Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E46 towing kit options and part numbers

This is a bit of an evergreen for me. I keep coming back to it, but I've finally found time to dig a little deeper.

First: a chart showing models and part numbers, details lifted from RealOEM:

E46%2Btow%2Bparts.JPG

This is the relevant diagram, also from RealOEM:

202.png

I should probably have left the compact off the chart, but the details may be useful for someone.

The touring, coupe and sedan details are taken for a 2002MY, July manufacture, fitted with the M47N engine, but I doubt there will be any difference for a petrol-engined fitment. The compact details apply to a Jan 2003 model.

The 'Accessories and Retrofittings' page (not shown) shows the Touring to use kit p/n 71601096674. The sedan and coupe both use p/n 71601096401.

So, it appears many parts are identical and thus interchangeable. I may have misunderstood, but it looks as though the detachable part - the flat bar that protrudes from the rear of the car, complete with towball, is the same on the sedan and coupe but different on the touring - I think there is more extension on the bar fitted to the touring. The main frame which fits under the car (and isn't quickly detachable!) looks to be the same part across touring, sedan and coupe models.

This would fit with the retrofitting kit, as that kit will include the frame and the detachable bar with ball.

I've not tried to cover electrics at this stage. There is a full wiring kit available from BMW, which runs from the rear of the car all the way forward to the engine bay. Aftermarket installations are likely to take a simpler route of splicing into existing wiring and (hopefully!) using a relay.

Wiring kits with relays don't work very well on the face-lifted E46, due to way the side / brake lights are pulsed to give different brightness.

• Like 1

Wiring kits with relays don't work very well on the face-lifted E46, due to way the side / brake lights are pulsed to give different brightness.

I wasn't aware of that... I suspect a lot of aftermarket fitters aren't either.

I'd much prefer to do the job properly anyway. :)

Skip trying to get the 'OEM' tow kit thing ... theyre still moon beams expensive for some reason when is yet to be explained to me. Also Westfalia agent in NZ is stupid expensive too.

The manufacture that does this for BMW is a company called Westfalia. I got some of mine from Ray/Hell BM and the rest from Schmiedmann.

The kit you want is "Towing hitch detachable vertical original Westfalia"

Search it in the text field in the search box on the Schmiedmann website. Will cost you about 1k to land. They have aftermarket wiring kits. .. You need to select the right version depending if you have mtech rear bumper or not. You may need to get the bumper valance insert if so.

here is my thread on my 540 install.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/48640-westfalia-detachable-tow-bar-hitch-e39-540i-motorsport/?hl=westfalia

Wiring: Dodging it up wont work properly unfortunately. You can load up your LKM/LCM (light control module) ... which has a lot more that just light control loaded into it as its one of the main coded modules in the car. It wasn't designed to drive extra bulbs on the curcuit or relays and will start throwing errors or worse.
You need to either run the OEM module (just get one second hand) and wire it in. Or go for the aftermarket wiring loom which covers it quite well.
I used a OEM system and modified the euro plug output to suit the scaled back AUS/NZ wiring standard. See thread above.

I have a full kit on a parts car

2001 320i

The thinking behind the part numbers was seeing what interchangeability there might be, rather than trying to find the original BMW kit.

I have a full kit on a parts car

2001 320i

I think this is a saloon? Regardless, it'd be useful to see if the underbody frame does fit into the touring. If nothing else, it'd be one piece out of the way! :)

Those part numbers and the inter-changeability tie up with what I found out fitting my tow-bar.

The coupe / saloon bar doesn't fit on the wagon due to the lock for the rear hatch sticking out a bit further in the middle, which would be why the Part No. 8 look to be different lengths. I "engineered" a solution to get around the problem as I was already committed to buying the bar and needed to use it urgently.

I have wired a few E46's with relays. Never seen an issue with LCM. For tail light (due to low voltage control) I simply connect to licence plate lamp circuit which is 12v

Good idea Grant - I never thought of doing that!!