Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

530i Fuel economy

I just got 700km out of my first fill - which considering the size of the engine and weight of the car I think is pretty awesome :D

Dare I say its better than my H22A prelude was..

What kind of fuel economy do you get from your bimmer?

I just got 700km out of my first fill - which considering the size of the engine and weight of the car I think is pretty awesome :D

Dare I say its better than my H22A prelude was..

What kind of fuel economy do you get from your bimmer?

That mainly highway driving? According to the display I can get about ~800 highway driving. But around town most of the time I get around 400 to a tank :D. e39 530i

That mainly highway driving? According to the display I can get about ~800 highway driving. But around town most of the time I get around 400 to a tank :D. e39 530i

Thats all over wellington, plenty of hooning about (only got the car this week, novelty has yet to wear off) in the city, several good hard belting 0-100s along the hutt motorway.

• Like 1

Your doing better than I ever have, i've owned 3x E39's and 2x Preludes with the H22a, they were quite fast for a 2.2L with 200hp etc.

None of the E39's have been that economical, but are fine for the type / class of car.

I struggle to do better than 12L/100k for around town driving in my 530i, on a trip 9-9.5L/100k, cars got a 70L tank, so I guess I can do over 700k on a trip, but around town its less, more like 550-580k a tank.

I guess for mixed driving, town and country its around 11L/100k.

Official Stats for the 530i:

http://bmw-specifications.com/5_series/e39/e39_2-edycja/250/530ia.html

• Like 1

I do use cruise control a lot, and tend to waft-accelerate about as I love the growl my new exhaust has at lower-mid RPM.

Thats all over wellington, plenty of hooning about (only got the car this week, novelty has yet to wear off) in the city, several good hard belting 0-100s along the hutt motorway.

Those traffic lights on the motorway can be annoying but they make for a great way to test the cars 0-100 capabilities!

Edited by Kepes
  • Like 1

Those traffic lights on the motorway can be annoying but they make for a great way to test the cars 0-100 capabilities!

Exactly, same with the ones near whitby haha...

During one of my trips to Coromandel, I had reset the avg fuel consumption (L/100km) before the trip and managed to get a reading down to 7.1L/100km as I was cruising on the highway - with a calculated range showing ~870km. That's probably the lowest reading I've seen during any of my drives. Obviously the average for the entire trip was worse than that once I reached the mountains etc. :)

Around town I get more like 15-20L/100km ... My average weekly reading is ~15, which involves 5 days of city driving and 1-2 days of motorway driving.

12.1L/100k on short runs, 8.0L/100k on motorway at 100-110 speed, have had the car for 9 years and consumption has been constant over that time

stop startt traffic,short runs ,and hills kill the consumption,except if you have a diesel,they dont seem to vary much at all.

02 530 motorsport gets us over or about 700km each tank- we live rural so lots of open road driving. The best average for a tank I have had is 8.4l/100km

Edit- Hoi!! What do you mean, good for the weight of the car- these things are light, they ain't no Comodoore :P

Edited by Kopua Cowboy

If you're getting hideous consumption in an E39, check this:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47848-e39-obc-secret-menu-ktmp-coolant-temperature/?hl=%2Bsecret+%2Bobc+%2Bmenu

The temp gauge on the E39 is about as useful as those blue and red lights on a Yaris - The read normal even when the engine is cold or hot.

if it's running just a bit cold, it'll eat gas. It's like short trips eat gas, as the engine never gets to temp.

Don't forget you have a 70L tank so you can be given the illusion you are getting great mileage.

I get around 9.0L/100kms around town with no open road driving in the E60 530D. (would have to check the computer again as recently traffic has been sh*t)

Open road is around 6L/100kms on cruise control.

The old E39 540 on average was doing 13.8L/100kms around town.

S62 powered M3: 13.5L/100km with raerae driving Nth Shore to Hampton Downs and back. With me driving generally hovers around 20L/100km.

Haha good job Raerae.

10.1 in Schnitzer Daily driver, spouts of traffic.

10.8L/100km in the M3.

Spirited open road driving with very rare occasion in traffic.

Haha good job Raerae.

10.1 in Schnitzer Daily driver, spouts of traffic.

10.8L/100km in the M3.

Spirited open road driving with very rare occasion in traffic.

My reading is sitting on 11.1 atm - still getting over the novelty so still heavy footed at times. Love the way my new exhaust sounds - i was also naughty and got a K&N filter... The filter I replaced was FILTHY.

Anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in welly to do my oil and coolant?

Jk southern euro. They're in Newtown. Jon's a good guy, and he's a forum sponsor

• Like 1

Jk southern euro. They're in Newtown. Jon's a good guy, and he's a forum sponsor

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.