Sign in to follow this  
earon

Opinions on E60 M5

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post a curious question Mike (user name:Michael. who built the v8 e36) and I were discussing. This forum has a lot of information on various M cars and great expertise (even biased at times haha) but what's the take on the E60 M5?

Had two on separate occasions e60 m5's in the family say 5-7 years ago (and it's quite a while ago now) however I saw one the other day and it went past like a missile and although it took a few seconds right before it started truly motoring but once it probably got to over or near 3500-4000 rpms it went past like not much else on the road and it got me thinking about the car. (not much on the road lives with the M engines once they truly start motoring in terms of sound and feel not straight HP putting aside 'supercars' of course)

What's the take on it? LCI or not? Asking for problems? Would it be something even more amazing with the Evolve Stage 3 tune plus long tube headers and exhaust (possible 580hp)? Would you spend your hard earned $$ on it?

Thanks guys... it's just an exploratory question, hopefully owners could chime in with experience as well.

Also I would like a proper modern four door car and was thinking of adding an LCI edition to the stable hence the curiosity (I've also thought of just being patient sell the M3 CS in 2016 and maybe just buying the F10 M5 next year, but I don't do patient very well :( haha )

Edited by DSCOFF

Have a look at what Daveo said about his in the projects area of the forum. Have a dig for it.

He ended up replacing it with an E63 AMG and never looked back.

• Like 1

It's car that only really seems comfortable going 7/10th's +. It's not at all happy pootling around town ( nor is the fuel consumption ).

As with most of theses cars that you can pick up for cheap, you have to remember it was once a $200k+, high tech, flagship car, so expect repair bills to reflect that msrp.

Have a look at what Daveo said about his in the projects area of the forum.  Have a dig for it.

He ended up replacing it with an E63 AMG and never looked back.

Thanks for that.. I'll have a read of it

It's car that only really seems comfortable going 7/10th's +. It's not at all happy pootling around town ( nor is the fuel consumption ).

As with most of theses cars that you can pick up for cheap, you have to remember it was once a $200k+, high tech, flagship car, so expect repair bills to reflect that msrp.

That's quite true, they're made to be run at 7/10ths+ or so hence the unhappy pootling around town.

Guess the newer F10 represents a rather different if not better choice?

That's quite true, they're made to be run at 7/10ths+ or so hence the unhappy pootling around town.

Guess the newer F10 represents a rather different if not better choice?

You'd have to say it's a better all round car, but there's something alluring about mashing the pedal on the V10 and peeling out from a stop...

• Like 1

You'd have to say it's a better all round car, but there's something alluring about mashing the pedal on the V10 and peeling out from a stop...

Absolutely!

Ray or someone here just needs to 'shove' that v10 in an e46 m3 and call it a day haha.

Go for the 550, save you an arm and leg on gas and repairs, still goes like a cut cat. Great 4 dr express

Go for the 550, save you an arm and leg on gas and repairs, still goes like a cut cat. Great 4 dr express

Thanks..Will definitely look at that more seriously.

I see the 535d also has massive potential while remaining fuel efficient and fairly reasonable.

Though I've had M cars before and not adverse to the respective bills that come with it.

• Like 1

If you want to go faster get and m5. If you want to drive back roads, stick with the m3. Maybe send it to ray for some fettling,

Never driven an E60 M5 but know plenty of owners and they all love the car 25% of the time (when they can go balls out on the track or some quiet twisties) and hate it the rest of the time when they're driving uncomfortably and massively uneconomically around town.

If it's a weekend weapon they're a bargain, I reckon... For daily use, a massive and expensive PITA.

For all round use it's successor and predecessor, F10 and E39 respectively - both of which I have driven - would be a much better bet.

That engine though.... deserves to be in something a lot lighter

fixed

• Like 2

If you want an all rounder with great economy I recommend the 530D or 535D.

They really do haul ass. I can get over 1100kms on one tank on the open road. Cost $1.05per liter and Rego is being cut quite a bit in July.

Beating E39 540's onto the motorway is always a laugh.

Most of them are high spec too. Perfect weekend getaway car.

Even towing an E30 on a heavy car trailer from Wellington I still got 10L/100kms.

If you want to go faster get and m5.  If  you want to drive back roads, stick with the m3. Maybe send it to ray for some fettling,

I could probably have both at current prices :) (though that would be massively silly and I'd probably get put in a straight jacket for it)..though that's where the sense of me shutting up, selling the m3 later in 2015 and possibly buying an f10 version next year prevails.
  • Like 1

If you want an all rounder with great economy I recommend the 530D or 535D.

They really do haul ass.  I can get over 1100kms on one tank on the open road.  Cost $1.05per liter and Rego is being cut quite a bit in July.

Beating E39 540's onto the motorway is always a laugh.

Most of them are high spec too.  Perfect weekend getaway car.

Even towing an E30 on a heavy car trailer from Wellington I still got 10L/100kms.

535d...massive drool..:wub: haha, they've got some insane tuning kits too.

1100kms! :o :o ..I need something stronger than coffee after reading that

Never driven an E60 M5 but know plenty of owners and they all love the car 25% of the time (when they can go balls out on the track or some quiet twisties) and hate it the rest of the time when they're driving uncomfortably and massively uneconomically around town.

If it's a weekend weapon they're a bargain, I reckon... For daily use, a massive and expensive PITA.

For all round use it's successor and predecessor, F10 and E39 respectively - both of which I have driven - would be a much better bet.

I think you're right on the money with that jules..I've always envied those mint e39 m5s that show up at the meets, such nice cars!

There was a reason the two previous m5s didn't stay in the family long (but again that was back in 2006..2007).

^ have a friend who works here if anyone is interested in that alpina. can put in a good word :)