Sign in to follow this  
4DoorE30

E30 engine conversion

Im looking at doing a engine swap in my 87 PFL E30. It is currently a 320i(m20b20) hooked up to a Getrag 240 I believe. Im not sure what engine to go with and how much work is involved. Im looking at a m50/52 b25/28 which can hook up to my current transmission if im not mistaken. Otherwise I was thinking of just swapping for a m20b25 and purhaps turboing or super charging it. My budget is about 3-4k but I can do majority of the labour myself. Im not looking for rediculous power, just enough to make it walk the walk aswell as talk the talk. About 200hp would be enough I think. Let me know what you think.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-838592257.htm

I think i have read that exact post over 400 times on the internet.

Please do not be offended by this, but have you actually done any research whatsoever?

There are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of threads on the topic.

what you need, what works and doesn't work, power expectations, etc etc etc.

I spent more time researching than actually doing the job. sounds boring, but you will know when you are ready to do your swap and have your car off the road for minimal time

• Like 3

Perhaps someone who has done an engine conversion can recommend one and it could be sticky'ed?

Cant really do a proper turbo setup for 3-4k, you could do it, but it wouldnt be flash. You would be better off doing a 2.8 M52 or maybe a M54B30 if you can get the parts cheap enough.

Thanks for the input guys. And yes I have done research, alot in fact. Iv'e probably read 4-5 threads that actually helped and the rest are just people saying to do research. I know there are people who would be happy to share there knowledge on this forum, even if its just copying and pasting what they read somewhere else. Does anyone know who the guy is thats selling that conversion kit on trademe I linked? I think it seems like pretty good value.

I would say 3-4k is good for an m50 conversion. We have a similar starting base (e30 wise). I collected information and parts for about a year before actually embarking on my m50 journey. Dont be a retard like me and buy a m50b25 non vanos. Its nice and all if you have enough coin to run an aftermarket computer and all but for a 4k budget look for a vanos engine, parts are much more abundant.

If you are into the whole driving your vehicle at track days etc don't bother with the factory clutch it will be kaka after a few days at the track (edit: we were at a skid pan day).

If you are looking for a car that will out pull your mates honda you will need more than 2.5 liters to do it. consider a 2.8+. Or buy a 4.6 diff. The 320i diff will be good if it is really well looked after. So considering it probably isn't, get a medium case.

Completed the actual swap in 1-2 months. getting the car road legal was another hurdle. Work involved is really straight forward. Hardest part was probably the exhaust manifold, which is quite simple.

there are a few threads on BS that are quite detailed. Just read through and collect parts. Make a list, it helps.

the E30tech wiki is probably your best bet.

most of the US threads are also still correct for our cars, despite the fact they are left hand drive. really the only difference in terms of this for rhd versus lhd is ignore anything they say to do with the exhaust, you will be doing your own. and the clutch has a different us for us, for them it runs off the brake reservoir