Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

to Black Grill or to Not Black Grill...

I did it on my e36 (it was black) but not to my e46 (it was silver) and the 2002 e39 530i I am picking up next week is silver also.

What are peoples feelings on the black grill dealie?

Obviously it will give me +5 HP :P

This is a personnel thing It depends on what look you wish to have or who you are trying to impress

1. blackened grills etc gangster sinister look

2. chrome grills I'm a BMW prestige etc

But as they have become so common not body gives a hoot as you go past. Just my opinion for what it's worth

I think there are better things to do with your time on a car.

Spend 30mins - 60 mins cleaning the wheels!

• Like 1

I think there are better things to do with your time on a car.

Spend 30mins - 60 mins cleaning the wheels!

hehe agreed - i'm a real stickler for clean mags. The car has BBS style ones, so will be out with the electric toothbrush at the weekends :P

no dont plastidip or paint. first stone to hit will leave horrble silver marks and look cheap.

buy proper black grills or don't bother I say.

• Like 1

no dont plastidip or paint. first stone to hit will leave horrble silver marks and look cheap.

Used Kill Rust Satin Black Enamel on mine a year ago. They got their first chip 4 weeks ago, and were pulled off and tidied up immediately. And i do 120km open road driving a day...

Okay, before i blacked my grills out i thought it was too common and to buy a new black set of grills for around $100 was a bit too much.

But as already recommended up there, I saw plastidip, was pretty amazed at how it can peel off later if I didn't like it

So i went with it, got a can of black plastidip from Repco for $28. Spend about 2 to 3 hours in my garage and it looks amazing.

I was pretty familiar with spray cans so i was able to achieve a perfect job on the grills, i put them back on and it really gives it the slick look.

I recommend you spending around 30 dollars and a few hours of your time, and if you don't like it or get sick of it, you can just peel it off.

Also, i disagree with "first stone to hit will leave horrible silver marks and looks cheap"

It doesn't look cheap at all, it has a nice matte finish and its extremely durable.

My mates have had plastidip on their grills for over a year and not a single chip.

Just thought i might write this, good way to change the look of your car in a subtle way, and definitely cheaper than buying new set of grills.

I painted my grill black over a year ago and haven't had any issues with stone chips. They have started to fade from using cheap paint though. Going to go with plastidip next time.

I'm likely gonna grab some matte black ebay grills. Cheap enough that if they are terrible finish wise, i'll just spray em black with an no gloss enamel paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Black-Wide-Kidney-Grille-Grill-For-BMW-E39-525-528-530-535-M5-1997-2003-/261432946114?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cde9e2dc2&vxp=mtr

Also, does it make me too ricey/5+HP if I get a set of these as well? LOL - They look amazballs http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=832702451

Also, does it make me too ricey/5+HP if I get a set of these as well? LOL - They look amazballs http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=832702451

Yes.

you asked :lol: .

Seriously though - they'll probably look cheap/nasty/ghey in real life:

00-540-taillight-smoke-2.jpg

$300+ can probably be spend on something that's poked: Cooling, suspension, cup holders, headlights, Vanos etc

• Like 2

Yes.

you asked :lol: .

Seriously though - they'll probably look cheap/nasty/ghey in real life:

00-540-taillight-smoke-2.jpg

$300+ can probably be spend on something that's poked: Cooling, suspension, cup holders, headlights, Vanos etc

Mmm true,

I've already ordered new cup holders :P LOL...

Might spend it on a full-kahuna groom and leather conditioning job,

• Like 1

Also, i disagree with "first stone to hit will leave horrible silver marks and looks cheap"

It doesn't look cheap at all, it has a nice matte finish and its extremely durable.

My mates have had plastidip on their grills for over a year and not a single chip.

hi kyle - i was just providing personal experience.

I painted mine, looked great.

first time I hit the open road when i arrived at my destination the grills were all chipped up and looked gawd awful.

bought a proper pair online for $100. never looked back.

yes you can paint them, yes they will look fine. but you will need to repair whenever you get sprayed with gravel on NZ's open road. Which is often in my experience

or is it just me?

do I just follow cars too close?? :)

Edited by M5V8
  • Like 1

Personally I can't stand the rubbery plasti dip finish. If you want black grilles and BMW didn't offer an OE black grille (which they didn't for E46 or E39) then for best fitment and finish get an OE set of chrome grilles, sand off the chrome and paint properly with black enamel and clear coat. Those cheap eBay ones generally don't fit very well (I know this from experience).

I did it on my e36 (it was black) but not to my e46 (it was silver) and the 2002 e39 530i I am picking up next week is silver also.

What are peoples feelings on the black grill dealie?

Obviously it will give me +5 HP :P

OP YOU LIVE IN WELLINGTON>NO EL RECOMMENDAY

but seriously if you have a nice UN-WINDY place to do it and can be bothered with all the fiddling. i did my window chrome today, am going to just buy a $50 matte grill off e-bay and save my life due to all the stress those caused me today lmao

• Like 1

hi kyle - i was just providing personal experience.

I painted mine, looked great.

first time I hit the open road when i arrived at my destination the grills were all chipped up and looked gawd awful.

bought a proper pair online for $100. never looked back.

yes you can paint them, yes they will look fine. but you will need to repair whenever you get sprayed with gravel on NZ's open road. Which is often in my experience

or is it just me?

do I just follow cars too close?? :)

I painted the ones on my e36 - they chipped to bits on the first palmy to wanganui drive I did. Never bothered to change the ones on my e46 though.