Sign in to follow this  
Young Thrash Driver

Children and rear airbags

I have an E39 530i facelift, and our first kid is on the way (Woohoo!). I had a thought about child seats and rear side airbags not going too well together, so I looked in the manual. BMWs advise is to visit the dealer and get these airbags disabled.

Knowing the E39 is used by many parents, I thought Id ask- what have you done to get around this prroblem?

I'm sure it becomes an attractive option when they become toddlers... but seriously, would an acceptable workaround be to just get in there and disconnect the airbags?

Assuming of course that unlike some US cars made in 02, they are live at all...

Edited by Kopua Cowboy

probably just some coding that needs to be played with? probably better to do that so they can be turned back on later, also not sure if it would happen but if the coding is left "activated" and the airbag is physically unplugged it may throw airbag codes on the dash = failed WOF

they are not that big of a airbag , don't come out that far.

BMW wouldn't make something dangerous like that, I personally wouldn't worry at all about it. Front airbags come out a lot further than side ones which is why you don't put kids in front seats I guess.

We dont have the dilemma of rear airbags of the wife's car but was reading about Vovlo that recommended disabling the side airbags next to the capsule. They even have window stickers as a reminder as to which air bags have been disabled.

Really comes down to the seat design in my opinion. My daughters car seat would protect her from a side airbag going off.