Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 auto: Started car. Reverse gear didnt engage initially?

So last night, after I started the car and went from Park to reverse, nothing engaged. Then I put it back to park, and then to reverse again and it engaged fine. Then I tried all combinations of going from park to reverse, neutral to reverse etc., all worked fine. Did this later in the night as well after turning car off etc. and all worked fine.

Is this a symptom of something, that I should worry about? I think this has happened once before as well, ages ago, right after I started the car, but never replicated the problem. Hoping it's not the gearbox going bye bye.

Trans oil low ? after the accident. The trans may not have been topped up after the oil cooler was refitted

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 4

^ This. Almost definitely.

Trans oil low ? after the accident. The trans may not have been topped up after the oil cooler was refitted

Thanks, I'll get the level checked somewhere, wherever might be open during the holiday period. AutoTrans across the street from my place seemed to be closed today.

Does the E39 have a dipstick? I know our E46 doesn't, which makes things much more difficult.

Does the E39 have a dipstick? I know our E46 doesn't, which makes things much more difficult.

No dipstick

Just organised an AA recovery of an E39 today. Dropped its trans fluid & lost drive. Going to be an interesting inspection on the hoist next week...

Just organised an AA recovery of an E39 today. Dropped its trans fluid & lost drive. Going to be an interesting inspection on the hoist next week...

Next week! It's Wednesday!

Have you got something on...? ;-)

Seriously - I really feel for you. I've no doubt you get a lot of people telling you how important it is that their car is fixed - now.

Been driving a bit today and all seems well still, can't replicate the issue. Nevertheless, will need to check the level and top up however much is necessary.

If gearbox decides to fail one day (hopefully no time soon...), I'm gonna pull the one out of the 520i and chuck that in. That one is a fully rebuilt trans that's done about 6000kms. That, or manual :-)

Next week! It's Wednesday!

Have you got something on...? ;-)

Seriously - I really feel for you. I've no doubt you get a lot of people telling you how important it is that their car is fixed - now.

Na not mine. It was an AA job that I went out to. No drive at all so I had to organise recovery on a truck to the workshop.

Yep, will be next week before it even gets looked at to evaluate.

Owner is back in Auckland with another car - he's not in a hurry for it. Happy if its not looked at until the new year.

Will be interesting to see how many AA call outs i get tomorrow, last year was 5

i think after Glenns advise would only be right to take it to him to service.

• Like 2

Already talked to Glenn on the phone yesterday (like an hour after his post); he's closed over the break and recommended some places to me. Otherwise I'd have taken to him already!

Edited by Arma