Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

S50B30 headers

When using a set of S50 pipes on an E36 M5x, how much clearance is there between the steering linkage and the headers?

Thanks

If you're contemplating installing with the engine in the bay, it's very tight. Clearance once installed isn't too bad. What part of the shaft are you concerned about? The closest point is maybe 20mm? I could check in the morning if needed.

THIS IS THE MODIFICATION i DID TO OVERCOME THE SHORTAGE OF SPACE AS THE STEERING KNUCKLE AND THE HEADERS TOUCHED WHEN I FITTED THE M54 INTO THE THE E30. I HAVE ONE FOR SALE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. IT SAVES ABOUT 25MM IN OVERALL WIDTH.

post-5339-0-44532600-1419449500_thumb.jp

I better mention I did have M3 headers on my M54

• Like 1

If you're contemplating installing with the engine in the bay, it's very tight. Clearance once installed isn't too bad. What part of the shaft are you concerned about? The closest point is maybe 20mm? I could check in the morning if needed.

If you can eyeball it and give me an idea how much clearance there is along the full linkage that would be a lifesaver!

If you could also give me a guesstimate of how big the gap between #1 runner and the block where the runner meets the merge pipe would be a huge help too :)

So it's not too tight (or not like I remembered it being) I installed them with the engine in place & happened to have the steering rack out at the same time so it made it lots easier. Closest point is probably the headers from cylinders 2 & 3, but even then you've got a good 20-30mm +

Photos 1, 2 & 3 attempt to show how much room you have between the firewall and cylinder 1.

Should've put a ruler in there or something, can take more pics if you need?

No worries. If you need some photos with a scale in there just say.

No worries. If you need some photos with a scale in there just say.

Just an estimate of the gap between runner #6 & firewall should be the last bit of info I need. Would probably make my life infinitely easier if I could find a full set to borrow to use as a template. Reckon my chances of that are pretty slim though.

Thumbs up Connor, thanks!

Just measured, about 20mm it's pretty tight in there but I got it best I could with the tape measure. Also measured the closest distance to the steering column & that's also right on 20mm. Yeah sorry if I got the cylinder numbers mixed up, I was counting away from the firewall.

Good luck, what's the engine?