Sign in to follow this  
gjm

'Open' speed limits

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/02/02/03/19/open-speed-limits-could-be-extended-across-the-northern-territory

This probably refers to a 200km long, straight piece of road with no junctions on it... Oz is a big place after all!

However, it has often been suggested that drivers drive better when they can drive at a pace of their choosing, and which suits their concentration level.

Not sure it'd work with the driver of an overloaded Whanau wagon, eating a pie, driving with one hand and watching the match on his in-vehicle portable TV, though. (My apologies for the stereotyping - this is just what I saw using both lanes and the hard shoulder of SH1 between Mercer and Pokeno this morning.)

I agree that on certain roads, an open speed approach can work, but for NZ i think they need to focus on a KEEP LEFT on the motorway for a starter and stop getting pedantic on small duration over-speed limit situations (over taking periods). This will allow traffic to flow better, ensure people are more aware of their surroundings, and keep peoples minds working.

Edited by Beeker2
  • Like 4

What a waste of money... there were no speed limits on open roads in the NT until 2007 - then they introduced 110 and 130 km/h limits and now they're saying they've successfully trialed what was ubiquitous from 1967 to 2007...

Only an Australian could do that...

State Govt. at the time set the limit to 130kmh... Citing fatal accident stats... Which little to none were speed related. Think drunk abos driving over loaded cars that will never pass a RWC.

I work in Western Australia as diesel mechanic and drive up to 900km in one day all rural for breakdowns. Our speed limits are 110kmh and aren't enforced. If driving a light vehicle you don't want to be on the road between sun set- sun light due to cows, roos and the odd horse and dingo. So yes for Australia vast rural highways the open limit where the drivier is entrusted and responsible for driving to the conditions is a great idea. We have 70 series Land Cruisers and these thngs are in no way ideal to drive at 130kmh. Even 110kmh is pushing it, exposing the flaw in the enforced 130kmh NT limit. A Commodore will be safer at 160kmh than one of those Cruisers at 130!

The Hume highway could handle 130kmh limits. I can't really see an increase in NZ limit being beneficial. The only suitable road I can think of would be the Waikato expressway to Puhoi, but the amount of retarded drivers in NZ will show what a waste of time it is. I rate the driving standard as far as etiquitte and common sense goes higher in Oz than NZ.

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

Thought those nice straight dual carriage ways between akl and Hamilton with centre dividers could do with a higher speed limit...

Thought those nice straight dual carriage ways between akl and Hamilton with centre dividers could do with a higher speed limit...

I think you'll see them get the new 110kph, if luck prevails.

Have driven almost all the State Highways in New Zealand now.

Australian Terrian is totally different to New Zealands.

Despite living in Wellington, only two places i could reasonably say that 100km/h is too slow is the Waikato expressway, and Auckland Northern Motorway after Albany, in that order. intercity motorways 100 is fast enough, and the open road is just too windy.

Potentially the Desert Road could be increased north of Waiouru for the 20km or so before it starts to get windy.

• Like 1

Outside lane, min 120 + overtaking only

Works well.

Min and Max to be 120km/h, every single car gunna get a ticket!

• Like 1

But really, what is the point in increasing the limit a measely 10kmh for a distance of less than 100km. Apart from causing confusion with varying limits within one stretch of road (maybe the govt coffers haven't thought of this...), it's not going to achieve anything apart from burning more fuel and giving a few city slickers who venture on the open road twice a year a good feeling for driving 'fast'. Heavy vehicles and towing vehicles still limited to 90kmh. Retarded drivers will still hog the right hand lane traveling the same speed as the car next to them. Retarded drivers will still merge onto the motorway/expressway at 60-80kmh. Retarded drivers in the lane being merged will switch lanes to their right and fail to increase speed, so now all lanes are down to whatever speed the muppet has merged at. So there goes any argument for it improving traffic flow.

Of course it may be a different story off peak/at night, but maybe the revenue raisers could use some discretion, or maybe tackle real criminals.

When you have 1000-1500km to travel in one day like people in Aus face then fair enough. In NZ, you're going to get held up by SH1 town crossings/traffic lights, tourists doing 80kmh, road works. It may just be easier to travel at night or leave one hour earlier.

Failing that, just jump on two wheels.

Edited by coop
  • Like 4

But really, what is the point in increasing the limit a measely 10kmh for a distance of less than 100km.

I'm for it. Anyone that's driven from Dunedin to Christchurch of some of the central South Island roads would have to agree.

Another equally annoying problem on our roads is for light trailers limited to 90kph. Personally I think it's more dangerous than operating at 100kph with a trailer.

I'm for it. Anyone that's driven from Dunedin to Christchurch of some of the central South Island roads would have to agree.

Why? How much ground/time will you gain?!

It will all be lost when you get a red light in Oamaru, Timaru and Ashburton (I'm ex linehaul truckie, and I used to get red lights down there ALL the time).

If not then you'll get a Fonterra tanker pulling out on you somewhere along the way who are limited to 90k ;)

The best way to get around all that is to leave half hr early!

• Like 2

It will all be lost when you get a red light in Oamaru, Timaru and Ashburton (I'm ex linehaul truckie, and I used to get red lights down there ALL the time).

If not then you'll get a Fonterra tanker pulling out on you somewhere along the way who are limited to 90k ;) 

Maybe its more frustration factor and also our cars like to go faster. But I fully agree with you

Maybe its more frustration factor and also our cars like to go faster. But I fully agree with you

Yeah I can relate. But I'd say if they did up the limit then there would be little to no tolerance, maybe 4kmh at the most.

I could see frustration increase to be honest. 110k limit = higher average speed = catching up to slower traffic more often... in particular those who haven't heard of cruise control... slowing for most corners and narrowing sections of road, flutuating their speed all over the place, frustration thru the roof.

As some have said, it's not the limits, it's the driving behaviour, which is unbelievably poor. People who underpass on the motorway should be pulled over and shot.

People should never have to do that. Cause and consequence. If somebody *needs* to underpass you then *you* are in the wrong lane.

and it's absolutely legal, as it is on a passing lane.

People should never have to do that. Cause and consequence. If somebody *needs* to underpass you then *you* are in the wrong lane.

Not always.

It may be legal, but it's f**king idiotic.

If not then you'll get a Fonterra tanker pulling out on you somewhere along the way who are limited to 90k ;)

But...

Why not just drop the limit to 80kph then. Then all accidents will be survivable and you wont loose much time by your calc's?

I'm all for sensible limits on relevant roads and the police targeting non sensible driving as opposed to " easy to catch zero tolerance speeding". I find it simply stupid they encourage people to 'ídle''on the wrong side of the road when overtaking when people have fear of getting a ticket. Crazy...