Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

Recommended Angel-Eye LEDs?

Hey guys - me again :P

Anyone able to recommend some good LED replacements for the incandescent bulbs in my e39s Angeleyes?

Also, anyone have any experience with setting them up as a "always on" DRL?

Their was a direct replacement unit for these on trade me a while back. just google the DRl bit should be heaps of info on it.

Most of the cheap angle eye LEDs will "strobe" during bulb checks, and its dangerous and looks ghey.

Mine were about $20 from ebay 2 or 3 years ago. They strobed initially, so I fitted the LCM4 to stop it because the flashing while driving on dull day made a few people wave at me while looking blankly at me... and there is a possibility that someone may think you're giving way to them, and they pull into your path causing an accident... which could potentially be blamed on you. If you survive. The strobe occurs several times at start up and then every so often while driving (a minute???) one light, then the other. It looks arse.

More expensive ones SOMETIMES don't (Mtec? don't, but are about $100 or something), but you need to check.

"Error free" or "Can bus compatible" does NOT mean they won't strobe, it means they won't cause bulb out errors. You can code out the errors anyway, but the ONLY way to code out the strobe from the checks is to upgrade to an LCM4 from a late E39, or an E53 X5. You can also try a myriad of capacitors and relays etc, that work for SOME people.

You can't code them as DRL's, you have to rewire them for that to happen.

You can't really get enough light out of them to bother having them as DRL anyway - they basically look OFF unless it's a dull day. The fibreoptics in the lights don't allow enough light around, regardless of the bulb brightness. They'll never look like the more modern BMW's without a lot of work.

You can set them as additional turn signals though.

I've done the rewiring to have them as DRL and to also run with the interior lights so they turn on when locking and unlocking.

You need a soldering iron, transistors and a single throw single pole switch. A double throw single pole will work too. Gets a bit more complicated if you want a bypass switch to have them off or on if you decide you want to also control them manually from cabin.

Most of the cheap angle eye LEDs will "strobe" during bulb checks, and its dangerous and looks ghey.

Mine were about $20 from ebay 2 or 3 years ago. They strobed initially, so I fitted the LCM4 to stop it because the flashing while driving on dull day made a few people wave at me while looking blankly at me... and there is a possibility that someone may think you're giving way to them, and they pull into your path causing an accident... which could potentially be blamed on you. If you survive. The strobe occurs several times at start up and then every so often while driving (a minute???) one light, then the other. It looks arse.

More expensive ones SOMETIMES don't (Mtec? don't, but are about $100 or something), but you need to check.

"Error free" or "Can bus compatible" does NOT mean they won't strobe, it means they won't cause bulb out errors. You can code out the errors anyway, but the ONLY way to code out the strobe from the checks is to upgrade to an LCM4 from a late E39, or an E53 X5. You can also try a myriad of capacitors and relays etc, that work for SOME people.

You can't code them as DRL's, you have to rewire them for that to happen.

You can't really get enough light out of them to bother having them as DRL anyway - they basically look OFF unless it's a dull day. The fibreoptics in the lights don't allow enough light around, regardless of the bulb brightness. They'll never look like the more modern BMW's without a lot of work.

You can set them as additional turn signals though.

Mine are bright enough on a clear day !

Posted Image

Mine are bright enough on a clear day !

but aren't in an E39 :P

Yea I definitely want to get LEDs for in em. I've found some "non flicker" ones they have capacitors in em or something.

I wish my car would flash lights with the build in alarm/locking. Listening for the "clonks" or looking for the tops move is annoying when walking towards it during the day :P

Can help you with the circuit wiring .. If your interior lights turn on when you unlock then they angel eyes will turn on. Otherwise you could tap into the alarm circuit which blips the indicators .. Though if your alarm install was any good then its going to be difficult to find the right wire. For them to flash on and off when unlocking you can use a separate relay which triggers from your alarm .. Once you get your head around the circuitry you can rig the lights to do almost whatever you want.

Code it to flash the indicators when locking, then set angels as additional turn signals. Easy (with BMW Scanner 1.4, or NCS). I ca do it for you... but the 10 hour drive is more expensive than the software costs:

http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1-4-0-car-diagnostic-interface-tool-code-reader.html US$29.99

• Like 1

LEDs can handle PWM pulse with modulation fine. Which is what is used for the dimming of interior lights. No flicker just a gradual fade. If you observe closely enough you may be able to notice the step dim changes but you have to look pretty close.