Sign in to follow this  
KyleK

E46 320i Muffler

Hi, I'm a new owner of E46 320i

I really like the sound of the straight 6, and i want it to be a little louder and make it sound more alive.

so far from research, i have seen a few people talk about muffler delete and straight piping.

Is this legal ? and if so do you need cert for it ?

if its not legal, where would i be able to get a muffler to make it sound better ?

Thanks guys

Hi, I'm a new owner of E46 320i

I really like the sound of the straight 6, and i want it to be a little louder and make it sound more alive.

so far from research, i have seen a few people talk about muffler delete and straight piping.

Is this legal ? and if so do you need cert for it ?

if its not legal, where would i be able to get a muffler to make it sound better ?

Thanks guys

Hey Kyle, owner of the same car here!

No cert necessary, however it could fail the wof for a noisey exhaust (the limits are a bit down the page), which I'm sure a straight pipe might cause you a bit of trouble with!

There are some kits out there, check E46fanatics for people who have bought decent setups but they do run you quite a bit of cash, especially trying to get them over here etc etc

Personally I've kept mine standard, between the automatic gearbox and its gutless moments I think the rasp can on the end of it does just fine for those moments when I want to be heard, but if you do go ahead and do it, I'm keen to see how it works out!

Hey Kyle, owner of the same car here!

No cert necessary, however it could fail the wof for a noisey exhaust (the limits are a bit down the page), which I'm sure a straight pipe might cause you a bit of trouble with!

There are some kits out there, check E46fanatics for people who have bought decent setups but they do run you quite a bit of cash, especially trying to get them over here etc etc

Personally I've kept mine standard, between the automatic gearbox and its gutless moments I think the rasp can on the end of it does just fine for those moments when I want to be heard, but if you do go ahead and do it, I'm keen to see how it works out!

Hey :)

I visited a local exhaust shop / garage today and asked the mechanic about muffler delete.

He said if i get rid of the rear muffler it will sound like a tractor and cops will green sticker it, which means

I will need to put it back to standard muffler and get a noise cert as well which is $250...

Bugger.. but I don't want to get a green sticker on my car haha.

He quoted me around $280 for a new muffler installed that will make it a little noiser than it is stock.

He said it is harder as it is twin pipe exhaust. I am considering either spending my cash on muffler

or saving up for after market rims later on in the year. I am only a student so I only have a certain budget :/

But yeah, if i do get the muffler done I will post about it :)

Cheers

Have you thought about gutting the cat/cats?