Sign in to follow this  
richard.pykett

E21 Group 5 Build

Wheels have arrived. Rears are 11.5 x 18 -67. Looks like we have stuffed up on the fronts and the offset is 25mm too much. Mocked up the tyres for the front to get a better idea and am much happier with that. Need to order some new fronts, but we can now progress with the rear bodywork whilst the rims are made and shipped.

20151003 181943

20151003 181842

20151003 181824

20151003 181750

20151003 181739

Edited by Skintkarter
  • Like 5

That's some wide rubber on the rear!

Incredible fabrication skills, you have more patience than me, that's for sure

What kind of total weight are you aiming for?

That's some wide rubber on the rear!

Incredible fabrication skills, you have more patience than me, that's for sure

Thanks Troy! The rears are ex Supertourer 280/680/18's and the fronts are Porsche Cup 240/640/18's

What kind of total weight are you aiming for?

Hi Nathan - hoping for around 1000kg without driver Engine should be circa 600hp (flywheel) when we get it going and lots of torque. Murchy reckons it will pull from around 3500 and run through to 7500 or 8000. Gonna leave it at 2.5 to make it rev and keep the rod stoke ratio up there. Gearing with the TTi sequential 5spd 1:1 top will give us around 245 over the stripe at HD at 7500 :)

• Like 1

What is wrong with this world, we have a group 5 replica project thread with 3 pages, then a myriad of threads with 10+ pages where people just talk about doing wheels and springs.

Keep up the good sh*t Richard!

• Like 8

It's just too awesome and hard to relate to. I'm sure if skintkarter did something wrong people would share. But everything is awesome. From the parts choices, custom fabrication, custom tools(the swage tool is beautiful), and that fuel system. Pretty much it's all very inspiring and i'm getting a bit repetitive.

• Like 2

It's just too awesome and hard to relate to. I'm sure if skintkarter did something wrong people would share. But everything is awesome. From the parts choices, custom fabrication, custom tools(the swage tool is beautiful), and that fuel system. Pretty much it's all very inspiring and i'm getting a bit repetitive.

Thanks James - you are very kind! Just chugging along making it up as I go and making as much as I can in house to keep the costs down. Currently about to machine some toothed pulleys for the diff mounted alternator - go to remember how to use a dividing head and a fly cutter. Been a few years... Big push on to get the car to a stable rolling state, as I've been asked to show it on the Euro Car Club stand at the 4 and Rotary National show at the end of January. Lots to do!

Cheers, Richard

What is wrong with this world, we have a group 5 replica project thread with 3 pages, then a myriad of threads with 10+ pages where people just talk about doing wheels and springs.

Keep up the good sh*t Richard!

Thanks also James! Big push over the next few weeks. Feel free to keep up with us on Elan Motorsport facebook. I post a bit more on there.

Awesome to see this in the flesh at speedshow today, looks even better than in the pictures, great piece of engineering so far! Can't wait to see it finished.

On 7/17/2016 at 5:37 PM, aja540i said:

Awesome to see this in the flesh at speedshow today, looks even better than in the pictures, great piece of engineering so far! Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers Andrew - sorry have only just seen this. Looking forward to hearing it bark ourselves :)

Long time no post. Looks like it is easier to attach normal pictures now. Well done to the admins if this is the case.

Lots of progress I guess since my last post with the mechanical fabrication almost complete. Radiator cores should be here for Christmas from the very helpful Norm Whiteside at Adrad in Penrose and the rear caliper dogbones are being munched this week on a 5 axis CNC machine by a friend. GGS Performance can then come in and do the s/s brake hardlines and then its back on the jig table to start building the buck for the body panels. Panels will all be 1.2 and 1.6 aluminium. Expect that the panels and wing will be a 12 month exercise part time.

20161203_193210.jpg

• Like 2

How much weight do you think you will save with the panels being aluminium instead of steel?

...and why not a full carbon fiber body.

Can certainly see the attraction of the 'metal working' with them being AL, you've certainly developed a flair in the art.

Been keeping track of progress via facebook - amazing work!

11 hours ago, zero said:

How much weight do you think you will save with the panels being aluminium instead of steel?

Dunno Nathan... Originals has body kits in glass with around 50 different iterations. Our needs to be subtly different around the front end to accommodate the 18's (originals ran 16's) so flares will end up higher and more DTM than original. Hopeful that all up weight will be around 1000kgs.

11 hours ago, E30-323ti said:

...and why not a full carbon fiber body.

Can certainly see the attraction of the 'metal working' with them being AL, you've certainly developed a flair in the art.

Been keeping track of progress via facebook - amazing work!

I no nuffinck about composites... :) Mind you, I don't know a heap more about aluminium, but have friends who are gods with it and I've built all of the required gear, so Ali it is. A flat pack body kit from Ullrich... Thanks for the comment and for following the build. I'm blown away by the interest!

Pretty well, it’s being updated on Facebook.