Sign in to follow this  
Roger Dodger

Run Flat Tyres and car insurance

I recently bought a BMW 2009 320d that is fitted with runflats. The car has very low mileage and still has original tyres that will require replacement in the next 6 to 9 months. The tyres do not suit the car, they demean the quality feel of the car. I had intended to replace the run flats with conventional tyres and have spent some weeks researching if I can install conventional or am stuck with runflats. One of the reasons for the uncertaincy is being told by two tyre shops is that the suspension is set-up for runflats and replacing with conventional tyres would affect the handling. I have discussed this aspect with BMW trying to discover what are the suspension changes between cars with runflat and those cars with conventional tyres. BMW will not disclose what the differences are, this is probably due to their insistance that runflats should be retained. BMW will not be drawn if a new car were to be changed from runflat to conventional before handing the car to the purchaser. I understand BMW gave purchasers of new cars the option of conventional tyres when the car was bought. BMW should be pressed further on this issue.

TYre installers advised that changes to the tyre type could affect the insurance of the car since conventional tyres could be seen as modifications to the car. This would/could prove to be an issue if the car was involved in an accident and the car lost control. If only rear or front wheels were changed from runflat to conventional tyres this could be considered as a dangerous change to the cars suspension.

Huh? I have an E90 that runs conventional tyres with no suspension or setup changes. What are they smoking?

I wouldn't recommend only changing 2 tyres if you went that way, but the std runflat rims should be fine with normal tyres (mine were until I changed to a BBS wheel set). What i would recommend is a mobility kit (compressor & can of goo) in case you do get a puncture.

Run flats are sh*t (my car was crazy lose on them) and cost more. I changed to normal tyres and got more grip, quieter and apparently long life...should be no issues with insurance and both the BMW dealer I know personally recommended normal tyres over run flats for the above reason.

Oh, bmw sold me a flat tyre kit for $150 in case I got a flat.

you will have to change all four tyres at once and make sure you advise the insurance company you have done so.BMWNZ probably dont know the difference in suspension if indeed there is any.

Its funny people perception isnt it.My 120d was a like a car on rails with the run flats,the trouble is it had a ride like a vehicle on rails too!Dunno about the option of runflats .Might be true in bigger markets.If it is possible it would have to be ordered and wait(and get a manual and a sunroof for free if you flag the auto)

I know that it's illegal and dangerous to use RFTs on a car that is not set-up for them, that is it doesn't have a tyre pressure monitor system to tell you when you have a flat and the first you know about it is when the tyre blows out, but I've never heard of it being an issue the other way around...?

Run flat tyres were terrible on E92 , switched to PSS and never looked back

Agreed with above poster, what they hell were they smoking??, maybe you need to find a better tyre shop to get some advice .....