Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid

Need some help with my beautiful E30

Hi!

I'm 22, almost finished with my piano performance degree, and I have a 1990 318i E30 that I absolutely love. I'm learning about how to fix and service it, partly because it's fun and partly because I'm a broke student. I'm replacing a leaking power steering hose (took it to a mechanic, but he just resealed it and it's still leaking, so I'll do it myself). It's the low-pressure hose coming off the ATF reservoir, and it should be a pretty simple job. However, since it's my only car and my boyfriend and I use it on a daily basis, I'm really screwed if I mess it up or break something. I was wondering if there's anyone out there in the Wellington area who would be willing to be sort of on call in case I catastrophically mess it up. I would totally give you some fresh-baked cookies. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

I would totally give you some fresh-baked cookies.

give me more info on said cookies??

Pretty simple job, quite common to be leaking or weeping at this age, recommend buying new, BMW dealer will have a listing, no idea on price, or get it made up at a hydraulics place, but probably need a spare part to show them what you want.

the other alternative is delete the power steering system all together. a lot of 316i don't have it. The M40 engine in your car is not very heavy, steering is still pretty light when you are moving. make sure you get a smaller belt that bypasses the power steering pump, you don't want that spinning anymore.

Thumbs up for giving it a go yourself, should be a simple remove and replace but you never know with E30's.

• Like 1

low pressure off the reservoir? if it's anything like an E28 you can just use a new hose from para rubber and a couple of hose clamps.