can afford).

Still think the 5hp30 with Dinan tune would be great with the M70 but probably easiest to do when I need a new engine as well.

Youd be best to import the manual gear from the USA, they seem to have the highest amount of 6spds.