Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Motor Oil Pricing

So we all know that petrol prices are on the down at the moment. But Ive been looking around at retail packs for oil and 5ltr Castrol 10w-60 is still $99 and not budging. Surely this price drop on barrles should be reflected in other oil products ?

Other consumer markets are already talking about dropping the cost of goods (EG plastics).

Is it just too early yet?

Yip, may take a couple of months before significant movement I would think, time it flows through the supply chain and SOH etc. sells through. Product is more likely to be a fixed finished good price in market then perhaps a commodity such as Petrol as well :(

I feel your pain! Just wait till it's on special since even at trade is only $2 cheaper. Which isn't very often I've noticed :(

For such reasons I find it beneficial to run my used oil through coffee filter paper and reuse it for another 5,000kms.

• Like 3

How much crude/petrochemicals are used to make 4l of synthetic oil??

If its 10 litres then the input cost has fallen by no more than $4 with oil having halved in value.

Probably not worth passing on - in fact its impossible to do so if the company has hedged that exposure.

• Like 2

Jesus, what are you running that's $100 for 5l? I buy mine in 20l drums for that much

• Like 2

Try to follow the specials. Repco will do from times to times special deals. But you are right. Their margins are too high.

• Like 1

For such reasons I find it beneficial to run my used oil through coffee filter paper and reuse it for another 5,000kms.

It makes the coffee taste better for one thing!

• Like 1

Jesus, what are you running that's $100 for 5l? I buy mine in 20l drums for that much

Castrol edge or tws 10/60 as specified for the s50, aka M tax

he told you already

he told you already

yeah, castrol 10w-60. thought there might of been more than one type. but whatever.

^^^^^^ Ditto but i probably have 20l of Magnatec from Repco's sporadic $25 deals. Considering its nearly 3 containers to change oil in both cars...

Oh, & I got a 20l drum the other day for the race car, only cause I couldn't get the grade in 5l containers. That said - it is much more economical.

Anyone know the shelf life for mineral and/or synthetic oil?

I suspect they (or the additives) break down over time, I just have no idea how long.

Good for at least 5 years, provided it's in the original, sealed containers. Heat from sunlight won't affect it (sunlight is more likely to damage the container) although extreme cold might.

• Like 2

SCA usually knock $20 off the 10w60sn flavour. Cheapest i've bought it was from repco @ $75. Note this is not the 'official' oil but it's damn close - Tom obtained the specs for it in a thread I started comparing it to tws.

Saw the email haha. But said it was 99.99 but don't know if that was listed price or with 25% off since if usually is about that.spose that's the good thing with the sca club card. Doesn't matter if it's not on special when you by it, will get reimbursed when it is

the $99.99 is retail. so today $75

Problem with good oils are they are full synthetic.

so crude oil cost doesnt affect them too much as they dont use alot of it. (apparently almost as much oil is used to make the bottle as the product.)

a huge chunk of that price is shipping and tax due to it being a dangerous goods item.

then with items like edge which sells small quantity vs everyday oil you are paying a big chunk into their sponsorship deals on everything from drift cars to the v8 supercars. and tv ads,

plus research and development, plus paying for testing everytime a manufacturer comes out with a new standard to advertise on the bottle. ( dpf safe and GF5 fuel saver ratings pop to mind)

Also the price of oil is creeping up but it doesnt take a big jump every time the oil price goes up. just a little bit every year like the rest of the stuff on sale.

and speaking as someone who works with the stuff i can guarantee you the margins for that oil are razor slim. retailers will make more out of your $15 filter than the $99 oil.

so buy it when its 25% off as thats well below cost.

Troy starting to think about buying bulk. Down side is the e30 needs 10w60 castrol edge sport else you end up with a tractor sound with the wrong oil from the vanos. The 540 is happy on 5w30 castrol however.

You guys should try getting ll01 or. Ll04 from the dealer,i uswd to take in two 4 l containers and buy 6 l for the e 34 I swear it was cheaper than repco etc

Troy starting to think about buying bulk. Down side is the e30 needs 10w60 castrol edge sport else you end up with a tractor sound with the wrong oil from the vanos. The 540 is happy on 5w30 castrol however.

Does it have to be castrol sport edge, or could other brands of synthetic 10w60 work?