Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

North Island Roads

As the title suggests, I am after some good North Island Roads preferably within a few hours from Auckland or ToePaw.

In the planning stages of the ECC next event, and we are moving away from a meet and greet scenario to a Weekend 'driveaway' as such. I feel it could bring out the true enthusiasts which would hopefully tag along.

I have travelled some of the roads around but never felt I took notice of the good ones, so I ask my fellow Bimmersporties if they don't mind sharing some fantastic routes around NI that they feel were worth the drive.

Also some nice stop over/camping locations you may have been too. It's easy enough to say, cruise to ToePaw, stay there and drive back but I feel Bothering the minds of some of you wise fellas for more desirable places would be good ;)

The gentle Annies is a great road from Toepaw but might be a bit rough for some of the low brigade...

Leave AKL SH1, left at Bombay out to Miranda, across the Hauraki Planes to Whangamata, through to Waihi Beach (great camping spot) down to Taupo via Pyes Pa and Rotorua. https://goo.gl/maps/LNxFb

Its about 400km but some great sections of driving road, Bombay to Miranda, Kopu to Whanagamata, Whangamata to Waihi, Pyes Pa to Ngongotaha.

I've driven it regularly whilst on a projects in Auckland and Taupo (staying overnight at home in Whanagamata, but unfortunately moved closer to AKL).

• Like 1

Ohinewai exit past Rangirere, through Tahuna to Morrinsville, through Kiwitahi way inside Matamata cutting across to SH27 before Tirau is a good bunch of roads from open flowing to some twister tight stuff.

find any targa route map. they spend months researching the best roads.

• Like 1

definately this.

some gentle stuff first so you can work out the competence of the drivers before and after you would be good too.........

Akl - Ngaruwahia - Te Awamutu (via SH37) - Mangakino - Whakamaru - Turangi (via Western side of lake SH32) then cruise to Taupo up SH1. Or back up to Alk thru Taumaranui - Te Kuiti.

Good piece of road, done it many a time on the motorbikes quickest is just under 1hr 20min Z Te Awamutu - Z Turangi with fuel stop in Whakamaru. Just watch out for Fonterra tankers and the odd stock truck pulling outa/into driveways. .

Coro loop is good but forget about it if its a long weekend, or even any weekend with decent weather as the roads are packed.

Rotorua - Whakatane - Gisborne return is also good have an over nighter in Gisborne.

Edited by coop

Sounds like a great idea.

The key will be to find B roads, that are like C roads, away from any weekend traffic that would just ruin it.

On the last gumboot rally I went on there were some great roads on part of the route. Christian with his M3 and myself in the E36 V8 had a great time :D

Targa roads are horrible, stick to SH1. :ph34r:

To Taupo I can think of a few good routs, as said, if you want to go camping, the Coromandel route would work best.

Let us know when the drive is, I don't follow the page on FB anymore but would be keen to go for a drive and have a bit of a yarn/piss up/camping with some GC's.

• Like 1

Targa roads are horrible, stick to SH1. :ph34r:

To Taupo I can think of a few good routs, as said, if you want to go camping, the Coromandel route would work best.

Let us know when the drive is, I don't follow the page on FB anymore but would be keen to go for a drive and have a bit of a yarn/piss up/camping with some GC's.

Get Kevin in with his holden opel thing, he was a good bastard. deleted all the holden badges yet?

Ha, Kev sold that thing years ago, he has a HSV Clubsport RS Manual now, cool car. good guy.

Keen on a mission though, will give me motivation to fix my car / life. haha

Ha, Kev sold that thing years ago, he has a HSV Clubsport RS Manual now, cool car. good guy.

Keen on a mission though, will give me motivation to fix my car / life. haha

Don't think opel did a version of that but Vauxhall did lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_