Sign in to follow this  
m3Dakar

e36 m3 Sedan Regretfully selling

I too wish you well with the sale but you just can't bugger around with vehicle geometry or install suspension mods and expect a buyer to stump up with big cash - the risks are too great unless they know the car. The first question most insurers ask is usually about non-factory modifications and unless re-certified the mods you describe would void insurance in a major crash. A serious buyer for that cash would want to know if the mods are certified so you need to state that up front if you want that kind of cash. Nice looking car though and the km's are a definite selling point.

unless the suspension is adjustable or the car is under 100mm off the road it wont need to be certified. I dont see any modification there that would cause issue.

Under normal circumstances you are absolutely correct, ie. meets Section 4 of LVV suspension requirements. However the point I was trying to make is there are dozens and dozens of 'must and must nots' in that standard that a buyer cannot be 100% sure about, and this presents risk when looking at paying top dollar for an older modified car.

Below is an example from the suspension standard for what I'm trying to say. It's all very well to say the mods meet Section 4 but what about the rest of these requirements that a buyer may only find out about when an insurance assessor finds a problem and wiggles out of paying up.

If someone wants absolute top dollar for a classic car it usually pays to return it to stock or have it LVV certified for a few hundred bucks to give a potential buyer peace of mind that all is well with the mods.

Geometry
2.3(7) Moving components and systems fitted to low volume vehicles
which are affected by suspension travel, must not be
detrimentally affected at extremes of suspension travel by
exceeding the operating limits specified by the equipment
manufacturer, including:
(a) binding or excessive angularity of ball-joints, swivel-joints
or constant velocity-joints; or
(B) binding or excessive angularity of steering arms or tie rod
ends; or
© binding or shortening the normal working life of driveshaft
universals.
2.3(8) Low volume vehicles which have undergone significant changes
to the suspension system must feature no abnormal suspension
geometry, and be aligned so as to provide satisfactory handling
characteristics, and ensure against excessively shortened tyre life.
2.3(9) Wheel-rims fitted to modified production low volume vehicles
which retain the vehicle manufacturer’s original wheel hub
assemblies must not have the wheel-rim centre offset by any
more than 20% of the total wheel-rim width.
Springs
2.3(10) Springs and shock-absorbers fitted to low volume vehicles must
be: LVVTA Low Volume Vehicle Standard 195-00(00) (Suspension Systems) Page 7 of 12
© Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (Inc.) 1 December 2000
(a) of a size and rate which is appropriate for the weight and
intended use of the vehicle to which they are fitted; and
(B) in the case of coil springs, of a sufficient rate so as not to
fully compress upon full suspension travel.
Heavy-duty and height-changing coil springs
2.3(11) Low volume vehicles fitted with coil springs must:
(a) be fitted with shock absorbers which are able to
satisfactorily control spring energy; and
(B) where a substantial increase in spring rate occurs, be
reinforced as necessary in the areas of the body or chassis
or sub-frame structure on which the increased loads being
transmitted are likely to cause fracturing or failure.
2.3(12) Coil springs fitted to low volume vehicles that reduce the
suspension travel and, as a result, the ride height of the vehicle,
must be proportionately increased in stiffness rate so as to ensure
against contact between the underside of the vehicle and the road
surface during normal vehicle operation when fully laden.
2.3(13) Coil springs fitted to low volume vehicles must be designed in
such a way that the ends of the springs, whether of a plain, plain
and ground, closed, or closed and ground configuration, are
shaped to match the surfaces against which they seat, both top
and bottom.

Fair enough...good luck with your sale OP.

Price (if negotiable) doesn't seem too outrageous to me for a four door M3 with sub 60K kms. Can't be many M3s with kms as low as that and even fewer with four doors. Looks a fantastic car! GLWS.

• Like 1

Good luck with the sale, fantastic looking car, was looking at the other one just last night.

Saving for the latest model myself, 4-door M3 is the answer to most questions.

• Like 1

When I first saw this I actually thought .. sh*t that's cheap. Especially when you consider other sellers are asking $15-16K for one with triple the km and far less tidy condition.

I don't know maybe I just don't know E36 M3s that well.

Edited by M3_Power

Tom, you don't need to know cars around here, you simply make hatter negative comments and pooh pooh what someone is asking for their car before going on to make negative comments on the car and generally wrecking the thread.

Welcome to BS, let us tell you why you are wrong and we are experts.

This looks to me a mint car for the money, in the Hero colour, the E36 is appreciating, if looked after this car will not depreciate.

Again, good luck with the sale M3Dakar :)

• Like 4

As the second NZ owner of this 'RareM3' I can vouch for its condition and rarity. All the best with the sale and think that what you're asking is fair, Cheers.

I got 16k for my (admittedly very tidy) 3.0 M3 with 160k on the clock. I don't think he's asking too much. That said, you'll of course need to find the right buyer!

lets not forget that $21000 is his "Trademe" asking price which means that he will get some offers in the $15-16k mark but if a serious buyer turned up it would probably negotiated to something like $19-20k which is probably what the owner is after (im assuming).

if he had put his actual buy now price he would be getting offers like 10k so i think its best not to take trademe listing prices too seriously.

anyways glws it looks friggin awesome

You werent an active buyer anyway Ron, so no one cares.

• Like 2

Relisted: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-870746696.htm

I'm afraid the following comment does not inspire confidence, why is it necessary?

it was necessary because 99.9% of people a lot of them on these forums have far from realistic expectations of such vehicles and if you don't say it has such wear and tear people tend to think its some form of bargaining tool. It is hand on heart the most complete near perfect example i have seen in NZ and i challenge anyone to show me better

it was necessary because 99.9% of people a lot of them on these forums have far from realistic expectations of such vehicles and if you don't say it has such wear and tear people tend to think its some form of bargaining tool. It is hand on heart the most complete near perfect example i have seen in NZ and i challenge anyone to show me better

That's cool - perhaps you're unaware that "as is, where is" has specific legal implications that transfers all risk to the buyer. This would typically mean the price was substantially reduced.

The way it's written it sounds like you've thrashed it, know it has problems and want to dump those problems on somebody else. Based on your post above this was not your intention and on that basis I'd just choose different words.

Edited by M3AN

holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

• Like 4

Are comments on the price and worthiness of the part or vehicle here in the for sale section really necessary?

This guy in good faith lists his car and gets nothing but grief for it.

This is not conducive to a proactive and inviting forum......having received "irregular" comments on my recent for sale listing I don't get it....

Certainly makes me think the OP, like me, would think twice about posting anything for sale but basic parts here again and that is a pity for what is overall a good forum.

OP good luck with the sale, for your own (and my future) benefit, I hope you achieve top dollar for your Dakar e36 M3 :)

• Like 2

^ Check the dates on the posts. Old thread.

But yes, if enthusiasts and experts disagree with the price or description then they should voice that politely. It can only help the seller make a better pitch and therefore quicker sale.

I did notice the dates and should have said I hope you "achieved"... :)

Wonder if it sold and for what sort of money......I am impatiently waitng to see e36 m3's start to appreciate!

One wouldn't think they could get much lower in price than some of the older, higher km ones have gone for lately.

i think youre pushing crap up hill for them to go up by much, especially when the price of the 46 is coming down slowly and they are a far superior car.

(and this is coming from an ex E36 M3 owner, and a huge E36 fan)

i think youre pushing crap up hill for them to go up by much, especially when the price of the 46 is coming down slowly and they are a far superior car.

They're not "far superior" and let's not make it a big debate! By a lot of measures the E46 is certainly better but if you're looking for driving experience and lap times then they're hardly separable, many will prefer the E36.

The E36 M3 might become a classic, the E46 probably won't.

Edited by M3AN

lets face it, the E36 is the redhead stepchild of the M3 range.... itll only be survived by a few dedicated collectors, and wont be a car people swoon over like the E30. Im all for as many original ones surviving as possible, but they just arent as loved as any other M3 in the lineup.

The E30 is the one people lust over, the E46 is the one people want to drive, and the newer ones are less fun:dollar ratio. The E36 is the one people buy either because they specifically want one, or its the only one they can afford.

Anyway, just my opinion.

• Like 2

Everyone has a different opinion.

Mine being the level of desirability is in proportion to that of the year of manufacture. The older the better.

• Like 1

I agre with the age thing PLUS, the e46 and on are cars that are moving rapidly away from the home mechanic.

As such, while I could choose to buy an e46 m3 or later, I choose not to.

So i would disagree on the ugly step child thing..

I have also now been sucked in to derailing a for sale thread further (my original point) so my bad, sorry about that! :(