Sign in to follow this  
adz

E30 gravel eater

www.pelicanparts.com

www.fcpeuro.com

OEM parts for way cheaper than you'll pay at the dealers, far bigger range too. Even with the dollar shedding =/- US20c it's often still cheaper than the aftermarket equivalent locally.

What state are the cams in with regard to scoring / pitting? Looks like you might have a bit of a trench on E2, bit hard to tell from the photos though.

Sweet had a look into those gaskets on pelican last night seem pretty well priced. Will see what shipping adds to it.

Na the cams are in pretty good nick, it's probably just a little bit of grim that your seeing, they need wiped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have been working away on this, getting bits and pieces sorted.

Have cleaned up all the engine, and am starting to put it back together. So much cleaner!
IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1565.jpg

Been struggling to find M3 panels, mainly the rear quarters. As I don't want to go fibreglass because of gravel destroying it, I've been looking at options.

Heres one I quite like the look of, just flared guards but running the M3 C pillar trim and boot/spoiler. Think it might be an option, at least until I can get my hands on some more M3 panels. WIll be alot cheaper in the short term also

SwedishBMWVolvoTurbo_30.jpg

SwedishBMWVolvoTurbo_25.jpg

Edited by adz
photos not in order

Have also been playing round with a couple of ideas for pedal boxes as the wilwood floor mount won't fit by my measurements and the others are too expensive. So have thrown this together on my architectural software, and some ideas around a short shifter, and even a hydro handbrake. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Quick question for someone in the know. The BMW torque settings for the M52, from that PDF download, is 40Nm, then 90-90. The head bolt set from Pelican parts says 30-32Nm then 90-90.

Any ideas as to which should be used?

Cheers

Gimme a yell if you ever get stuck Adam, I'll shoot around with all the info I have.

Bentley manual says to do it in 3 stages, torque to 30Nm then turn 90 degrees then 90 degrees.

Wicked, cheers I'll get busy tonight getting it torqued down. I'll definitely catch up with you at some point re M50 manifold etc. 

So after Saturday out watching the catlins rally in the snow and ice, cheering on Ari Pettigrew in a 318ti, https://www.facebook.com/aripettigrewmotorsport/

he was seeded 62nd but ran 2nd until the last 2 stages, ended up 4th. A real awesome peddler!!

anyways, back in the garage started to torque the head down with the new head bolts, 30Nm all around, then 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees. Bang the first bolt lets go. Seems like it's pulled the thread out of the block. Is it all good to drill out, helicoil and rebolt the head down? And also can I reused the bolts that I have just put in?

common problem. timesert them, helicoils are crap

Edited by polley

25 minutes ago, polley said:

common problem. timesert them, helicoils are crap

Interesting.... I've never had a problem with a helicoil before, both the timesert and helicoils do the same thing, can you tell me what the difference is between the two?

Either way, definitely repairable.

Can you buy the timesert kits in NZ? I've only found them on eBay etc

So, have had a few distractions with this build, selling and moving houses, kids etc

By t back into it now, have been steadily sourcing parts needed, but stumbled across a 328i on Manheim that had had a hit on the drivers front, guessing ran up the back of a truck by the looks. But a minter apart from that, manual with 55kms. So it’s easier just to chuck the whole engine gearbox in to get us going now. Happy days.

Even had the original sales sheet in the service/manual folder. 

$98,360 new!! Didn’t realise they were that expensive. Has a mint cream leather interior. 

9FF56AE5-D464-4726-AF88-9BDD587040B2.jpeg

810DD2C4-968B-479B-B451-72A900B0B238.jpeg

F0070D9B-7F9A-4B3D-A7B6-8A2EE7B7D4BC.jpeg

7FF8DD85-8CB1-4990-B3FE-0407F323A996.jpeg

• Like 2

Started stripping the E36 out, Getty f ready to pull the engine, these things are great to work on. Pretty much got it ready to pull out now, minus engine mounts. Pulled the exhaust off, didn’t realise these things had a full stainless system in them. 

Will strip out the interior, if anyone is keen for a mint condition cream leather interior, hit me up. Also panels etc

0D7FC755-328E-4D50-90F1-E1611A0A909D.jpeg

86DF76BA-3633-40F4-8AAD-C74459CA3C00.jpeg

1CF8CA68-AD8F-425D-B71D-992FF5C6C65B.jpeg

• Like 1

Got some more work done over the weekend, got the engine and gearbox out.

Very happy to see the state of the clutch, looks like its new, nice little bonus. Stripped the sump off the engine ready to replace with my E34 M50 sump. What has everyone else done with the oil level sender on their sumps? Mine didn't come with the plug.

IMG_1685.thumb.jpg.b378f35f4c7ac701fe46d4fbd0a1a84b.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

• Like 1

The oil level sensor I blanked off as my sump didn't come with one either. Ended up just grounding out the wire with a resistor to stop the oil level light on the check panel. 

On 2/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, nick496 said:

The oil level sensor I blanked off as my sump didn't come with one either. Ended up just grounding out the wire with a resistor to stop the oil level light on the check panel. 

Did you just make a plate and bolt that down with some gasket seal?

10 minutes ago, adz said:

Did you just make a plate and bolt that down with some gasket seal?

Yep that's the one.

Hows the car looking now. Just found this post and will be going down the same route one day.

Hey,

Change of plans here, ended up going for a e36 compact & chucked all my gear into that. Just a much easier route & "should" get me flicking gravel sooner.

Edited by adz