Sign in to follow this  
zache30

E39 4:3 Aftermarket stereo swap

Hey Team,

I want to swap my 4:3 headunit to an aftermarket one (screen has lines, No Radio, Want handsfree etc). Problem comes as there is no adapter for the 2xskinny plugs and i don't like hacking into the harness so i was thinking if i get a stereo harness from a wrecker with the big square plug (the one they do make an adapter for) could i run this through the car and it hook up to factory amp etc and appear factory and work with my aftermarket headunit.

HELP ME PLEASE

• Like 1

Try metra for the harness and faceplate. I'm not sure if the e39 amp will accept standard rca unbalanced feeds so you made need a unbalanced to balanced output adapters.

Others may be able to coment.

Metra harness ,

http://www.metraonline.com/vfg

Yeas metra only have harnesses for the big single plug with round pins

Some of the connectors are made by tyco. Can you post a pic ?

is it the full stereo with navigation etc.....? because you will have to buy a loom that goes from the control unit in the boot to the front to allow you to plug a headunit in, as the large square plug is in the boot. you will need to also get a factory stereo surround for a single din unit to allow for mounting the unit, a pain in the ass process that i slowly figured out upgrading my system

The factory amp and headunit is crap by todays standards.

I installed an Alpine amp to replace the factory one using the speaker level inputs.

It improved it over stock, but was still average, I installed a Parrot MKI9100 System and use that with the Alpine amp, does USB, Bluetooth, etc.

Sound quality is now a lot better.

The factory headunit is still installed and functional, I just don't use it, as the Parrot system is quite discreet.

I used the factory amp in stereo rather then mono, wasn't too bad. But you might have some problems trying to wire up the single din plug to the double din 2 smaller plugs. as the wiring for the 4:3 runs to the gear rather then then the actual front unit. Ive got some wiring diagrams on what I did for my ute. Upgraded from the 4:3 business unit to an aftermarket touch screen. Might save you a few hours of head scratching for power iBus speakers etc...

Francois that'd be great Iv got a fascia plat and all the other gear just need to sus this wIrving I'm open to the idea of a new amp as I have a spare one. Just need to sis wiring

Francois that'd be great Iv got a fascia plat and all the other gear just need to sus this wIrving I'm open to the idea of a new amp as I have a spare one. Just need to sis wiring

No worries, Ill get some details together. If you want, send me the details of what you have already (head unit and other gear) and ill see if I can add it into the diagrams. 021 302 485 or muted.nz@gmail.com

Also checkout Technic harnesses if going after market amp. Allows you to use the factory speaker harness at the amplifier end. Don't forget to power the rear window aerial amplifier if removing the factory tuner module ( white wire)

The guy is on many forums so it's a matter of contacting him. I suspect he doesn't have a web site to avoid legal issues with BMW. Unlike many of the BMW connectors the amplifier connector is " BMW exclusive use" from the OEM supplier. Hence why you don't see aftermarket speaker wiring adapters.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/89574-bmw-1-3-series-hifi-system-harness.html